Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a P99 DAO that I can't seem to find anything on. It was made in Oct. 2006 according to the spent cartridge. Its a 40 S&W. Test target from 25 meter has 5 rds in a 1.5" group! I have googled and not really found anything available like this or hardly any info on production or rarity. Any info would help. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
The P99DAO is rare now because they didn't sell that many to civilians here in the US when they were new. The DAO model was discontinued for civilian sales over a decade ago, but the majority of P99 pistols sold to agencies in Europe were the DAO pistols.

Most of the DAO models I've seen for sale in the US had the ambidextrous slide releases. Does yours?

The DAO models also came with one of the rarest parts to find for these pistols now, which would be the red striker spring. The DAO models had a lighter striker spring from the factory, and they only came with the DAO models. The previous owner had one installed in my 1st gen P99 before I purchased it used. I would be willing to pay a good bit for that spring alone if you choose to sell it. Let me know.

The P99DAO is a good design, and is arguably more tested and proven than any of the other P99 models. There were some changes to the striker, sear housing, and slide comparing it to the DA/SA model. I believe they were discontinued for civilian sales here sometime around 2006, but as far as I know, they are still in production now for agency contracts that they won up until 2008. The P99Q became Walther's "police" pistol in 2008, replacing the P99DAO as their go-to pistol to win contracts.

If there are any specific questions you have about the pistol, ask away, and I'll help if I can.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It does have the ambidextrous slide release. Gun was in the inventory of a shop I just purchased and has been in a back room since new. Its still unfired with the test target and all the stuff.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
It does have the ambidextrous slide release.
There may be some demand for this here on this forum. I don't see a reason why the internals from a P99 AS couldn't be swapped in there, and that seems to be a popular modification here with people swapping P99 internals into PPQ frames.

Gun was in the inventory of a shop I just purchased and has been in a back room since new. Its still unfired with the test target and all the stuff.
That seems like a good find. The 9mm is more popular which means that the .40 is probably more rare, and finding any P99DAO pistol here is almost impossible locally. It was discontinued years ago, and didn't sell well while it was on the market.

If you could, take the slide plate off and check the color of the striker spring. Not all of the DAO models came with the reduced power spring, but some did. If yours had it, it should look like this spring on the right, though obviously with less wear and more color:

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I never measured it. That spring is currently in a pistol that was stolen from my house, so I don't have the ability to measure it now.

It felt noticeably lighter than the stock spring. But the pistol looked well used when I purchased it, and I put another 14k rounds through it afterwards.

If possible, I'd appreciate it if the OP could measure the trigger pull weight in that pistol after checking to see if the reduced power spring is installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts