Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here.I have a p99QA in 9mm on order.Can anyone tell me if these are +P+ rated and why these ratings (on most all semi autos) aren't on the spec. sheets like revolvers are. Thanks, rogelk

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
+p and +p+ are brutal on guns and shouldn't be used continually, but rather for your carry ammo, and I think that's why you don't see manufacturers advertising this rating in pistols, revolvers are a different story. I believe the QA will handle the +p+ just fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
From the p. 6 of the Walther P99 manual:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]AMMUNITION WARNING:
DO NOT USE HANDLOADS, RELOADED OR REMANUFACTURED AMMUNITION, OR HOME LOADS. Use only original, high quality, factory manufactured ammunition in good condition. Because of the dangers of poor or nonexistent quality control among some companies and people who make reloaded ammunition, and the well known problem of dangerous overloads and underloads (squib loads) which sometimes happen, only good quality factory ammunition should be used. If you prepare your own handloads be very careful, and do not exceed recommended pressures in line with those generated by standard factory loads (not +P) as manufactured by Remington, Winchester, Federal, Hornady, PMC or other reputable companies.[Emphasis mine.]
While there is some ambiguity in Walther's warning (is +P out just for handloads?), if a +P handload is not recommended, I don't see how it would be recommended just because it was loaded at a factory.

I have a QA. Before that I owned a regular P99. At around 5000 rounds the barrel lug broke. While I did not fire +P exclusively, I did fire at least 2,000 rounds of Federal M882, the U.S. military's 9mm round, which is at least +P. So beware.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As p88 said just use it for carry and do some practice with it because it does run differently,you will get a bit more jump.and +p+ is probably a bit much since I believe it is probably a better load for a sub gun rather than a pistol.I carry +p and don't believe there is any more to gain going higher than that,training and practice will get you the stopping power not the hotter load,so put the 2 together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts