Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
If we are talking about a pandemic as a SHTF event with teams of bad actors looting a breaking into homes, I don't think my custom PPQ will be my "Go to gun" as a first choice.

If my only choice is to pickup a handgun, it will have to have the most capacity available. For me, that would be my XD-M Elite with a 23-round capacity. As much as I love my PPQ, it is capacity that trumps everything else, including caliber.

I would call this picture "My Hi-Cap Response team"
I keep my tac 14 handy for when I need to be accurate but not precise

·
Registered
20 Posts
So Massad Ayoob forget you and your polymer pistol must be 5.5lb trigger - but that is another discussion. Anyone else have another opinion? .
Just one opinion,

"you'll shoot yer eye out kid" Ho Ho Ho.

No, I get ya on having a good trigger. I prefer the all metal guns but I think for the cheap feeling plastic guns in terms of performance are probably better.

I went with P99 just because I liked the best of both worlds trigger and also prefer the paddle mag release over the buttons (i've seen many accidentally hit those buttons and dump the mag on the ground. That can't happen with that paddle release.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I keep my tac 14 handy for when I need to be accurate but not precise

Have you actually had to use them on a person?

I have the hardware but really don't expect to ever have to use them. More for fun at the range. But it seems many like you might live in a area where the odds are higher on having to use.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Out and about: Glock 19 gen 5, giving me 15+1 rounds. Places where knowledge of me having a pistol on me would freak them the hell out: Glock 43 with Taran plus 1 base pad, giving me 7+1 rounds, plus another 8 in the Taran plus 2 base pad spare mag.
What not a Walther! Hey this is a Walther Forum. Also Glocks are ugly too.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Many of the victims of the Spanish Flu had Mausers, Enfields and Mosin–Nagants.

Didn't do them much good.

Your biggest threat in a pandemic is neither the burglar nor the mugger, and your best defence in a pandemic is to do what you're told by qualified medical experts - and don't underestimate the possibility of a Second Wave!

Having said all that, a device which propels toilet rolls in their general direction would probably make the burglars/muggers very happy and render the use of more lethal weaponry superfluous.

Balor
Obvious that the firearm is not an anti viral.

Desperate people and opportunistic criminals will not be deterred with hand washing.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Quantity has its own quality.
G19 with G18 mags as reload.
At home AR-15 with some 30 rnd mags.

I know the Glock has the looks only a mother could love but it works hand has capacity.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Obvious that the firearm is not an anti viral.
If things keep on going the way they're going, this pandemic could cause the deaths of almost as many American citizens as firearms.

You've got to bring this under control - the virus, that is, not the firearms.

Balor

·
Registered
816 Posts
If things keep on going the way they're going, this pandemic could cause the deaths of almost as many American citizens as firearms.

Balor
Edit:
This comment is directed towards the media that mock gun owners by making the false assertion that the gun owners think the gun will protect them from the virus.

Two separate issues.
Medical approach.
Self defense approach.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

Balor
Hopefully firearms and all these fabulous material things won't be all that's left of us on this Earth. If we ever needed a wake up call, this just may be it!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I haven't changed my CC habits for the pandemic; PPS/M1. I'm of tall-angular build so longer butts tend to stick out on my frame. I have on occasion during the so-called winter we get down here carried my PPQ/M1 when wearing a heavier coat.

Unfortunately, at work (school), I don't go armed due to the "safe-zone" laws. At least, now, we can have weapons in our vehicles in the parking lot!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Two separate issues.
Medical approach.
Self defense approach.
Wait! Are you saying that this is not the proper forum to discuss the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for COVID-19?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wait! Are you saying that this is not the proper forum to discuss the efficacy of hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for COVID-19?
No
I was making a comment about some media who mock gun owners by saying a gun will not protect you from a virus
No comment directed to the Walther Forum member.

Actually I advocate using hcq and z pack as reported in the media. Even without controlled studies.

·
Registered
269 Posts
No
I was making a comment about some media who mock gun owners by saying a gun will not protect you from a virus
No comment directed to the Walther Forum member.

Actually I advocate using hcq and z pack as reported in the media. Even without controlled studies.
We both had the same target...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Will they? Can you name a single occurence of this happening?
Read the book "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob. You will not be able to sleep at night after reading it. He has many, many documented court cases of innocent people going to jail for defending themselves with a handgun.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Most famous I know of was a man in New England who confronted an assailant in a house invasion with a Beretta .380. The intruder attacked and he shot till he stopped coming, took all 13 rounds.

He was put on trial for murder based on an attorney's claiming that the only way he would have shot 13 rounds was to intentionally kill the intruder and was clearly excessive force in response to the threat.

The aforementioned Ayoob had to come in as an expert witness to explain why it was entirely possible to need to use all the rounds in your own defense.

I also recall NYPD being saddled with extra heavy triggers in their Glocks as a preemptive civil defense.
Actually the NYPD demanded a heavier trigger pull in their Glocks because they had so many accidental discharges with them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Back in the 1980's Pistolero Magazine went to Mexico to shoot live pigs for two reasons.

1. The pig is a live animal

2. The anatomy of a pig is very close to that of a human internally

Here is are some of their live fire results.

They found zero difference in killing power between the 9mm, 38 special, 357 Mag and they .45 acp. They came to the conclusion that the handgun is a weak anemic weapon that cannot be relied upon to stop someone if the shot is poorly placed or if the person shot has his adrenaline going at a high rate.

Jan Libourel who used to write for the gun magazines researched the Drug crazed Moro myth started by Gun Writers after the conclusion of the Philippians invasion by U.S. troops in 1899 to 1912. Contrary to all the hype the Moro's were not drug crazed zombies rather the leaves they chewed were little more powerful than aspirin. In no case did Jan find any documentation that claimed the .45 acp or the .45 Long colt blew people off their feet or spun them around like tops or made them disappear in a a read puff of mist.
He found no proof any pistol caliber used in that war was superior to the .38 Colt that was also used during that war. The troops even complained about the killing power of the 30/40 Krag rifles. The only information Jan found about a weapon that actually worked as intended was the use of the shotgun. And by the was the bulk of the people killed in the Philippine war were Philippine civilians not Moro Warriors. Estimates run as high as 3 million civilians killed by U.S. troops.

The infamous Col. Thompson tests in the Chicago Stock Yards was another charade that the Colonel pulled off. Although he claimed the .45 caliber was more effective than the smaller handgun calibers he tested his own documented tests proved the exact opposite. Even the .30 Luger killed 1,200 lb steers that he shot. The Ordinance board took his propaganda and bought it hook line and sinker without doing any testing of their own and this led to the adoption of a semi-auto .45 caliber handgun i.e. the 1911 pistol. Few people know that before that happened the U.S. wanted to adopt the .30 Luger and placed an initial order for 200 guns after they had previously tested it. The order was lost and the U.S.never got the guns and then lost interest in the purchase and the adoption of the .30 Luger.

In 1945 some 34 years after the U.S. adopted the .45 acp they finally got around to doing some German style testing which was shooting at a G.I. Helmet and found that the .45 acp bounced off the helmet at a scant 35 yards while the 9mm penetrated it at an astonishing 125 yards and might have done so even further away but no one that day succeeded in hitting the helmet beyond 125 yards. The Germans found in their tests that the .32 acp penetrated a helmet while the .380 bounced off which is why they adopted the .32 caliber instead of the .380. This is the exact opposite of all the baloney vomited out by gun writers over the years both in regards to both the 45 acp and the .32 auto.

Jeff Cooper found that the .30 Mauser aka .30 Tokarev was found to be one of the few calibers that would penetrate water to kill sharks before boarding them. It has been found to kill way out of proportion to its size.

In Massillon Ohio a number of years ago a cop was shot once in the buttocks with a .30 Tokarev. The high velocity bullet hit bone and then went upwards through the body tumbling and killing the cop instantly.

Recently I watched Michael Bane on Cable TV shoot wild pigs with the 10 mm caliber. Again nothing spectacular. The pigs took awhile to realize they were hurt before dropping over. Some ran off before dying and some stood there before finally keeling over. None were blown off their feet, none were spun around like tops and none disappeared in a red puff of mist.

There have been documented cases of grizzly bears being killed by .22 rimfire single shot rifles used by poor Eskimos and Indians as well as using the archaic .22 Savage High Power. And failures with the .375 H&H Magnum. Again it was shot placement not caliber that was most important.

William Bell better known as Karmojo Bell killed most of the 1,000 elephants he shot with a 6.5 mm mannlicher rifle and a 7x57 Mauser. While Bill Judd who also was later killed used a .577 Nitro express and shot his elephant 6 times before it killed him.

Philip Percival, the lion hunter, and big game guide used a 6.5mm Mannlicher rifle and lived to be a very old man.

John Pondoro Tayor, Wally Johnson and Harry Manners ( who made his living shooting elephants) all used nothing more than the .375 H&H Magnum and Manners who was a real cheap ass used 4 different off the rack Winchester M70 rifles despite all the ribbing he got from English Hunters who used expensive British Big Bore guns.

In a televised Elephant culling the people used FN FAL's with military ammo (the .308 with the fmj 150 grain bullet) and the elephants dropped like lightening when they shot them.

So what does all this prove? It proves shot placement, not caliber is what kills and it proves no pistol caliber can always be relied on to stop a fight with one shot unless the brain or spine happens to be hit.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts