Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got 500 rounds of 9mm and upon getting to the range found out my striker had broken sometime in between me zeroing the gun a month ago and my dry fire practice up until this point. I've potentially been carrying around a dead gun for up to a month. Check your strikers boys. Come Monday I'm calling Walther, getting a new striker and then dumping this POS, Should've bought a Glock from the start.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's interesting because according to Walther it has the same 2807998 striker as the PPQ.... Then again, Google Glock broken striker and see how many hits you get.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Very sorry to hear and see that happen to you.

It's not unheard of for a striker to break, particularly with a lot of dry fire practice. Some weapons systems specifically warn against any sort of dry fire without snap caps.

Glocks would not appear to be immune to the phenomena

Curious... how much dry fire practice are we talking about? You say about a months worth. How many repetitions might you guess that you've done in this time? Not that any particular number would justify the striker breaking but I'm curious what it took for it to break.

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
Greg, that was easy enough.

Okay, I'm having a little trouble figuring out which one of these is a POS. Good luck with that Glock and 398,000 hits/results on Google.

I'd offer $250 for that broken down POS PDP......I need a new project.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's always frustrating when a new gun has an issue soon after purchase... or even worse, is a problem right out of the box. I've had issues with new firearms from major, respected manufacturers, and it sure is annoying. However, like many mechanical things, if there's a defect it will usually manifest itself fairly early on in the life cycle of the product, which is one of the principal reasons many people recommend you put several hundred rounds downrange before trusting a gun for self-defense purposes.

Unfortunately, in mass manufactured products, a few issues are bound to slip through and it happens to even the best manufacturers. Your replacement striker will probably solve the issue and the pistol will be fine. However, if you still want to part with it, I see you're already getting offers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Greg, that was easy enough.

View attachment 98083

View attachment 98084

Okay, I'm having a little trouble figuring out which one of these is a POS. Good luck with that Glock and 398,000 hits/results on Google.

I'd offer $250 for that broken down POS PDP......I need a new project.
You compared one specific model versus an entire company. Not really fair imo. Also you need to account for the total amount sold as I would imagine Glock sells more than Walther so naturally they would have more issues. I understand your point but it was really skewed to fit your narrative.

That being said I offer $255 for the broken down PDP. 😬

·
Registered
58 Posts
While it's unfortunate, anything mechanical can break. While your disappointment and anger are understandable, give Walther a chance to make it right. A second failure is probably about the same odds as me winning the lotto. But, if you're still not happy with your PDP after it's repaired, you can always replace it with a Glock.

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
You compared one specific model versus an entire company. Not really fair imo. Also you need to account for the total amount sold as I would imagine Glock sells more than Walther so naturally they would have more issues. I understand your point but it was really skewed to fit your narrative.

Well, just watch TV or cruise the net. Seems as though all the news (I really hate calling it that, because its not) is skewed to fit a particular narrative. Pretty much everything we're hearing today, as well as the last 4 years and 4 months is absolute FAKE poop.

As for Glocks, I have three. I keep em' in my tacklebox and use em' for trotline weights. I think they're probably so ugly, they scare the fish away, maybe I'll switch to Taurus.

I thought Glock used pretty much the same parts in all models, across the board....which would mean that maybe my comparisons are not as skewed as one might think.

Okay, I'll up my offer to $255.01.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Quality snap caps are a MUST HAVE for ALL dry firing......

They wear out too. Replace them every few thousand strikes/cycles.

Learn it, know it, live it.

·
Registered
121 Posts

True, it's not a perfect comparison, though the striker assembly is a part used in several models of Walther, and Glock uses the same striker assembly in several models of their pistols. We don't have the data to make a perfect comparison of the two, but I think the general point is that Glock pistols are not immune to striker failure.

But if the OP is really set on a polymer framed striker-fired alternative to the PDP, but has far greater ergonomics than the Glock, take a look at the Beretta APX. Basically an Italian Glock, and available for far less $$$. Yes, I know this is a Walther forum, but we are fortunate to have so many competitive options.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
l
It appears you have come into some money recently......$50 for the CCP and now $255 for the PDP!:D
I'm out of this.

I just closed on another ULTRA RARE unicorn Friday. Seller got the bank check in hand yesterday, sent overnight with Sat delivery.

It should be at my FFL before next weekend.

Sorry for the thread jack.

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
Hey, poop happens...get a new striker and as DUA pointed out, use snap caps.

I'm so opposed to pulling the trigger on an empty chamber just to field strip the weapon, I use the 'undocumented' technique (developed by the Skunk Works) to manually 'decock' my PPQ prior to field stripping.....saves wear and tear on the striker and possible breakage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
FWIW, I had this happen on my Q5 Match after thousands of rounds and dry fire. It took about 2.5 months to get a new striker from Walther because they were out of stock. Hopefully it won't take as long for you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Finally got 500 rounds of 9mm and upon getting to the range found out my striker had broken sometime in between me zeroing the gun a month ago and my dry fire practice up until this point. I've potentially been carrying around a dead gun for up to a month. Check your strikers boys. Come Monday I'm calling Walther, getting a new striker and then dumping this POS, Should've bought a Glock from the start. View attachment 98082
Well, that isn't good. Sorry that happened to you. Please let us know what Walther says about it.

Reactions: Vur

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Hey, poop happens...get a new striker and as DUA pointed out, use snap caps.

I'm so opposed to pulling the trigger on an empty chamber just to field strip the weapon, I use the 'undocumented' technique (developed by the Skunk Works) to manually 'decock' my PPQ prior to field stripping.....saves wear and tear on the striker and possible breakage.
I literally just threw out all of my old 9mm Para snap caps yesterday. That pic I posted is one of five 9mm snap cap packages that were delivered yesterday.
Replacement 45acp snap caps are on backorder, I should have them in a few weeks.
Snap caps are cheap, broken firearm parts are expensive, and sometimes fatal. 🤔

Reactions: STR1

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FWIW, I had this happen on my Q5 Match after thousands of rounds and dry fire. It took about 2.5 months to get a new striker from Walther because they were out of stock. Hopefully it won't take as long for you.
This is exactly the reason why I'm going with Glock. Walther simply does not have the parts availability to allow failures like this to happen. Tried to buy a striker as soon as I got home and was gonna brush it off, but once I saw that wasn't an option I had made up my mind.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, that isn't good. Sorry that happened to you. Please let us know what Walther says about it.
Oh I'll make a follow up post for sure, for what its worth I understand what happened to me is probably just a minority statistic, but at the same time If I had to use this gun in a defensive situation, a click instead of a bang is not the outcome I'm looking for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All is well, the Issue has been rectified by this lovely peanut butter colored blaster.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts