Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we went into lockdown I have been playing with some pistols. I am an old 1911 shooter so I insist on a good trigger. Before this started I was going the way of safety ( Sig 320 with safety, HK P 2000, P 99 etc). However, it occurs to me if you are fighting for your life you want every advantage you can get and one of those is a good trigger. As a friend of mine said, you can walk out of courthouse but not a graveyard. So out came my PPQ M-1 which now rides faithfully at my side. It is no range toy but an excellent pistol. So Massad Ayoob forget you and your polymer pistol must be 5.5lb trigger - but that is another discussion. Anyone else have another opinion? .

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Out and about: Glock 19 gen 5, giving me 15+1 rounds. Places where knowledge of me having a pistol on me would freak them the hell out: Glock 43 with Taran plus 1 base pad, giving me 7+1 rounds, plus another 8 in the Taran plus 2 base pad spare mag.

·
Premium Member
13,882 Posts
PPQ 4" or 5" with Sig P226 20 round mag. I'm hoping 20 plus 1 is good enough....I don't carry a spare mag. :D

I guess if I had to I could use one of my Beretta 30 round mags. :D

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
I'm comfortable with anything I carry. Right now I'm carrying my Q45 but Covid 19 hasn't changed my carry habits.

Well I'm wear my PPE a lot more now.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My Sig P-365 in my pocket is better than my Q5 that's left home, because it's too big to conceal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
PPQ m1 4” and PPS Classic, both are in 9mm and have paddle magazine releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
39 Posts
Still with my trusty Bersa Thunder 380 80% of the time, LCP II when I want extreme concealment, and 5" PPQ M1 when at home or out in the woods. I've fought it for years, but just can't seem to replace my Bersa. I shoot well with it, feels good in my hand, and I got it from my Dad who has since passed. I just love it.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,882 Posts
My Sig P-365 in my pocket is better than my Q5 that's left home, because it's too big to conceal.
Errrrr, a 5" isn't that hard to carry or conceal. I carry a 5" with an RMS and 20 round mag. Easy, Peazy. Got a 4" set up the same way.

Now, to conceal, all I have to do is untuck my oversized shirt....it hangs over the pistol and no one's the wiser. :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
I can see the point of a heavier trigger in a gun you might need to use to defend yourself. Not from a standpoint of carrying or shooting, but from the standpoint of what happens if you end up in a civil or criminal court. Attorneys have and will inquired about "Hair triggers", "dum dum bullets", or "magnums" to paint a perfectly law abiding gun owner as some wild maniac.

Just one reason I carry a DA revolver.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I can see the point of a heavier trigger in a gun you might need to use to defend yourself. Not from a standpoint of carrying or shooting, but from the standpoint of what happens if you end up in a civil or criminal court. Attorneys have and will inquired about "Hair triggers", "dum dum bullets", or "magnums" to paint a perfectly law abiding gun owner as some wild maniac.

Will they? Can you name a single occurence of this happening?

·
Registered
39 Posts
It may take me a bit, but there was a case in Arizona, I believe, where someone used a 10mm handgun in self defense and was convicted of manslaughter because the 10mm had a "magnum"- type stigma and because of that the prosecution painted him as someone hoping to shoot somebody. Ill find it later tonight and post it up. I might be a little off on specifics, but that was the gist of it.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
The irony of the 10mm cartridge is that it's not in fact a magnum, but a very effective defense round.

Jesus christ...are you wanting to stop a threat to your life, or tickle the guy, or worse yet, piss him off so that you're in even more danger?

On the other hand....as the old adage goes, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6..

I'll take my chances with a hair trigger and a magnum round. :rolleyes:

None of which any of the guns in this thread have, thus far.

Get real. Post factual info and quit spreading urban myths. :)

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
There was in fact a self defense case in Arizona that ended poorly for the defendant. However, if you read the full article you will see the defendant was denied due process in his defense. The same could easily happen regardless of the firearm used, ammunition loaded or trigger pull weight.....including a revolver. Thank goodness the AZ appellate judges and our legislature had the good common sense to right the wrong.

https://www.law.umich.edu/special/exoneration/Pages/casedetail.aspx?caseid=4266

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
P99 compact on my hip, PPQ M1 in the nightstand safe, and a few others on standby if needed. No need to change my setup for the last few years.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Will they? Can you name a single occurence of this happening?
Most famous I know of was a man in New England who confronted an assailant in a house invasion with a Beretta .380. The intruder attacked and he shot till he stopped coming, took all 13 rounds.

He was put on trial for murder based on an attorney's claiming that the only way he would have shot 13 rounds was to intentionally kill the intruder and was clearly excessive force in response to the threat.

The aforementioned Ayoob had to come in as an expert witness to explain why it was entirely possible to need to use all the rounds in your own defense.

I also recall NYPD being saddled with extra heavy triggers in their Glocks as a preemptive civil defense.

·
Registered
655 Posts
People in a panic state of mind are dangerous. There is enough out there already living on the edge of sanity even in the best of times so it won’t take much for them to do something dangerous. Everyone should be legally carrying their CCW everywhere. Be hypercritical of your environment when you go out to do your necessary business. There is no rules in a gun fight so expect for the predators to play dirty in disorienting times like this.

·
Premium Member
13,882 Posts
Fully agree with the last two post.

I walk around the park every morning (5 miles)....sometimes leaving before sunrise. ALWAYS have a PPQ on my hip and a German shepherd at my side. :D

The other morning I was lucky enough to catch a spectacular sunrise.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts