Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Very sorry to hear and see that happen to you.

It's not unheard of for a striker to break, particularly with a lot of dry fire practice. Some weapons systems specifically warn against any sort of dry fire without snap caps.

Glocks would not appear to be immune to the phenomena

Curious... how much dry fire practice are we talking about? You say about a months worth. How many repetitions might you guess that you've done in this time? Not that any particular number would justify the striker breaking but I'm curious what it took for it to break.
Easily 1000 reps, maybe more? And I did use snap caps for the more lengthy sessions, I have a feeling its down to the hole in the breach face being just slightly out of spec and it was causing a non uniform impact. The striker itself did look mildly pitted so this may just been a poorly molded striker, either way its getting sold when I either get a replacement striker from Walther or after I ship the gun back and fourth between them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Easily 1000 reps, maybe more? And I did use snap caps for the more lengthy sessions, I have a feeling its down to the hole in the breach face being just slightly out of spec and it was causing a non uniform impact. The striker itself did look mildly pitted so this may just been a poorly molded striker, either way its getting sold when I either get a replacement striker from Walther or after I ship the gun back and fourth between them.

Thanks for that info.

Pretty undeniable that the Glock parts availability is superior. The ability to walk into virtually every gun store in existence and purchase replacement parts is a big plus. Top tier reliability, too. None of that is enough to get me to carry a Glock but I see why they appeal to folks. My G17 clone has done right by me (and it isn't even true Glock Perfection, frame/slide/barrel are aftermarket).

Walther got it right with the P99. The PPQ and PDP both fail to inspire the same sort of enthusiasm from me.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Streamlight?
If you're serious about reliability (as you claim to be) SureFire is the only light to trust.

Reactions: STR1

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Streamlight?
If you're serious about reliability (as you claim to be) SureFire is the only light to trust.
when surefire can make a reflector worth a fuck and actually BEAT stream lights output in candela then sure, I am always going to buy streamlight over them because they simply beat them in performance and throw. My x300ub is relegated to making my 2011 look good and that's it.(this x300 came with a bad switch from the factory as well, CS was superb though.)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
So, a better reflector, and max lumen (vs lights rated output) trumps reliability.
Got it. 👍

It's not as reliable as a SureFire, but it used to be better before it failed.

You may want to check warranty between the two manufacturers too. Hint, Surefire covers everything, no questions asked.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So, a better reflector, and max lumen (vs lights rated output) trumps reliability.
Got it. 👍

It's not as reliable as a SureFire, but it used to be better before it failed.

You may want to check warranty between the two manufacturers too. Hint, Surefire covers everything, no questions asked.
5k on this light and I haven't seen any issues with it so far, if the light is good enough for sage dynamics, Its good enough for me. This will be an entirely moot point anyone once the Modlite PL350 is released, at which point both of these will be worthless.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Those who have been around equipment that gets pounded regularly understand why Surefire charges more.
As any "door kicker".

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Those who have been around equipment that gets pounded regularly understand why Surefire charges more.
As any "door kicker".
Dude in question kicked in more doors than I have and found the product to be more than acceptable for duty use, I trust his evaluation and testing methods.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Dude in question kicked in more doors than I have and found the product to be more than acceptable for duty use, I trust his evaluation and testing methods.
You still don't get it? I bought up the light choice to expose your hypocrisy.
Let's see now.....you dinged the PDP at the beginning of this thread for a striker failure, deemed it unacceptable, and switched to a Glock.
Then you go and use a light that's more prone to failure then the SureFire. Search Streamlight and Surefire failures to see what's up.

Reactions: olsoul

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You still don't get it? I bought up the light choice to expose your hypocrisy.
Let's see now.....you dinged the PDP at the beginning of this thread for a striker failure, deemed it unacceptable, and switched to a Glock.
Then you go and use a light that's more prone to failure then the SureFire. Search Streamlight and Surefire failures to see what's up.
We can do silly shit like this all day. I'm well aware of streamlight's failings within the rifle light market and I would wholly recommend surefire lights over them. But In terms of pistol lights streamlight has more than proven themselves to match and beat surefire's offerings in both output and durability. Calling me a hypocrite is just wrong. The PDP in question replaced an LTT Beretta which had a broken extractor claw from the factory. An Argument could be made that the Beretta should have been more reliable given its large service life with many police agencies and our military. I fully understand paying a premium for reliability when there IS A CASE TO BE MADE FOR IT, but in the instance of tlr1 vs x300, that just isn't there.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
We can do silly shit like this all day. I'm well aware of streamlight's failings within the rifle light market and I would wholly recommend surefire lights over them. But In terms of pistol lights streamlight has more than proven themselves to match and beat surefire's offerings in both output and durability. Calling me a hypocrite is just wrong. The PDP in question replaced an LTT Beretta which had a broken extractor claw from the factory. An Argument could be made that the Beretta should have been more reliable given its large service life with many police agencies and our military. I fully understand paying a premium for reliability when there IS A CASE TO BE MADE FOR IT, but in the instance of tlr1 vs x300, that just isn't there.
Oh yes, we can.
I had to return a Streamlight 1000 lumen Pro-Tac for repair when it started flickering during operation. Got it back, worked for a few weeks before it started flickering again!
This $140 light went in the garbage.

Was replaced with a SureFire EDCL2-T 1200 lumen light.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Oh yes, we can.
I had to return a Streamlight 1000 lumen Pro-Tac for repair when it started flickering during operation. Got it back, worked for a few weeks before it started flickering again!
This $140 light went in the garbage.

Was replaced with a SureFire EDCL2-T 1200 lumen light.
notice how I just specified PISTOL LIGHTS and not their other product lines. I understand their failings man but that's an apples to oranges comparison you are making.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
notice how I just specified PISTOL LIGHTS and not their other product lines. I understand their failings man but that's an apples to oranges comparison you are making.
I agree, drifted there to show my recent experience with a Streamlight product that was repaired, and continued to fail.
Speaks of the overall quality of the products the company releases to the public.
Back on topic, handgun lights.
Apples to apples waterproof ratings.
Streamlight is rated 1 meter (only 30 minutes IIRC)
Surefire is rated 10 meters (for 24 hrs IIRC).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I agree, drifted there to show my recent experience with a Streamlight product that was repaired, and continued to fail.
Speaks of the overall quality of the products the company releases to the public.
Back on topic, handgun lights.
Apples to apples waterproof ratings.
Streamlight is rated 1 meter (only 30 minutes IIRC)
Surefire is rated 10 meters (for 24 hrs IIRC).
IPx ratings are both listed at IPx7,which is 1 meter for 30 minutes. x400 and tlr 2 are both rated at IPx4 as well. so they are equal within water ingress ratings.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Finally got 500 rounds of 9mm and upon getting to the range found out my striker had broken sometime in between me zeroing the gun a month ago and my dry fire practice up until this point. I've potentially been carrying around a dead gun for up to a month. Check your strikers boys. Come Monday I'm calling Walther, getting a new striker and then dumping this POS, Should've bought a Glock from the start.
In the immortal words of Powers Boothe, "Well............... Bye".

Reactions: Vur

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is exactly the reason why I'm going with Glock. Walther simply does not have the parts availability to allow failures like this to happen. Tried to buy a striker as soon as I got home and was gonna brush it off, but once I saw that wasn't an option I had made up my mind.
Curious, where did you try to buy a striker? Parts availability is certainly a worthwhile concern, I've been known to acquire some spare parts and springs for guns that I have just in case. In our current times, I've found several manufacturers are struggling with parts availability--and what parts they do have seem to be slated for production of new guns. Over the past year I've encountered long parts lead times from the factory for several manufacturers including at least Glock, Beretta, Springfield and Sig Sauer, with at least Sig still having items on backorder. In an oddly poetic coincidence, Walther had the one part I needed in stock and had it out in a few days.

In terms of aftermarket support, you may have more options with Glock, though there are never guarantees. Two is one, one is none.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Curious, where did you try to buy a striker? Parts availability is certainly a worthwhile concern, I've been known to acquire some spare parts and springs for guns that I have just in case. In our current times, I've found several manufacturers are struggling with parts availability--and what parts they do have seem to be slated for production of new guns. Over the past year I've encountered long parts lead times from the factory for several manufacturers including at least Glock, Beretta, Springfield and Sig Sauer, with at least Sig still having items on backorder. In an oddly poetic coincidence, Walther had the one part I needed in stock and had it out in a few days.

In terms of aftermarket support, you may have more options with Glock, though there are never guarantees. Two is one, one is none.
20 minutes of googling around looking at Walther's own store and other online vendors lead me to the conclusion that I couldn't buy a striker from anywhere but Walther directly. I didn't find a single vendor that had a a striker or striker assembly for sale. There is probably one random store out there in the fringes of the internet that has one that I probably missed, but It sure as hell didn't come up within the first 30 or so results.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Only two places in the US to obtain genuine Walther parts....Walther Arms in Fort Smith, AND Earls Repair Service. Earl probably has at least 'one' of every Walther pistol every manufactured and the same goes for parts.

A little about Earl. Small American Business: Earl’s Repair Service, Inc. | Breach Bang Clear
Actually did check earls, didn't see any in his online store but I did not call, he may have one lying round in the back or something. I'll call when he opens.
Edit: just called and they said earl isn't in right now, will call me back in 30.

·
Premium Member
14,301 Posts
Earl can't list every part he's got on the internet.....it'd probably take up at least half the internet. Phone calls are best.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts