Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a new PDP compact, and discovered that the two accessory backstraps supplied do not fit the PDP frame, and cannot be used.
The dimension between the "tab" at the top of the backstrap (that inserts into the notch of the frame) and the hole for the retaining pin at the bottom of the backstrap for both of the two accessory backstraps is 13mm longer than that dimension of the backstrap installed in the gun as shipped.
Neither of the two accessory backstraps will fit the PDP frame, so cannot be used.

Attempts to convey this info, and get the correct accessory backstraps from Walther customer service have been futile, and eye-opening. The customer service reps that I've talked to regarding this issue are incapable of understanding the concepts regarding the fit between backstraps and frame, and are UNWILLING to discuss same. The last of three reps (didn't get a name) was rude and dismissive, and said that no one has complained regarding inability to install the supplied accessory backstraps on their PDP's, and he was therefore unwilling to discuss any further.

Attached are pics of the supplied backstraps, the one on the left is the correct one that fits the frame. The two on the right are the ones that are 13mm too long, which do not fit the frame. Walther customer service confirmed that the backstraps I received with my PDP are what they ship with every PDP.
Auto part Rectangle Camera accessory Watch Wood

This experience with Walther customer service was pretty unsatisfying and unsettling for a long-time owner of many Walthers...including several P99's that were supplied with proper/correct accessory backstraps.

Anyone else tried to install the accessory backstraps shipped with their PDP's?

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
Looks to me like you got two backstraps for a 'fullsize' grip. Seems simple enough to me....they should have replaced those in a heart beat.

I figure that after about 400 phone calls from customers complaining about the same thing, they'll whap their forehead with the palm of their hand and say 'Doh'....I get it now.

On the other hand, you might be the only one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You need to explain to the customer service that you have a compact PDP model and that the spares are for a full size PDP.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks to me like you got two backstraps for a 'fullsize' grip. Seems simple enough to me....they should have replaced those in a heart beat.

I figure that after about 400 phone calls from customers complaining about the same thing, they'll whap their forehead with the palm of their hand and say 'Doh'....I get it now.

On the other hand, you might be the only one.
Yeah. I expected that Walther would immediately recognize the problem, and replace the "too-long" backstraps. Instead, they said that the ones I had are shipped with EVERY PDP, and are correst for the PDP...and refused to discuss the matter any further.
Pretty sad...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to explain to the customer service that you have a compact PDP model and that the spares are for a full size PDP.
I told them that I had a Compact PDP, and provided photos of both the gun in the case with all supplied accessories, and the photo of the three backstraps to compare length dimensions. The emailed me a pic of their three backstraps shipped with every PDP. That pic was exactly the same as the one I sent them...one "short" backstrap, and two "too-long" backstraps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a PDP compact and have exchange all three back straps. The overall length of the “small” strap appears to be 3 1/8 inches.

View attachment 101301
The critical dimension is the dimension between either the bottom of the backstrap or the pin hole, and the tab at the top of the backstrap. if your two backstraps measure the same between those two points, they'll fit the frame. The overall length will vary depending on whether small, medium, or large. But the dimension I described will be the same for all three of those backstraps...in order for them to fit the frame.

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
Ya know, I've got a compact and a fullsize......I've never looked at the included backstraps. As soon as these two dogs wake up and get out of my lap, I'll go look. 😂

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya know, I've got a compact and a fullsize......I've never looked at the included backstraps. As soon as these two dogs wake up and get out of my lap, I'll go look. 😂
That will be interesting. If the included backstraps for your Compact are all the same dimension between the bottom and the tab, I'll have to wonder when they started shipping the wrong backstraps with the compact.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always swap the back straps on my compacts so I know that I didn’t get any full size ones.
Nice! I don't understand why they couldn't see that the mounting feature dimensions of the one picture on the left was much shorter than the two on the right. But, they were insistent that the three picture were shipped with all Compacts...one short, and two "too-long".

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
And the answer issssssssssssssssssssssssssssss....In your picture, you've got one compact backstrap and two fullsize backstraps. Yep, they flubbed up.....the question is, was this a 'one item flubb', or did it happen for an entire shift.

I've heard stories about someone on the assembly line putting a empty coke bottle in a new car door. Later, a customer would take the car back in to the dealer complaining about a rattle in the door. Bodyshop guy would remove the door panel and find that coke bottle in the door. So, maybe Ralph's great, great grandson is working at Walther.

In this picture, the two 'compact' straps are on the left. The two 'fullsize' straps are on the right.
Wood Brick Font Gas Building material

In this view the two 'humps' where the pin goes thru is very evident on the 'fullsize' straps. This isn't rocket science. I'm pretty sure my yorkie could tell the difference.
Wood Bumper Tool Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And the answer issssssssssssssssssssssssssssss....In your picture, you've got one compact backstrap and two fullsize backstraps.

