Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For concealed carry...

I was originally thinking about buying a p99c for when I get my license, but all this talk of the m&p lately has me wondering...

Discuss please.

I put this in here instead of the main forum because I was hoping for more traffic.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I have shot the M&P in 9mm and 45 - NOt really my thing for either. Actually, in 45, I preferred an XD, and I don't even like XDs, - but the 45 service XD is sweet...

Anyway - another gun, I know...

Sorry - for its size, I think the p99c is the best gun out there... The only better gun is the FULLSIZE P99 A/S :cool:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well I probably don't qaulify to post since I don't own a p99, but I can tell you that I shot a M&P 9mm today with both reloads and factory ammo. In all honesty, nothing special to report. Everything the m&p has the p99 has IMHO. The slide was easy to rack, but the mag release was only on 1 side. No decock from what I found. Long trigger pull before it started to engage. Once tension was built up, very little trigger movement to break. Recoil was less with m&p than with the 380 ppk/s we were shooting. All in all a good gun and probably cheaper than a p99, but from the quality issues I hear about m&p (I know several people who have experienced problems) and the quality I've heard about the p99 I would choose the Walther.

I know this was not a direct comparison, but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've read enough problem reports with the m&p so far that I think it may have some minor issues where the p99c has none. Really it probably comes down to trigger and magazine release. Do you want the magazine release in the same place as on your bigger gun and the same trigger or do you want a US style mag release and a glock like trigger?

·
Registered
910 Posts
After owning two M&Ps (both now gone), my opinion is that the P99 is a better made, all-kinks-taken-out gun. The M&P has had problems with its mag catch design in particular (more than just isolated reports I might add) causing mags to drop and too light tension on the mag catch in some guns. I still don't think S&W is quite there yet with the M&P vice the P99 the latter of which has been around a long time and your chances of getting a lemon are few and far between. I much prefer my P99s. I now own three. Both my M&Ps required trips back to the factory and the tension on the mag release button was way too light. So light that I was not confident carrying.

I think there is something to be said for not buying a gun in its first year of introduction. Then again, the M&P has a steady following and is a nice handling firearm. A little more teaking and it will be the star it deserves to be.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've read enough problem reports with the m&p so far that I think it may have some minor issues where the p99c has none. Really it probably comes down to trigger and magazine release. Do you want the magazine release in the same place as on your bigger gun and the same trigger or do you want a US style mag release and a glock like trigger?
You know, I didn't even think about having everything in the same place. That would certainly make things easier switching between guns.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After owning two M&Ps (both now gone), my opinion is that the P99 is a better made, all-kinks-taken-out gun. The M&P has had problems with its mag catch design in particular (more than just isolated reports I might add) causing mags to drop and too light tension on the mag catch in some guns. I still don't think S&W is quite there yet with the M&P vice the P99 the latter of which has been around a long time and your chances of getting a lemon are few and far between. I much prefer my P99s. I now own three. Both my M&Ps required trips back to the factory and the tension on the mag release button was way too light. So light that I was not confident carrying.

I think there is something to be said for not buying a gun in its first year of introduction. Then again, the M&P has a steady following and is a nice handling firearm. A little more teaking and it will be the star it deserves to be.
I was under the impression that most of the problems with the m&p's had been worked out. I guess not.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I was under the impression that most of the problems with the m&p's had been worked out. I guess not.
From what I hear folks are still having problems but then again, I haven't been following that closely since I gave up my M&Ps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I rented a m&P compact before I bought my p99C. I put 150 rounds through it, and while it was OK, the trigger wasn't great, and it didn't fit my hand as well. Personally, I LOVE the short reset in single action on the AS model. The M&P felt like a lightened Sigma trigger.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I rented a m&P compact before I bought my p99C. I put 150 rounds through it, and while it was OK, the trigger wasn't great, and it didn't fit my hand as well. Personally, I LOVE the short reset in single action on the AS model. The M&P felt like a lightened Sigma trigger.
My guess is that if the Walther was more aggressively marketed in the US, many current M&P owners would be shooting P99s instead. I was introduced to the P99 almost by accident and the rest is history. Let's see....I had pins walk out out of one M&P, a slide that wouldn't lock back after the last round on another, a mag release button that would stick, tension on the mag release so weak the slightest engagement would drop the mag....Then again, many report no problems with their M&Ps but I had simply had enough. Short story made long, I think the P99 is a more refined and proven weapon and it's accuracy is second to none as far as compact and subcompact polymer guns are concerned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts