Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently picked up a pair of .32acp PP pistols, one a Manurhin the other a Walther. The mfg. dates were fairly easy to figure out from serial numbers 437476 and 444473 (1973-1975). But I'm not sure about their law enforcement pedigree, if any.

The Manurhin has the number JW2623 stamped on it, no number on the mag, no lanyard loop.
The Walther has no LE stamping or other numbers on it but has a numbered magazine and a lanyard loop.

Any ideas?

Bumper Office equipment Office supplies Gas Cylinder

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dieter, appreciate your reply. It's great to more know about my Manurhin PP. Taking both PP pistols to the range today.

BTW: finding your book has been a challenge, finally found one just this morning.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking closer at the Manurhin PP with the JW markings for Justizwache. Previously didn't notice a small stamp on the frame by the trigger guard. Sorry I can't get a better photo. It looks like a five pointed crown over a shield. Could not find something similar in Dieter's book. Any ideas? Thanks.
Tool Wood Knife Blade Font

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
How can a PP have been an Austrian and a German service weapon?
Best wishes, Dieter.
Dieter thank you for responding.

I tried to draw what the symbol looks like under magnification.

It has a five pointed crow on top, the crown is not attached to the shield.

The shield comes to a point.

The center, to my eye, is a circular shape with what appears to be eight points extending outward; resembles a gear wheel.

Edit: revised drawing.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
To me it looks too small to be the B-W state police marking. The B-W crest also is crenelated on top, but does not have an actual separated crown.

I suspect some kind of French proof.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Absalom.

At any rate I'll see if I can find someone who can capture a better image for me to post.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I don't have the time, but you might want to collect some data on pistols just checking internet photos.

I just did a quick google-image search and found another Justizwache PP with that stamp, and two Sicherheitswache PP's without (all Manurhin; the Austrians do not appear to have bought any Ulm-finished Walthers) So your idea that it is JW-specific might have merit. However, it could also be time-dependent; yours and the other JW I found are later, 60s/70s, the SW's were early 50s guns. So that needs more specimen to confirm or not.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very much appreciate the lead. Will continue to search out other examples from the 70s. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The PP has Saint-Étienne proof marks on the slide and barrel and Mulhouse Mill Wheel w/ crown on the frame.

Light Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel

When searching around found this thread with commentary on Mullhouse

·
Registered
622 Posts
Good. So we know what it is. Now we need to figure out why it is on some guns and not others.

Especially since pistols (see the pictured PP and the OP’s gun) apparently have both the proper St. Etienne proofs and this mysterious “Mulhouse proof”.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gentleman, sorry I didn't get the better photo up in the beginning thereby asking you to speculate. Grateful for the help you have been giving me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts