1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions for you...
How do you like your Springfield XD?
What caliber?
How would it compare to your Walther P99?
Noticable size difference?
Accuracy?
Trigger?

Whats the scoop?

Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'll try to answer with complete honesty; I have over forty handguns and no particular brand loyalty.

A couple of years or so ago, I started hearing/reading quite a bit about a relatively new gun called the HS2000 (which later became the Springfield Armory XD9).  As time went on and I was hearing more and more (some positive, some negative), I wanted to find out first hand for myself and not be guilty of taking someone else's word for it.  I happened to be at my usual shooting range about a year ago and they had a very slightly used (50 rounds fired) 3rd generation HS2000 for sale at $300. I bought it, basically for no other purpose than to satisfy my curiosity.  After having the opportunity to shoot it, I was VERY impressed!  The trigger was quite nice, ergonomics were very good for my hands.  In all candor, I was shocked by the accuracy.  I have several high-dollar guns that don't shoot as well.  I tested all sorts of ammo: Winchester "white box", CCI Blazers, my personal reloads (some hot, some not) using 115gr., 124gr., and 147gr. bullets.  Not one failure of any kind EVER. This gun quickly became one of my favorite shooters!

I was so impressed with my HS2000 (pre-XD9), that I found a local guy who was selling his LNIB SA XD40 for $325 (he was HOT to buy an AR-15 and needed the $).  I love this gun, as well.  It's just as accurate and it's trigger is just as good as the HS2000.  I like it so much, I invested $200 and bought a brand new Bar-Sto barrel in .357SIG for it. One word - FANTASTIC!

To me, the XDs with the 4" barrel (they also make a 5" Tactical version and a 3" Sub-Compact) feel a little larger and a little more muzzle heavy than the P99s.  I notice quite a bit more muzzle flip with my P99s compared to the XDs.  For a CARRY gun, I'd pick the P99, but for a fun/accurate SHOOTER, I'd definitely pick the XD.

I don't know if this makes sense to you, but these guns are excellent shooters meant to be used and enjoyed...unlike some of my guns that end up as safe queens that I take out every now and then, fondle, dry fire at democrats on TV, wipe off and put back.

I have only one negative comment - I do think that the Bruniral finish that is used on these guns is only of mediocre quality, at best. I haven't heard of or experienced rust, but it does show holster wear quite easily.

Please don't ask me to compare them to my P99s; that's like asking me which one of my children I love the most.  Both brands do what they're supposed to do - and do it very well.

Bottom line: I love my HS2000 and XD40 and recommend them with absolutely no hesitation.  As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, fair enough, I won’t ask you which child you love more but does one play baseball better than the other?.  Would you say that you are more accurate with the SD than say another brand of gun you may have which would be German made and have adjustable backstraps?

I held the SD again today.  I really like it but was unable to do a direct comp.  Since the gun store didn't have any P99's at the time.  The SD reminds me somewhat of my HK .40C.  Real blocky, similar grip angle with a lower bore axis.  I wasn't real fond of the long reset although I heard Springfield is coming out with a trigger kit, which reduces reset and pull weight.  The actual trigger pull itself was nice and smooth.  The frame looks more robust than the P99.  The fit and finish was nice also.  I may just have to get one to keep my P99's company.

How well do you do with the reset for rapid firing?

I know, lots of Q's...thanks again.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't mind the questions; I love talking about guns.

Let me say this... in my hands with all of the ammo I've tried, I shoot much more accurately with my XDs than my P99s.  Considering the excellent triggers on my DA/SA P99s, I can't really explain why.  All I know is that it's a fact.  Trigger reset on the XDs is not as short as I'd like, but I have gotten used to it.  FWIW, I shoot my HS2000 just as accurately as my $1250 HK P7M8.  I really struggle to come close with my 9mm P99.  I still like my P99s and would eventually like to purchase a QA model.

I know that the XDs don't possess the STATUS that the Walthers, the HKs and others have. However, be advised that it shoots like a champ. (Springfield Armory has a lifetime warranty and I think they'll even pick up the tab on roundtrip shipping.)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, sounds like a sleeper.

I'm not too fond of it's bulkyness, feels really top heavy. I find the P99 much more pleasing to the eye when looking down the slide.

Maybe if they come out with the short reset trigger kit I'll take another look at it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CKW @ Feb. 18 2003,11:22)] I find the P99 much more pleasing to the eye when looking down the slide.
Yes, I agree.  To me, the P99 is  a pretty gun.  I once heard it said that looking down the slide of a Glock was like looking down the deck of an aircraft carrier.  I can apply that same analogy to the XD; not particularly handsome.

Still, I may get a 5" TACTICAL version in .357SIG this weekend.

Nevertheless, in conclusion, the XD makes me (an average shooter) look like a pro.  

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And some more Questions...

Was checking out the XD message board you linked to in a past post.

Seems like people are having problems with extractors breaking. Magazine lip is contacting extractor pin?

Is this a common occurance?

What do you not like about your XD, if there were things you would change, what would they be?

How reliable has your's been? You have a .40 and a 9mm, which one do you prefer?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I hope I answer your questions -

There are/were 3 generations of the HS2000 (9mm pre-XD9).  It seems as though the early models might have had extractor claw problems which was supposedly fixed in the later models; a beefier extractor.  Most of the extraction problems that I've read about seems to indicate a problem only when using Winchester "white box" ammo, but I could be wrong.  I personally have a 3rd generation HS2000 and have tried all sorts of ammunition (incl. Win. "white box") and my gun has been FLAWLESS with everything!

As I stated before, I also have an XD40 and it, too, has been FLAWLESS.  I wouldn't say this if it wasn't true.

I have also recently read about some owners' magazine feedlips contacting/breaking the ejectors.  I don't know what the deal is with that...I have many factory magazines and none of them touch the ejector. If I had to guess, I'd say that the fault lies with owners who choose to use poorly fitting aftermarket magazines.

One thing I'd change?  Hmmmmm...I suppose I'd like a more durable finish than the Bruniral which they currently use.  FYI, SA now offers the XDs in stainless as an option.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks,

I read all the magazine reviews however I think sometimes they might be biased, you know advertising dollars and all.

Nice to hear some good first hand experiences, the best kind of review.

CK

·
Registered
229 Posts
I need to correct myself.

I double checked both of my guns, the HS2000 and the XD40.  All factory magazines did touch both ejectors when inserted with force and hand pressure was maintained on the bottom of the magazine floor plate.  I can possibly see a potential problem if someone inserted the magazine into the grip and whacked it in with great force. I'm undecided if this is a weak link in design or not.

Anyway, I just wanted to set the record straight.

THE END

1 - 10 of 10 Posts