Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If an 18 round mag is good, a 20 rounder has got to be better. 馃槀

Okay, picked up my PDP FS this afternoon. When I was inspecting it at the FFL, the first thing I did was give it the ole decocker test....works, like butter.

Got er' home and began trying other mags. More to follow. Next step was to see if an aftermarket 'Mec-gar' +2 baseplate would fit and work. Well, the mag wouldn't go in far enough to lock in. So, I fixed it. 馃榿

Next, I took a look at at the optic cover plate .... how it was fitting. I was able to get a .0015 feeler gauge in the front as well as the rear crack...tried a .002 and it was a snug fit. Now this is only the cover plate, so these clearances are not critical.

Next I clamped some scrap wood to the table, stuck torx screw driver in the head of one of those screws, leaned down REAL hard on the screw driver and gave it a little twist 'click'....I though 'your kidding me...that's it'....chit, that was easy. Same thing for the other screw. Very carefully removed the plate, acting as though a spring might be jumping out, but NO spring...and that's good.

When I reassembled that slide, I took a look at the rsa and thought 'chit', this is too easy, the pretty end goes in the front. Also, the 4" didn't have the plastic 'damper'. I guess the damper is only used in the 4.5 and 5 inch.

When I put the pistol back in the case, it's immediately obvious that the foam is cut out to allow for an extended mag as well as a magwell funnel. 馃榿 So, I'd expect those to be coming somewhere down the road.

I also tried the PDP in some of my Safariland holsters (I was 99% sure it wouldn't fit) and sure nuff, it didn't.

Some pictures.

Registered
What mags did you try out? Can鈥檛 believe no other magazines worked. Would love to put this gun into service but can鈥檛 with only two magazines 馃槙

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I tried my current favorite.....Sig P226 9mm 20 rounder. That mag lacked a little bit going all the way in/up...maybe a 1/16" or a little less. These mags have the 'new' Sig +2 baseplate.....I used the same fix on these as I did on the Mec-gar.

Registered
If an 18 round mag is good, a 20 rounder has got to be better. 馃槀

Okay, picked up my PDP FS this afternoon. When I was inspecting it at the FFL, I the first thing I did was give it the ole decocker test....works, like butter.

Got er' home and began trying other mags. All I can say is 'close, but no cigar'. So, the next step was to see if an aftermarket 'Mec-gar' +2 baseplate would fit and work. Well, the mag wouldn't go in far enough to lock in. So, I fixed it. 馃榿

Next, I took a look at at the optic cover plate .... how it was fitting. I was able to get a .0015 feeler gauge in the front as well as the rear crack...tried a .002 and it was a snug fit. Now this is only the cover plate, so these clearances are not critical.

Next I clamped some scrap wood to the table, stuck torx screw driver in the head of one of those screws, leaned down REAL hard on the screw driver and gave it a little twist 'click'....I though 'your kidding me...that's it'....chit, that was easy. Same thing for the other screw. Very carefully removed the plate, acting as though a spring might be jumping out, but NO spring...and that's good.

When I reassembled that slide, I took a look at the rsa and thought 'chit', this is too easy, the pretty end goes in the front. Also, the 4" didn't have the plastic 'damper'. I guess the damper is only used in the 4.5 and 5 inch.

When I put the pistol back in the case, it's immediately obvious that the foam is cut out to allow for an extended mag as well as a magwell funnel. 馃榿 So, I'd expect those to be coming somewhere down the road.

I also tried the PDP in some of my Safariland holsters (I was 99% sure it would fit) and sure nuff, it didn't

Some pictures.

View attachment 98307

View attachment 98308

View attachment 98309

View attachment 98310

View attachment 98312

Good looking dog and the gun is nice too. ;)

Registered
I see you finally caved and got the PDP lol =P

Bet it's an awesome addition to your collection and adds so many more tinkering possibilities. Happy for you, congrats!

馃槉 馃挄

Registered

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I dug thru my stash and found a total of 4 Sig P226 20 rounders. Got busy whackin' away and the result is exactly what I was hoping for.

A - Beretta 30 rounder, I've still got to figure out a way to get that sleeve off, cuz I need to take a little off the top...just an rch or two.
B - Sig P226
C - Sig P226
D - Sig P226
E - Sig P226
F - Walther 18 rounder with Mec-gar +2 baseplate and a different (longer) spring and follower...that's just a test, but I think its gonna work.
G - Stock Walther 18 rounder

The lock in height is critical, below is a Sig P226...you can see how the top of the mag pretty much lines up with the bottom edge of the ejector.

This is a Walther 18 rounder...you can see the same red line I always 'eyeball' when I'm fitting different mags.

Registered
Outstanding.

Registered
Congrats Man...the PDP is an awesome addition to your collection, you would love it, and your dog looks really cool too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts