Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if trigger job can be done on P99?
I polished all parts involved in a trigger pull and the trigger now incredibly smooth but it is still heavier than I would like it to be.
Thank you

·
Registered
174 Posts
Most users say that it'll get smoother after 500-1000 rounds...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cutting the spring will affect reliability, you are right.
I did take the gun a part and polished all the parts involved in the trigger pull, so the trigger will probably not get any smoother.  It is perfectly smooth now! I just would like it a little bit lighter.

·
Registered
333 Posts
While we are discussing "trigger jobs" and polishing......I thought I would add this note of caution about some facts that many people don't realize.

Many trigger componets - things like sears - are only "surface hardened"

What this means to us is ............... the case hardened portion of the sear is only a tiny few thousandths of an inch deep !! So if you "polish" these parts any deeper than that......... the parts will start to wear dangerously fast.
I have seen many a trigger group ruined by over polishing of the contact surface points. Gunsmiths are aware of this tiny margin in which they have to work.......... the lay person is sometimes ignorant to these facts.

I am not suggesting that P99 &1/2 has done anything wrong as I am sure he used the appropriate caution......but for those folks that didn't know ..............

JF.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Sniper350.....

You never stop to amaze me with your wealth of info....thanks for this Info... I am sure it is helpful to some

Oliver

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I absolutely agree with sniper350 about the thickness of the working surface.  That's why you have to use non-abrasive polishing compound and be careful not to overdo it.
P99and½

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, if it all comes to number of shots fired through a gun to reduce trigger pull, than what's wrong with leaving the gun (P99) partially cocked for a while to let the striker spring compress a little?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Nothing - but I really don't think that would make much difference - The # of shot thing that makes it smooth out over time is because the parts tend to polish themselves as they rub together on their own while firing. U can try to leave itprecocked for a while and see if it helps - that's never come up here before. But, I don't know if it really would matter

·
Registered
821 Posts
Agreed,

the QA is, by design, supposed to be precocked practically all the time. Doing this will net a negligible difference, IMO.

-stunks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts