Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dilema, Walther P99c 9mm or Springfield XD Sub-C 9mm?

Can you guys tell me what characteristics and advantages the P99c has over the XD?

This will be my first ccw. I like that both pistols have an option for an extended clip, for more rounds and longer grip when shooting for accuracy and when not worried about concealment. But the XD is standard included and the P99 is optional and extra. hmmm

I like the look and feel of the p99 (I have been to the gun shop window shopping) but can anyone give me a good convincing sell on the P99 over the XD.

Thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
The biggest advantage to me is that the 99C doesn't have a grip safety, nor that glock-like trigger safety. Beyond that - i've never fired an XD. I'm told they are good guns, but i'm not a fan of the features i mentioned.

thorn

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can you guys tell me what characteristics and advantages the P99c has over the XD?
The only thing I can tell you is that I hear the P99 was originaly forged by gods....that's it.

Nah, just kidding(maybe) I don't own an XDsc so I won't atempt to validate either purchase, except that the p99 is undoubtably reliable. I was actualy going to purchase the XD40sc before deciding I was going to wait for another release/shipment of another gun for deep CC......I'm sure you can figure it out if you hang out on the Waltherforums long enough, but I won't disclose the name of the gun because that'll just mean I might have to wait that much longer to get one if you decide to jump on the band wagon....ha...haha.........ha

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have never handled a P99c but if it is anything like the fullsize then the advantages are the different trigger styles if the P99c offers AS and QA, the easily removable sights, and different grip straps to fit to your hand.

The XD9SC advantages are the lifetime warranty unlike Walther's 1-year warranty, the grip safety (debatable), standard iron sights instead of plastic, and price for accessories are more readily available and more affordable.

I'm sure there are other aspects that I have left out. I used to own an XD9SC but traded it off towards a gun in .45acp. I would buy another for the right price but I would opt for the 40sc and just buy a 9mm conversion barrel. My XD9SC was reliable and very accurate. I was able to shoot consistently with it and recoil was not something I worried about. I still own an XD40 service model.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ok, that's it OC Gunner, go ahead and pick up your belongings and go to the corner and face it, you're in time-out for speaking too highly of another maker within a Walther forum. Hahaha, just kidding again....laughter is a wonderful thing. Good to kind of hear non-bias opinions and statements for a change.....but get it straight buddy, lets not let it get out of hand. Its a Walther forum so everything Walther is superior.

Ok, sorry, I'll stop and let the grown-ups talk now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Trigger, trigger, trigger! I have not shot the compacts, but I have fired both of the fullsize guns. Both seem to be fantastic choices for concealed carry, but for me the trigger seals the deal. The reason J frame revolvers are so popular is because they are small, utterly reliable, and extremely safe. All of these attributes apply to the Walthers, IMHO. The DA pull is heavy enough to prevent accidental discharges, but smooth enough that I hit bullseyes every time with my fullsize P99 on my FIRST shot from the holster. Subsequent shots are very quick and easy due to the SA trigger and very short reset.

The one plus for the XD is sights. I am a huge fan of the bar dot system for self defense, and the XD has the option of using Heinie Slant Pro straight eights. These night sights offer bar dot for quick acquisition, and traditional shape for target shooting.

I will be purchasing a CCW soon, and since my fullsize P99 has NEVER malfunctioned, and the trigger is awesome, its a no-brainer for me as to what I should get. I honestly can't think of a better choice. (I realize I am totally biased, but you DID ask in a Walther forum!)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I need to ask if this is your first pistol or your first CCW gun? If its your first pistol go with something around the size of Walthers Full size. As much as that seems contradicotry nearly all conceal carry owners end up with a Glock/Springfield XD Compact size pistol. They are easier to train with, magazine capacity is nice, and even though you think it would be harder to conceal it generally isn't for most people. I have seen many cops conceal full size pistols easily.

Onto the XD vs Walther.

-XD is probably equal to or lesser in the price range.
-Magazines are cheaper.
-Holsters are easier to find.
-Its a reliable and sturdy weapon and most of the XD teething problems are gone as well to include the rusty slide issue that were also seen in its predecessor.

Why I would choose a Walther over a XD

- I like the ability to modify my grip, and due to my hand structure thats more important. The grip angle is about the same.
- I can get SW99 magazines(identical to Walther except stamped SW99) for the same price as XD but a bit harder to find.
- The pistol looks great, and honestly its different which made it a great first gun just for the conversations and being a different gun.
- THE TRIGGER THE TRIGGER THE TRIGGER I am not a fan of the XD trigger, while nice its just not my preferred. I love the DA/SA trigger of guns like HK SIG and Walther. Its smoother in the end (500+ rounds) and is great for accuracy.
- I am going to add quality. Although both are very comparable in quality, German weapons have a marked higher standard then Croatia/US made weapons.

Things to remember CCW doesn't mean get the smallest thing. Get a pistol that is comfortable and easy to learn with/shoot especially if this is your first gun. Go small when you have a good handle, because the shorter sight radius means less accuracy.
Magazine reloads are more important then having 20+rounds on hand. Since magazines are the first thing to fuck up on any firearm and cause the most issues it better to have 20-30 rounds in 2-3 magazines, then 20 rounds in one magazine.

Being both are the same size thats not really a comparable issue. Honestly I would go with the larger Walther/Comparable XD over the compact unless its a necessary evil. I rarely use my Compacts unless I am going on a date, but I have done that with a full sized.

Both guns are great, if I had to pick one, and I didn't have brand loyalty/a love for DA/SA triggers I would go with the XD, but I don't hate the XD trigger. As noted before the Walthers end up being like sexy women on a gun range, the XDs are like the plain girl next door. You can fuck both, but one you brag about a bit more.:cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went shooting with 3 friends a couple weeks ago. One friend had just bought the xd compact in 9mm. after everyone shot both guns he wasn't too happy with his choice....(I have a full size p99qa)

·
Registered
28 Posts
P99

I took a long thorough look at both pistols and concluded that the P99 is much better designed and better made. It is very well streamlined with all the lines in the right places:
- It has well contoured front strap.
- Interchangeable grip is a plus.
- Different choices of trigger mode.
- Decocking button very useful for DA first shot and to field strip without the need to dry fire.
- Cocked indicator at the rear of the pistol (part the firing pin) is well protected with the P99.

When I look at a P99, I see a work of art among polymer pistols.
When I look at a XD, I see a decent pistol that is just a Glock with unnecessary features.
When I look at a Glock, I see an ugly and effective worktool.

The only one problem with the P99 is either parts availability or parts can be more expensive.

·
Registered
858 Posts
several people have chimed in on the differences and pros and cons of both,now i will add more.

the extractor on the xd is smaller and hidden inside the slide and therefor harder to eyeball quickly.

the extractor on the walther looks like some kind of monolith created by the gods! it is longer,heavier,easier to quickly inspect,looks like a work of art and quite frankly inspires more confidence in me.

although i wish walther had something like a five year warranty,several companies use a life time warranty as a selling point. although the xd has had several problems modified, these people have had there guns back and forth to the company with unenthusiastic strangers handling there guns. taurus also comes to mind. how many people have had to send a gun back only to recieve it back with a scratch or marks on it.

if within the first year you can run 1200 rounds in a gun(easily done,4 trips,300 rounds) without any design problems or any sign of serious wear,i would expect it to stay that way for tens of thousands of rounds within reason. a life time warranty on a washing machine and many other products is good but i am leery of that type of warranty on a gun. design problems should be solved in the design and first production phase,not over the long run with customers. the p99 specifically has been in production a long time and non-walther mags notwithstanding,only walther knows what real problems they may have had originally.

also,pride of ownership. xd is made to directly compete with block,i mean glock,with second strike capability and better grip thown in. walther just simply looks unique and cool with an even better grip and trigger..:cool: ,but thats your call.

·
Registered
858 Posts
oh,and one more thing,no offense to any one that reads this but xd is a croation design and product not american. walther is german and i'm not being bias.inspect every centimeter of both and see for yourself.the difference is in the details and experience of each maker.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a p99c 9mm, and shot the XDsc .40. The XD had a lot less muzzle flip than the walther. I am not a fan of grip safety's but it shot extremely well. My 2 cents is rent both, put three clips through each firing about 2 shots a second (self defense style) and see which grouping is better. Then buy that gun. The stuff everyone esle has said about the triggers, I say ditto to. Again my 2 cents.

Wage out

·
Registered
910 Posts
I am a big fan of the XD, I've owned three, now just one, the XD45 compact and it remains one of my favorite guns. The XD is a well-made, competitively priced gun that does not disappoint. But Good G--d, have you ever tried to take off the factory sights?! They are the tightest sons of [email protected]#$%^& I have ever experienced and everyone complains about them - some gunsmiths won't even touch them. Conversely, the P99 sight removal is literally a snap. The XD's grip safety is something you get used to and I never found it to be a problem. Ergonomics, admittedly subjective, go to the P99 but the XD feels good in my hand as well, and I do prefer the AS trigger over the XD's - however, outfits like Canyon Creek and Springer Precision do outstanding XD trigger jobs and for not a whole lot of cash.

Just think if the P99 was as aggressively marketed as the XD.

·
Registered
26 Posts
oh,and one more thing,no offense to any one that reads this but xd is a croation design and product not american. walther is german and i'm not being bias.inspect every centimeter of both and see for yourself.the difference is in the details and experience of each maker.
Are you speaking from personal experience? The XD does not have second strike capability. Even though the gun is made in Croatia, the the gun is very well made with a sturdy design. Looking at both guns, I can't see any signs of either gun being cheaply made. I actually see more flaws in the polymer frame of my P99 than with the XD. Not design flaws but just cosmetic from the molding process.

Regarding warranty, some say if it has a good warranty it must break or have issue often while others say it is because companies stand behind their product. I never had rust issues with my XD but if it did, Springfield would fix the problem years from now. While the Titanium coated P99 I have is used, it looks like it has had a rust issue and Walther won't or can't fix the problem even when I said I would pay for the work. How did they respond to customers who had that issue after owning the pistol for 13+ months? I know some folks who sent their second had XDs in and Springfield fixed the problem.

Also, if you really have a problem with "strangers" working on your items how do you ever get anything fixed? like a car for example.

·
Registered
335 Posts
JMOFO:

You need to hold and shoot BOTH pistols. Then buy whichever strikes your fancy.

I have no doubt the XD is a fine weapon, don't know personally, never had the chance to shoot one.

I know for certain that the Walther P99c/AS and the P99/AS are fine weapons because I own both and they have been fantastic pistols.

If the XD is any more accurate than the P99's I would be extremely surprised. Both of my P99's, right out of the box, have been the most accurate pistols I've ever had the pleasure to own or even shoot. (And that's a pretty good batch, I'm 65).

Keep in mind that if you were asking this question on the XD forum you might get an entirely difference response. :D

We ARE Walther folks.. But there's a reason for that. We have found Walthers to be fantastic pistols, and in my personal experience with a surplus PP, surplus P1, surplus P5, and now new P99c/AS and P99/AS I have never been disappointed in the function/firing/accuracy of any of them.

YMMV

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

·
Registered
910 Posts
You're cutting off your nose to spite your face with that philosophy no disrespect intended. The M&P is an all-American gun as just one example and it continues to have repetitive problems with its mag release design (I owned two, both are now gone). In terms of quality of design, fit and finish, and reliability when comparing the two, the P99 is a better out-of-the-box bet currently. And while I am reluctant to say it (I am a proud American after all), there is much to be said about German workmanship whether it be automobiles or firearms.

As for the XD, I am not aware that the Croatians are prepared to invade the US (or dislike us anymore than anyone else). The XD is a well-designed solid performer with no known repetitive issues. If it wasn't despite Springfield's aggressive marketing campaign, it would not continue to sell like gangbusters. If you are going to let the origins of a firearm drive your purchase decision, you may well miss out on an exceptional and quality product (and lots of shooting enjoyment). Cheers and happy holidays. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
there is much to be said about German workmanship whether it be automobiles or firearms.
This might digress a little, but country of origin is a poor guide to gauge quality of firearm. Great Britain produced both the classic Lee-Enfield SMLE and useless (pre-HK) SA80.

Country of origin for cars is similarly irrelevant. I'd carry a CZ75, but I wouldn't drive a Skoda.

Likewise german workmanship should be taken on a case buy case basis. C-class Mercedes built in the last 5 years are poorly built (and any VW for that matter), but the P99 is one of the finest handguns made.

·
Registered
335 Posts
submoa; Country of origin for cars is similarly irrelevant. I'd carry a CZ75 said:
Crap..

Our 1967 Skoda has 345,786 miles on it and we've never even changed the oil or spark plugs..:D

Maybe we're doing something wrong.. I might just sell that worthless sucker!:eek:

JP

·
Registered
910 Posts
Holy crapola! My favorite flannel shirt was made in Sri Lanka!! :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts