Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll probably get into loads of trouble for this with the husband, but I've been looking at getting a compact to shoot BUG gun side matches. I like my new walther so much that I was thinking the new P99C might be a good choice, but I'm still waiting on the local store to get one in so I can feel it in hand before making a decision.

The other option of course would be the G26 "baby glock"- which our MD is planning on getting to throw into stages in scenarios where your firearm is supposed to be out of ammo and you will be called on to shoot the G26 which will be stashed in a briefcase or some such thing. So I can see where having one of these to practice with might be useful.

Still, I really like shooting my walther, so I am thinking the P99C might be a better choice for me in general. I know that it is a bit bigger than the G26, but I was wondering if anyone here has both and could comment on the pros/cons of each comparatively.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The P99c is about the same size as the Glock 26. The obvious con of getting a Glock 26 is that you'd need to deal with two different trigger types during a single match. The pro is that the P99c is like a standard P99, but smaller. This means that the trigger is the same between the two sizes.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
There's a good writeup on it in Combat Handguns, this month. It looks like it will be a great gun. I'm like you and would like to see one first before I bought one. However, I, like Dr. Lunde, would lean towards the P99c before the Glock, not only because of the trigger, but also the controls will be the same and I think you can use the standard P99 magazines in the compact. No the magazines won't be compact, but you'll be able to use the 16 rounders for practice sessions or general plinking. Or in a combat situation, if your P99 goes down and you have to use your BUG P99c, the magazines from the P99 can be used, if you have too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I"ve spent a good bit of time with the glock and it is clunky compared to the c model. My wife has spent little time with either, but is having me get her a c model. She loves the c and says the glock feels terrible in her hands. nuff said.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I think the P99C is going on my christmas list along with a SW 686 and holsters for each. It's a big list I know, but hopefully I'll at least get the p99c.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm right there with ya. I was also was looking at getting a Glock 26 but will go for the Walther P99c since they are now out. Big plus is that they will take the full size P99 mags, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It depends on what you want to do with it.

If you are planning on carring concealed, then I would pick the glock. If just want something small then get the 99c. The reason is the glock, although not as good looking as the 99c, is well rounded with no sharp edges. If the p99C is like the p99, it will poke you pretty bad. There are alot of sharp edges on the p99 and for that reason I still carry my glock 19 concealed. I prefer the looks of my P99 but it is a pain (literally) to carry concealed.

Glock

(Sorry for the name, it is the one I use on all my forums :). No offense intended)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (glock19 @ Dec. 14 2004,8:16)]There are alot of sharp edges on the p99
huh? where are the sharp edges on a P99? I've carried mine for years and never been poked or cut by sharp edges. Now my 1911 was a different story.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Same here, I've carried the QA for four years and never felt any sharp edges bothering me. But I agree the P99c is not as compact as I would like it to be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The adjustable rear site is kinda pointy from the side. As well as the on the rear of the slide, the edges that go down the side.

Now just to clarify, I just stick it in my waist bandwith no holster and have a little "overhang", so it goes right against my skin. If you bend over to get in/out of a chair you can feel it poking you.

It is just an observation and not intended as a bash.

Glock

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
g19,

Didn't take your comments as a bash. I've just never noticed any sharp edges on my P99's. I can kind of see your point on the rear site, but everywhere else on my P99's are nice and smooth.

By the way, get yourself a holster. The holster will not only protect your skin, but will protect your gun from your skin and ensures it is safe. i.e. the gun won't fall out onto the ground or accidentally discharge. (yes even accidental discharges happen with the so called Glock safety trigger, just ask a few cops who've holstered their gun and had a shirt tail get stuck in the trigger)

·
Registered
6 Posts
No problem.

I actually do have a couple holsters, but for a quick run to the store I just tuck it into my pants. I am in Florida so most of the year it is shorts and t-shirts and makes concealment with a holster more difficult cause of the extra bulk.

One of the most confortable holsters I have is thunderwear. I thought it was kinda gimmiky until I saw it at a gunshow and the guy selling them stood up and pulled a full size 1911 out of his pants. It is pretty cool , sits low in the groin area and holds an extra magazine. When I am going to carry all day, I normally wear that. But the P99 is a bigger than the G19 so I need to get used to it more.

Glock

1 - 12 of 12 Posts