Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Stoked with my new P22.

In the box, there was the alternative backstrap, 3 different replacement front sights, and something else, a tool of some kind, with a pointy end and a couple of notches.

What's that tool for?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Its used to compress and hold the recoil spring in place when you disassemble to clean. Couple of cleanings and you'll pay whatever to get an aftermarket captive recoil spring.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Apparently Walther can't make changes to the P22 in CA......so, you have the original, long recoil spring which has a tendency to kink when you try to remount the slide. Other new P22's get the captive recoil spring assembly. Any guide tool can be used that will fit through the muzzle end and down through the center of the recoil spring so that it can't kink as the slide is pulled rearward. 1917

·
Registered
57 Posts
No matter how many times you assemble/disassemble the P22CA getting that spring in doesn't ever seem to get any easier. I had no idea there was a captured recoil spring available but it's literally at the top of my shopping list now. <expletive> that spring and <expletive> the tool that's required!

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if you called Ft Smith and asked, they'd sent you one for free. Tell em the old spring has given you fits forever. If you have a slide for the old spring you will need to drill the guide rod hole out slightly to 1/4". Then the new system will fit perfectly. Same spring....just pre compressed and captive. 1917

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm an amateur gun smith at best (assembled a few ars, a few p80 glocks)... can you advise which tools/bits would be best suited to boring out the guide rod hole?

Is this something I can do carefully with a quality hand drill or is a press highly recommended? I sure wouldn't spend any money sending it to a gunsmith.

I'd assume those sort of modifications void my warranty (or is that incorrect?). If the slide later cracked (as is reported occasionally on these models) would that leave me SOL?

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Regular old high speed drill bit for steel...a sharp one. You will be only drilling out a very small amount of zinc. I just put a bit in a DeWalt battery drill, centered the cutting end on the hole and slowly drilled it out....holding the slide in my hand. The metal is thin. Before I did this I called Ft Smith and asked about it. Yeah we've done the same thing I was told. I had already compared an original Q slide to the QD slide with a captive spring. Both slides were exactly the same with exception of the diameter of the guide rod hole. The Walther assembly is well made but the head on it won't fit through the existing smaller hole that came with the original P99 and early Q model slides. I did a thread on it complete with photos. Can't see that it will affect your warranty. 1917

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
I think all new P22s come with the captive spring except in CA models. For some reason CA law doesn't allow Walther to make changes to the pistol.....a couple of Members have explained it here. Makes no sense to me but you can install one yourself even if you live in CA I'm told. The P22 ran into assault firearm issues there originally because of the threaded barrel. The only bad thing about the new captive spring is I had been installing a #83 O ring over the original style and it worked great as a buffer. The front washer on the captive system chews up O rings....bah. But the system works great and is very well made. Uses the same recoil spring. 1917

1 - 11 of 11 Posts