In this picture, the two 'compact' straps are on the left. The two 'fullsize' straps are on the right.
View attachment 101304

In this view the two 'humps' where the pin goes thru is very evident on the 'fullsize' straps. This isn't rocket science. I'm pretty sure my yorkie could tell the difference.
View attachment 101305
Yeah, I agree. In fact, when I emailed them back after my last frustrating phone conversation, I used wxactly that expression..."this isn't rocket science".

It's curios that the two "too-long" backstraps that I got with the gun, and that they claim to ship with every PDP Compact, do not have the same split boss's for the retaining pin as your full size backstraps. Mine have the solid boss for the retaining pin.

·
Super Moderator
15,040 Posts
I think its just the 'camera angle'. I went back and checked my other 'fullsize'.....both my fullsize pistols have identical backstraps. AND, when I hold one up, in front of a picture of yours (on the PC), they're identical.

I don't understand why the customer service techs don't get it. It's obvious the one/s you talked to don't have a clue what they're talking about....and that's sad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think its just the 'camera angle'. I went back and checked my other 'fullsize'.....both my fullsize pistols have identical backstraps. AND, when I hold one up, in front of a picture of yours (on the PC), they're identical.

I don't understand why the customer service techs don't get it. It's obvious the one/s you talked to don't have a clue what they're talking about....and that's sad.
Nor, do I. And their attitude was just one of belligerence...refusal to actually look at the backstraps with a critical eye.

So, as a result, I'm left just twisting in the wind. If I ask Walther customer service to send me the option backstraps for the PDP Compact, they'll send me two more of what I already have (since that's what they ship with every PDP Compact). Arghh...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nor, do I. And their attitude was just one of belligerence...refusal to actually look at the backstraps with a critical eye.

So, as a result, I'm left just twisting in the wind. If I ask Walther customer service to send me the option backstraps for the PDP Compact, they'll send me two more of what I already have (since that's what they ship with every PDP Compact). Arghh...
Update...good new, and what may be either good news or bad news:
The good news is that Walther customer service emailed me yesterday apologizing for the rude rep.
What could be either good news or bad news is that they are sending me three backstraps for the PDP Compact. They had previously sent me pics of the backstraps they assert are correct for the Compact PDP. Those backstraps appeared to be identical to the backstraps I already have, two of which DO NOT fit the Compact. They agreed that the backstraps that they deem are for the Compact PDP appeared to be identical to those that I already have.
When I asked if they could please confirm that the dimensions between the upper mounting tab and the retaining pin or bottom of the backstrap (the critical dimension) is the same for all three of the backstraps they are sending, they "declined", and stated that the backstraps they're sending are for the Compact PDP. If the backstraps that they send are the same as those that they previously sent pics of, and that they claimed were the Compact PDP backstraps, two of them won't fit. Stay tuned for future developments (and conclusions)...If interested...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As a result of all three of the phone calls and three email exchanges, it is my impression that the customer service dept is staffed with CLERKS or sales reps...NOT techs or armourors.

It is frustrating and maddening, to say the least...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update...good new, and what may be either good news or bad news:
The good news is that Walther customer service emailed me yesterday apologizing for the rude rep.
What could be either good news or bad news is that they are sending me three backstraps for the PDP Compact. They had previously sent me pics of the backstraps they assert are correct for the Compact PDP. Those backstraps appeared to be identical to the backstraps I already have, two of which DO NOT fit the Compact. They agreed that the backstraps that they deem are for the Compact PDP appeared to be identical to those that I already have.
When I asked if they could please confirm that the dimensions between the upper mounting tab and the retaining pin or bottom of the backstrap (the critical dimension) is the same for all three of the backstraps they are sending, they "declined", and stated that the backstraps they're sending are for the Compact PDP. If the backstraps that they send are the same as those that they previously sent pics of, and that they claimed were the Compact PDP backstraps, two of them won't fit. Stay tuned for future developments (and conclusions)...If interested...
Received the backstraps from customer service today, and they're ALL the correct ones for my Compact. The pics of the backstraps that customer service sent me that they claimed were Compact backstraps (that were identical to the ones I already had that came with the Compact) were a mix of 1 for the Compact, and two for the full-size.
Thankfully, the set that they sent me were not those that they had previously claimed as correct, but were ALL correct for the Compact. 😊😊😊 Sigh...

·
Registered
290 Posts
The ending was happy. Everything else is some of the worst customer experience I've read. Consider how small the Walther line is?

I've gotten better from Taurus while sending in brand new 66 revolvers they flat refused to believe were broken...all returned with new cylinders.

So yeah. You're experience was horrible. Step it up Walther.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts