Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the P99 and the P99c. I like a more compact gun, but I probably would use whichever I choose mostly for fun and target practice. Is the P99 better for this use and would the more compact P99c be a little too short if choosing between the 2?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I own and shoot both a lot. The only difference is the shorter slide since I use the full size mags with mag sleeves for the compact. I even like how the compact shoots better than the full-size, at least for me it does.

Reactions: Jimbo80

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I have both and both are great. Just for range and fun I’d say P99. My compact is my workhorse for all around everything you may need a handgun for.

Reactions: Holzauge

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have both and both are great. Just for range and fun I’d say P99. My compact is my workhorse for all around everything you may need a handgun for.

I would agree. Also, you don't give any reasons for liking a more compact gun. I jumped on both the P99C and P99 due to all the "enablers" (;)) and their wonderful links on this forum. For value, and if money is your concern, if you can still get a P99C for $340, go for it.

Performance wise, the pistols are almost identical, and the 99C is not "too short" for a range gun, whatever that means! I really don't think you'd notice a difference in accuracy at any range distance. The smaller dimensions of the 99C makes it a little easier to carry, but not that much. For me, the smaller magazine with the finger extension doesn't give me enough to grab on to, so I use the full size 15 rounder with the sleeve. I might as well carry the full size.

To me, both of them are top of the line "duty" pistols, and I really wouldn't want to define them as strictly a compact or a range gun. How they perform is really up to you, in the end.:)

Don

·
Registered
343 Posts
Keep in mind the full size P99 isn't exactly a big gun. It's closer to the size of a G19 than a G17, being only a fraction of an inch taller than the 19 and two ounces heavier. I own both, and after switching to AIWB carry and buying some more just-slightly-larger shirts I almost never carry the P99C. It's not going anywhere, but I definitely don't need another compact. Another full size, on the other hand, is my next gun purchase.

For a range gun, I definitely recommend the full size. No need to mess around with grip sleeves and different size mags, and you have a proper full grip with slightly longer sight radius.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
My P99C is just a range toy for me. The sight radius is only a little shorter than my PPQ (maybe a half inch) and I can get a good grip using the standard compact magazines. If I decide I do want to shoot with a full size grip I have that option with the grip sleeve. I don't feel that I'm at a disadvantage using my C rather than the full size.

·
Registered
465 Posts
If it's just a range toy. Why not get a Q5 Match or a Gunbuyer custom PPQ M1 5"?? I Love my P99c don't get me wrong and I shoot her almost as good as my GB PPQ M1 Bronze Beauty. Either way it's a Walther and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
YMMV, of course, but I shot a P99c in USPSA for several years before finally persuading myself to buy the full size. The first classifier I shot with the full size was the best one I'd ever shot, and I jumped a classification shortly thereafter. I attribute that to the full size being easier to draw and reload consistently and quickly. The half inch increase in sight radius is probably a smaller factor, but it certainly helps as well.

If "range gun" doesn't mean draws and reloads at speed for you, then those factors might not make a difference for you, but they were significant for me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am struggling with the justification for having a full size after purchasing a compact. There is only a 1/2 inch difference between them in length and same height with the extended magazine but the full size seems much bigger when holding them one after the other. When I travel long distances, I am more likely to carry the compact with an extended mag than the full size. It seems more "nimble."
To answer your OP, NO its not too short for a range gun.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I am struggling with the justification for having a full size after purchasing a compact.
No struggle for me, my PPQ went on the block as soon as I got home from the range with my P99C. The C is an extremely versatile pistol and at $340 BNIB it's one of the best values ever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It seems like a lot of P99c owners really like it. For those lucky enough to have both, if they cost the same and you could have only one, would it be the P99c or the P99?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
P99c hands down!

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
It seems like a lot of P99c owners really like it. For those lucky enough to have both, if they cost the same and you could have only one, would it be the P99c or the P99?

P99c AS. Fits my needs.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
For the stated purpose in your original post, "mostly fun and target practice," if I could only have one, it would be the full size, as it will be easier to shoot well, and therefore more fun. You will have an easier time improving your skills with a full size gun than you would with the 'c.'

My original purpose when I bought my P99c many years before the full size was carry. At the time, as many who are new to carry are, I was very concerned with printing, so the 'c' fit my needs better than the full size. If I knew then what I know now, I definitely would have bought the full size sooner than I did, but I think the 'c' was still the right choice to buy first [for me]. It's still my primary carry gun, and it serves well in that role, but I very rarely actually shoot it these days. The full-size, on the other hand, gets shot very regularly - it's my primary USPSA gun, and I'm lucky enough to live in an area where, weather permitting, I shoot at least one match/week from April through September or October, and then every other week all winter long.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I’d keep the full size. The compact really only serves occasionally as a middle size gun for those rare times I can’t carry a full size gun but can get away with more than my CM9. If I had to get rid of one of the three it would be the compact, since I’d be fine only using the CM9 during the 5% if the time the full size won’t work. At this point the P99c is just a back up to the P99, and I’ll have another full size at some point. But someone who carries the compact the majority of the time would have the opposite answer, so it’s a matter of what fits your needs.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts