Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Jan 1st I took both my EDC’s to the range & I hated the stock trigger on my P99c compared to my HK VP9 SK with a Lobos trigger installed so I send the P99c to Bill Springfield last week & yesterday got it back & it feels a whole lot better & shorter but will hit the range later today & shoot it to really see the difference. But for $69 I think it’s a hell of a deal.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
A few years back when I normally visited the H&K forum, there were multiple horror stories about botched trigger work on H&K pistols from Bill Springfield. To the point where multiple members reported having to send the pistols back to H&K to have the factory parts installed back into the pistols in order for them to be safe and function correctly.

I'd suggest you open that pistol up and find out what exactly he did to it. I'm curious how you make a trigger pull "shorter" on a DA/SA pistol. Are you talking about reset, overtravel, pretravel, or overall trigger pull length? Find out what weight spring he used on the striker. Find out if he messed with the firing pin block spring. Find out if he messed with any other springs. Find out what parts were polished or stoned.

The P99 has been on the market for around 22 years now. In those 22 years, Bill Springfield is the only known gunsmith I've seen advertise trigger work on these pistols, and in those 22 years, I believe this is the first time I've heard of someone actually using him on a 99-series pistol. These pistols generally have excellent triggers, that get much better after some use.

I really would suggest you find out what type of work was done on that pistol.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The only person touching my P99c and other Walther triggers is me at the range. To each his own I suppose. Mine are good to go. All I have to do is shoot them and clean them.

Good luck.

Reactions: Thinkology

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
A few years back when I normally visited the H&K forum, there were multiple horror stories about botched trigger work on H&K pistols from Bill Springfield. To the point where multiple members reported having to send the pistols back to H&K to have the factory parts installed back into the pistols in order for them to be safe and function correctly.

I'd suggest you open that pistol up and find out what exactly he did to it. I'm curious how you make a trigger pull "shorter" on a DA/SA pistol. Are you talking about reset, overtravel, pretravel, or overall trigger pull length? Find out what weight spring he used on the striker. Find out if he messed with the firing pin block spring. Find out if he messed with any other springs. Find out what parts were polished or stoned.

The P99 has been on the market for around 22 years now. In those 22 years, Bill Springfield is the only known gunsmith I've seen advertise trigger work on these pistols, and in those 22 years, I believe this is the first time I've heard of someone actually using him on a 99-series pistol. These pistols generally have excellent triggers, that get much better after some use.

I really would suggest you find out what type of work was done on that pistol.
Yeah I read a lot of those too. Not too many of them lately as they get contentious really quick and then locked or deleted. I wonder if he is a certified Walther armorer. My guess is any firearm he works on probably voids the factory warranty and I would be concerned if it is still drop safe. I had also read comments about clipped springs.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Yes, there are quite a few bad stories. A very bad one on M4carbine.net. i would not send him anything.

I hope your guns works fine and does not double. Make sure your firing pin plunger still works as it should as well

·
Premium Member
8,651 Posts
Kinskeys the intent here isn't really to jump all over you and your choice but to caution you. Many folks here care fiercely about their Walthers and have sent thousands of rounds down range. They are what I like to call "experts".

When they mention bad results they do not speak lightly or do so because you are new to the Forums. The P99 platform has had years of rugged service and is finely tuned right out of the box.

There really is very little that can be done to improve the trigger without making it extremely unsafe...believe me. This isn't idle chatter or speculation. This comes from armorers and smiths who have worked on the platform for years.

We all hope your P99c runs safely and well and you do see some improvement in its function. Please report back to us with some impressions of how it behaves at the range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts