Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea where I might find a trigger guard (part GG on attached) for a Walther Modell 8, Third variant, SN 7426XX?

Also would be interested in any historical information. I know this one came from Germany after WWII, and that this model was typically issued to German staff officers, pilots, and tank personnel.

Although I have no intention of selling, would also be interested in what you might think the firearm is worth.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Bill,

Your Model 8, serial number 7426XX was made around 1937. It this serial number range it would be a 3rd variation, 2nd run Model 8 with the flat retention spring-plate between the firing pin housing and the retention screw inside the top of the rear of the slide. The last three digits of the serial number will be underneath the spring-plate. The pictures are not good enough to tell much about the finish on the pistol.

In good to very good condition these pistols sell for $700.00 +.
There are a couple of dealers in Europe who have Model 8 parts for sale on Gunbroker. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/736526471 has a trigger guard pictured. I have purchased many parts from Genuine Militaria in Poland and they are great to do business with.

Walther Model 8 pistols were owned by and carried in service by many German officers during WWII. The compact size, reliability, and quality of these guns made them desireable. These pistols were never officially "issued". They were all privately owned guns. There are no Model 8 pistols with authentic Waffanemampt acceptance stamps. In addition to just being stuffed into pockets there were a variety of belt holsters, shoulder holsters, pouches, and sleeves made for carrying these splendid pistols.

I would love to see some more, clearer pictures of your Model 8.

Earl

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Earl,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I recently inherited the Modell 8 from my father-in-law. Didn't even know he had it till he passed away and don't know it's history, other than Dad served in Germany during the war. The more I learn about it, the more interesting it becomes.

The finish is actually in very good condition and the rifling looks good. It worked when I first got it, but after about a hundred rounds, the slide stop on top of the trigger guard broke off. I've been trying to chase one down for several weeks now and finally connected with Earl Sheehan, Earl's Repair in VA. Earl told me that this is a common issue with this firearm and is caused by a weak recoil spring.

I emailed Genuine Militaria this evening about a replacement trigger guard and will let you know how it goes.

I would be happy to send you more pix, but the gun is already on it's way to Earl in VA, who hopes to use my broken guard to make a mold to forge a new one. I will take some better pix when I get it back, but I expect it to be a couple months.

Oh, it's a .25 acp.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts