Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here I go with another question
I know Lunde has both ... does anybody else....
How do they compare.... is the H&K worth the extra $

Just curious what you guys think... as I am contemplating the purchase of another P99c/AS 9mm  or the H&K P2000SK... specially since the H&K P2000sk offers a .40cal in DA/SA

Thanks again for keeping up with me !!!!

·
Registered
821 Posts
no way!

Especially when you consider H&K's sub-par customer service record.

-stunks

P.S. This is a very BIASED answer (I don't have an H&K, but after fiddling with them, they don't impress me)

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ummm yea I heard about their customer service... but they have it in a .40cal DA/SA
soooo I am curious how the H&K shooots !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, I'll preface this with I don't own the P99c or P2000sk however I do own the P99 QA .40 and the P2000 v2 .40 with LEM trigger system.  

Overall Quality:
-P99 QA: Well made, stable, 10 round mags suck! I'm on the 5 replacement from Walther.  
-P2000: Seems slightly more well made than the P99, included two 12 rounders, new factory 10 rounders are only $7

Trigger:
-P99: Love the QA trigger, it could have a better reset for quicker follow up shots but its still quite easy to get good follow ups.  Smooth and consistent all the way through
-P2000: LEM trigger is a little light for me but the reset is really short making insanely accurate and quick follow up shots.  It takes getting used to but its nice.  

Safety:
-Essentially all the same internal stuff between both weapons

Ergonomics:
-Both have interchangable backstraps.  
-P99: Very comfortable and solid feeling, no complaints
-P2000: While no complaints about the P99, the P2000 is fully ambidexterous.  Slide release on both sides and mag release on both sides.  The mag release on the P99 is a little better than the P2000

Accuracy:
-P99: Shot 3000+ rounds through it, I'm accurate, its very good
-P2000: I've shot 300 rounds through it and I'm already more accurate with the P2000 than the P99.  And, on top of that, the P2000 has more muzzle flip (because the barrel is .5 inches shorter most likely).  

Accessories:
-P99: Make sure you get the new rail system.  Holsters are realitively easy to find but considering how long its been out, you would think they should be more easy to find than they are.  
-P2000: Standard rail on all varients/years.  Holsters are fairly easy to find and the manufacturers that I've spoken to that don't already have something out, are currently working on something.  Give it another year and you'll be able to get all of your favorites.  I'm waiting on one from Blackhawk or C-Tac allowing me to carry my M3X preattached.  

Price: P99 is ~$600 w/ night sights, P2000 is ~$800 w/ night sights.  Don't pay more for an SK than you would for a standard P2000, you can find them for the same price if you look.  Gunbroker prices are gradually starting to come down on them.  But for the record, I got my P2000 w/out night sights but with a Streamlight M3X for $800 brand new which makes the gun itself about $600.  

Customer Service:
-Walther/SW: Nice to deal with but I shouldn't have to constantly send my magazines into them for replacements, they are asking for a lawsuit but not recalling all 10 round .40 magazines b/c eventually someone is going to need to use it and its going to fail.  They've always been knowledgable, friendly and easy to deal with.  Prepaid shipping labels always.  
-HK: Personally I think a lot of the HK customer service opinions are not first hand opinions.  I haven't had to send anything in to them yet but I've called two or three times with questions and was immediately transferred to an engineer who was able to give me very specific details and answer my question both times.  I can't comment on sending stuff in b/c I haven't had to experience that and don't intend to ever need it.  

Overall:  I think your decision should be more budget related. If you have the money, go for the HK, you won't be disappointed.  If you don't want to spend the extra cash, go with the Walther, you won't be disappointed.  Definitely handle both before you buy though, I can't shoot subcompact models which is why I opt for the full size ones.  I never have problems concealing and I'm only 5'10''/180.  

Either way I think you'll be happy and either way, I'm sure you'll buy the other one a couple months down the road!  Ha!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.......that was a nice write up.....
I am hoping if I go for the P2000SK that CDNN still has one left for me in a week or 2 when I get my taxreturn....
I am not willing to pay $800 for the P2000SK at this point if I can get the P99c for $500 or less ... CDNN's price is $430 on the P99c...and P2000SK $670 which seams fair

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[b said:
Quote[/b] (carrmat @ Feb. 15 2006,07:27)] 

Overall Quality:
-P99 QA: Well made, stable, 10 round mags suck! I'm on the 5 replacement from Walther.  
Ummm have you asked them to send you the 12 rounder.... S&W and Walther both are aware that there has been a bad badge of 10 round mags ,,,,
call S&W and give it a try and see what they have to say other than that CDNN has 12 rounders for sale

ALso I did hande the P2000 today.. nice feel.... now I just have to find somebody that will let me shoot theirs since the ranges around here have non for rent

·
Registered
3 Posts
H&K has always been too proud of their stuff-overpriced. They both work but the P99 gets my vote- ease of use/ ergonmics. H&K has very poor customer service, I took their law enforcement armorers course and brought my P7 M8 with me so I could get 'factory installed' night sights. The regional l.e. rep told me that I had saved myself shipping but would have to pay for the shipping back to my department. I was there for 3 or 4 days and this jack*&% told me they couldn't get to this 2 minute job. The H&K armorer installed them for me when I took my pistol to the back during a beak in the class. Show up to any of the trade shows, go to the H&K table and you will see exactly what I mean by 'customer no-service.' My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, they actually sent me 2 12 rounders at my request but I'm greedy and they sent me back my "fixed" 10 rounders too which are totally useless b/c I haven't gotten through a single range session where I haven't broken at least one of them. I've actually sent a letter to the comsumer products safety commission letting them know that there is a series defect that could potentially put someone's life in danger.

And, if you have heard that it was just one batch that was bad and actually believe it, you are kidding yourself. I have replaced 5 plates over the course of 4 months...that is more than just one batch and quite frankly, they haven't done anything to resolve the issue in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I was going by what I read online... you know how that goes
I replaced my 10 round original ones for my 9mm with 15 rounders...... and am not planing on using the 10 rounders at all.....
and on my .40S&W.... well I am not sure as of yet what I will do....... I have not put one bullet through it and might not change that for a while.... I am still not sure if I am going to hang on to the .40S&W...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (carrmat @ Feb. 22 2006,09:50)]... I've actually sent a letter to the comsumer products safety commission letting them know that there is a series defect that could potentially put someone's life in danger.  

I'd be interested in the response you get (if any) from CPSC. Please keep us updated if you would.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts