Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
My PPQ 4” is my favorite pistol and the one I always grab if I want to have fun. I am very comfortable with it and shoot it well. Lots of gear and mags.

However, if things get a lot worse I would likely go with my Glock 22. It is my most flexible gun. I have barrels and mags for 9 mm, 357 sig, 40 S&W and 22LR. Lots of gear for it also. It can be one of 4 calibers in less than 2 minutes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a lot of pandemic worthy pistols, but the one that makes the most sense is my Glock 19X. I have several 17, 19, 33 round mags, and lots of 9mm ammo. The safety/no safety or trigger weight issue doesn’t change at all do a pandemic. As a matter of fact I’d say it probably matters less since people will be on edge and more alert if SHTF

·
Registered
476 Posts
Many of the victims of the Spanish Flu had Mausers, Enfields and Mosin—Nagants.

Didn't do them much good.

Your biggest threat in a pandemic is neither the burglar nor the mugger, and your best defence in a pandemic is to do what you're told by qualified medical experts - and don't underestimate the possibility of a Second Wave!

Having said all that, a device which propels toilet rolls in their general direction would probably make the burglars/muggers very happy and render the use of more lethal weaponry superfluous.

Balor

·
Registered
269 Posts
If we are talking about a pandemic as a SHTF event with teams of bad actors looting a breaking into homes, I don't think my custom PPQ will be my "Go to gun" as a first choice.

If my only choice is to pickup a handgun, it will have to have the most capacity available. For me, that would be my XD-M Elite with a 23-round capacity. As much as I love my PPQ, it is capacity that trumps everything else, including caliber.

I would call this picture "My Hi-Cap Response team"

·
Registered
968 Posts
The most important thing about any gun in an emergency is that it is 100% reliable. Except for a dead trigger and trip back to Walther for fire control replacement, it has never failed to fire after over 7000 rounds through it.
a Taran +5 base pad will give you 20 rounds to play with.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There has to be a comprise with safety v/s ability to connect on the first shot. Remember your far, far more likely to accidentally shoot yourself than be attacked and have to use a pistol to defend yourself with.

A good comprise is a pistol with an easily operated manual safety. If you like striker fired pistols there are a few that come with manual safeties so you have a single action shot on the first shot, not a heavy double action pull. Studies have shown that the average gun fight takes place at only at a few feet, not yards, so the counter argument is that the double action pistol will connect at that close of a range as well.

I carry a Glock 19 as one of my carry guns but I had a manual safety put on it. I have seen way too many accidents with Glocks to not have a manual safety installed on it.

I also sometimes carry a Sig P30sk during the red hot Global Warming summers. It has a manual safety and I can carry it in single action cocked or with the hammer down and the safety still in the on position making it a very, very safe pistol to use, handle or unload with the safety always in the on position. I have the option of cocking it on the draw for a long range precision shot (which is about as likely a scenario as my winning the lottery) which means I will probably never have to do this as again most gun fights take place at a few feet not yards.

Although plasticky pistols are enough to make one barf at the mere sight of their ugliness and cheap looks the plasticky gun is light in weight therefore more comfortable to carry and it never rusts on the grip frame either. If it is still being made parts are also readily available and if it gets stolen out of your car or house or the cops take it from you its no big deal as the gun manufactures vomit them out every day by the hundreds. They are not expensive and finely made works of art and will never be desirable as collectors items either. Their collector value is zero and they are a very poor investment compared to the classic guns which now have become way to expensive to even consider carrying anymore unless you are 4 quarts low on a two pint deal.

To warp an old saying "The plasticky pistol is one you cannot live with or live without". Its become a necessary evil in the gun world to buy one and carry one.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Have you ever had to go face to face with an armed opponent? It's a stressful situation.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I don't want a weapon that can be easily discharged. If I shoot, I want to know that I did it intentionally not by accident!

I hear a lot of people that are very vocal about wanting to kill the bad guy and not die themselves. My viewpoint is the opposite, I want to only fire if I have to fire.

So give me a safety, give me a firm trigger.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Going back to Barbarian’s OP, I, too cut my teeth on the 1911 and admire a fine trigger. I used to have a S&W Mdl. 52 .38 Spl. competition piece that would shoot under a quarter at 25 yds. all day long. The trigger was world class! My Lovely Bride has a 3” Kimber whose trigger easily matches the one on the 52...but I can’t talk her out of it. My own Kimbers — I have a 4” and a 3” — are very nice, but not as nice as hers. All that being said, it was the trigger that made me decide on the PPQ M2 over the VP-9 a few years ago. I save it for more serious anticipated social encounters and have taken to carrying a Springfield Armory Hellcat day-to-day...adequate firepower in an easily concealed package. But I do love that M2!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Since we went into lockdown I have been playing with some pistols. I am an old 1911 shooter so I insist on a good trigger. Before this started I was going the way of safety ( Sig 320 with safety, HK P 2000, P 99 etc). However, it occurs to me if you are fighting for your life you want every advantage you can get and one of those is a good trigger. As a friend of mine said, you can walk out of courthouse but not a graveyard. So out came my PPQ M-1 which now rides faithfully at my side. It is no range toy but an excellent pistol. So Massad Ayoob forget you and your polymer pistol must be 5.5lb trigger - but that is another discussion. Anyone else have another opinion? .
I prefer 1911 myself. I carried a full size for years concealed. If you have never carried a Lightweight Commander, I believe it’s my favorite for concealed carry in cooler weather. I carry a PPS otherwise. I agree with Massad in that a striker pistol needs a heavier long trigger for carry. Smoothness, reset, and break are important. Carry what you want and suits you best. Most modern pistols that are quality made have reasonable to excellent triggers. Walthers have always been my go to guns after my American made favorites like 1911A1 and M9.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fred99 you are correct.
i'd say generally 99 percent of people on these forums have never been in a gun fight. Probably because you will never get an invitation to a gun fight so you can't dress accordingly.

But i can tell by fact in 4 known instances in real life how this played out.
1. a 45 1911 fired at point blank ranged worked real well thru the heart and removed the vertebrae. solved all there problems.

2. 357 hollow point to the head and 2 into the chest. 10 yards. The last 2 was out of anger obviously

3. 50 cal machine gun on the battle field in Bagdad hit in the torso, due to a failed m16 in the dust conditions. Last resort in a fire fight, NATO was not happy, dishonorable discharge.

4. my gunsmith was one of the first guys running thru the gate with his M1 at the German concentration camp Auschwitz-Birkenau, killed the german on the run and grapped his lugar, paper work and arm band. he carries a colt SAA 45 on his persons till the day he died in 1990.

but the best place to look is on the morgue reports. i have a list copied from the morgue reports of performance of each caliber.

The number 1 killer and one shot kill every time is the 357 magnum 145 grain silver tip bullet.

The morgue doesn't discriminate.

For me for CCW is my old trusty PPK/S
For heavy carry is my specialized Springfield EMP 1911 40 CAL
and finally home backup both 41 mag and 357 mag

the 41 mag trumps all.

that's my 2 cent pistol talk and hope you never have to EVER see combat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since we went into lockdown I have been playing with some pistols. I am an old 1911 shooter so I insist on a good trigger. Before this started I was going the way of safety ( Sig 320 with safety, HK P 2000, P 99 etc). However, it occurs to me if you are fighting for your life you want every advantage you can get and one of those is a good trigger. As a friend of mine said, you can walk out of courthouse but not a graveyard. So out came my PPQ M-1 which now rides faithfully at my side. It is no range toy but an excellent pistol. So Massad Ayoob forget you and your polymer pistol must be 5.5lb trigger - but that is another discussion. Anyone else have another opinion? .
. No safety for me please. I carry a PPS m2, IWB, and keep a 5" barrel PPQ m2 for the home. Both triggers are fast and it would still be a feat for something other than my finger to pull and fire. In winter OWB, I sometimes carry a S&W 357 Performance Center 7 shot. The Performance Center trigger is similar: smooth and fast. No safety.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Home has been my Beretta 92 LTT elite. My carry has pretty much changed from my PPS m2 to my FNS 9c. I prefer the 12 rounds of the FNS to the 7 of my PPS. It’s only marginally bigger and equally as easy to be accurate with. 6EAD5595-52B9-4305-8E9D-A40F24942E70_1585790725005.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Odd that the Defense attorney for the reserve deputy had that done. I guess you really oughta pay your defense attorney. (I doubt that was the issue, this reserve deputy was/is wealthy and did this reserve cop thing for bragging rights.)

I live in Guthrie, OK and this was all over the news when it happened. I recall it came out this office had his training penciled in by the training officers because he was a big donor. At least he was not as bad as the pharmacist who unloaded one gun in a robber and then, with his own cameras rolling went back, got another gun and shot the robber some more. The man was down and that was needless.

Still though, I go out prepared and I am more worried about some yahoo wanting that last roll of charmin than a mugging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Home has been my Beretta 92 LTT elite. My carry has pretty much changed from my PPS m2 to my FNS 9c. I prefer the 12 rounds of the FNS to the 7 of my PPS. It’s only marginally bigger and equally as easy to be accurate with. View attachment 89294
I'd need to get my hand on the FNS to compare. What landed me on the two Walthers (PPS m2 and PPQ m2) was the roundish grip. I have a huge basketball palming hand that seems to like those W's. The PPS m2 at 7+1 is indeed shy of rounds, so I keep another mag on the belt which sometimes I forget.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know that a 45 is not a 10mm, however is surprising how the assailant in this video shrugged off the first low center mass hit.
Convinces me that that too much gun is just spin.
https://gunstreamer.com/watch/vet-steps-into-third-party-encounter-active-self-protection_kWHUOMBSJ8xgvx5.html

It certainly is as far as downplaying larger calibers and more kinetic energy. I have taken raw DOJ data and compiled my own pistol caliber per shot analysis. (I'm a data/spatial scientist). I have been into this stuff since I was a kid having shot my first game animals and having carried a pistol working armed security at a very young age.

Conventional pistols lack kinetic energy to produce enough trauma to stop a human with body shots unless they hit critical points (vascular and nerve tissues) within the body. The Magnum Pistol cartridges tend to be the most significant one shot stops .357 mag and .44 mag. At least in the data I looked at. Right up there with shotguns and hunting rifles.

That said the majority of street fatalities were due to small caliber pistols, and the one stop shots were hitting the brain stem, (CNP's).

So shot placement is critical, even with .357 as some experienced police officers might be willing to share from the days when they carried magnums.

Additionally the data shows that non-magnum pistol cartridges are all relatively similar in that they are only slightly more effective as the caliber increases (diameter of bullet).

So a .25 in the chest is significantly less effective at stopping a human threat versus a .45 Auto. But the 9mm is only slightly less effective at stopping a human threat than a .45 Auto. According to DOJ data of that time.

So there are two truths in conventional pistol cartridges: 1. Bigger More Powerful is Better at Stopping Threats. 2. Smaller Less Powerful Calibers Rely on Shot Placement 3. Shot Placement is the Great Equalizer in Conventional Pistol Calibers.

So the argument about pistol calibers is moot. Carry what you can shoot best, 1 shot or 50 in the mag. Shot placement is the great equalizer. So train safe, hard, fast, and under pressure if possible.

I'm former military and I'm no stranger to combat and I'm sure you've heard this: "you use your pistol to fight your way back to your rifle." This is sage advice. My 1911A1 is rigged on my hip with mag holders, and it's a secondary for when my M4A1 goes down or I need a smaller footprint. I have nothing against 9mm but my 45 Auto is better period. I also carry a 9mm, and I don't lose sleep when I do.

I grew up shooting magnums, and I can't shoot full power as well as I would like, unless it has a 6"+ barrel. So I prefer my 9 rounds of .45 Auto.

The .40 and .357 sig police trade-ins are going for cheap and they are both one hell of an effective cartridge, if you can obtain the ammo for them. They both stand up to .45 Auto very well.

Just some of my experience, advice, and observations.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The other morning I was lucky enough to catch a spectacular sunrise.
I get lots of these (see attached) in the morning, as my place faces east on the lake. I figured you might appreciate it as much as I appreciated yours.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 69 Posts