Walther Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Premium Member
Yeah the only reason I took the original one off is because there is a gap between the rear sight and I can just see the firing pin lock spring
What kind of P.38 do you have ? Can we see some pics of it and of the slide cover gap ?

Registered
What kind of P.38 do you have ? Can we see some pics of it and of the slide cover gap ?
Of course! Here she is, mismatched but all parts are made by spreewerk factory. Barrel and slide 1943 and the frame 1944. I know it's not a collectors wet dream but it suits me just fine. No import markings or capture marks. So I think it's a mismatched bring back possibly or just a late war quickly assembled? Who knows, was hoping to get some help on the forum from y'all professionals! Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

Premium Member
The Spreewerk P.38's might not be the prettiest of the the bunch but they're good shooters. It's hard to tell from your pics but the gap between the rear sight and top cover isn't as big as I imagined it might be. I'd still like a close up picture to be sure.

Your holster is for a P.08 (a Luger). Did it come with your pistol ? Is there a tool in the pouch ?

Here's my 1944 Spreewerk and holster.

Attachments

Registered
I will post another picture for you I know it's hard to see but there is some up and down play but it's under tension from that spring. The right side is more gapped than the left side. Also the top cover is kind of split on both sides of the end that goes under the rear sight I will show you another picture! You're right about the holster and yes it came with the gun. I read somewhere that these holsters were sometimes used for the P38 and the luger. I did put some conditioner on it after the picture was taken and it looks so much better! It is lacking the tool though. Beautiful gun and holster by the way! Wow

Registered
The Spreewerk P.38's might not be the prettiest of the the bunch but they're good shooters. It's hard to tell from your pics but the gap between the rear sight and top cover isn't as big as I imagined it might be. I'd still like a close up picture to be sure.

Your holster is for a P.08 (a Luger). Did it come with your pistol ? Is there a tool in the pouch ?

Here's my 1944 Spreewerk and holster.
Here's close ups

Attachments

Registered
Here's close ups
I am wondering if the new style top covers are blued or not, don't really want to pay over $100 for a true WWII top cover as I hear the new ones are a little more forgiving. But maybe phosphate would match an old worn off finish better than I think.

Premium Member
There is some up and down play and I want it to be a tight fit.
The rear sight could be the culprit. If it wasn't machined correctly or if it's on the outside of its dimensional tolerance that might cause your gap and loose cover. If it was my pistol I'd get some postwar parts to see what those do. That would give you some better direction as what needs to be done.

Registered
The rear sight could be the culprit. If it wasn't machined correctly or if it's on the outside of its dimensional tolerance that might cause your gap and loose cover. If it was my pistol I'd get some postwar parts to see what those do. That would give you some better direction as what needs to be done.
Yes I think you're right I will order some parts but if you look close at the top cover you can see cracks on the end that goes under the sight

Registered
I fixed the Gap in the rear sight by the way it might not be a professional job but it works nonetheless. I just cut an extremely skinny piece of paper about a half inch long and then folded it 3 X and put it in the rear sight slot so it's a tighter fit when I pop in the top cover. Couldn't be any tighter of a fit and took some effort to pop it on there.
20210503_162547.jpg
20210503_162534.jpg

Premium Member
That sounds like a good repair to me. The only improvement I might make upon it would be to replace the folded paper with a brass shim. That might hold up better in the long run.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Registered
That sounds like a good repair to me. The only improvement I might make upon it would be to replace the folded paper with a brass shim. That might hold up better in the long run.

Let us know how it works out for you.
That's a very good idea I'll have to find some! This was really a temporary test to be sure it was the top cover for sure and it is! I'll let y'all know next time I go shooting, thanks again

21 - 33 of 33 Posts