Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I spent a hour or so at the range shooting my P99c AS in 9mm. This translates into a boring range report: Shot 222 rounds without incident. No problems. Nearly all hits in the black from 21 to 50 ft. Here is the first 11 rounds of my old carry ammo from 50 ft.

Every month or so I shoot up whatever is in my carry magazines. These were 124 gr. 9mm Gold Dots. The next 11 rounds were also GD, but the last 200 rounds were Federal 115 gr (the cheapest in the shop--man, ammo prices have skyrocketed!). I am always amazed at the accuracy of the little subcompact. Even though others have complained about the muzzle flip being more than a Glock's, I really don't notice because it comes right back on target so quickly.

One issue I've noticed is that the point of impact is much higher than with any of my other pistols (Beretta and SiG). I use a 6 o'clock hold with the P99c. But with my Berettas and SiGs, the POI is right under the middle dot. Is there a front sight that will lower the POI? I have Mepros on the pistol right now, but would consider changing brands if I had to. I would not give up nightsights, though.

ciadst

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
One issue I've noticed is that the point of impact is much higher than with any of my other pistols (Beretta and SiG). I use a 6 o'clock hold with the P99c. But with my Berettas and SiGs, the POI is right under the middle dot. Is there a front sight that will lower the POI? I have Mepros on the pistol right now, but would consider changing brands if I had to. I would not give up nightsights, though.
ciadst
Judging from the target, have you considered the possibility that the other guns are shooting low? Most of your hits printed below the inner dot. I don't detect that as an "issue". A low hit will do some damage. A high hit runs the possibility of a miss.

M

·
Registered
68 Posts
Fro what I have heard they are coming out with Mepro's for the P99c. The ones out now are for the P99 and the front sight is too high.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I like the stock sights because they are dead on. All of the after market night sights have to be tall enough to fit the tritium. I have heard from Uncut and others that installing the nightsights does alter the point of impact a tiny bit. I keep hearing that after ya get used to it, it is no big deal.

But, I've just stuck with the stock sights.

I don't think there is anything U can do.

Your aim looks great on the target, though.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Not too long ago somebody had this problem with a full size P99.... they called and got another front sight shiped.
There is 2 different front posts for sure since the P99 and P99c have different part #'s for the Meps.
What I been saying is that one should make sure to get the P99 sight for the P99 and P99c sights for the P99c just to make sure the post hight is correct for each model.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

Thanks! It's possible that I have a set of full-size P99 sights, since when I got them, there was only one set available for the P99 (no sets listed for the P99c). I actually have no complaints about the accuracy of the gun. It's just that I have to remember that I have to use a 6 o'clock hold with the P99c instead of a drive-the-dot/cover-the-target-the-the-middle-dot hold, which is popular with Berettas and SiGs.

ciadst

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
uncut is right: P99 Compact sights different than full-size

Looks like I'll be ordering a set on Monday:

Mfr# 18800 Meprolight for P99
Mfr# 12801 Meprolight for P99c and S&W SW99 Compact

Perhaps I should have waited until the 'proper' sights came out. I wonder if the 'normal' hold is a drive-the-dot type.

ciadst

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looks like I'll be ordering a set on Monday:

Perhaps I should have waited until the 'proper' sights came out. I wonder if the 'normal' hold is a drive-the-dot type.

ciadst

Where did you find the sets for the compact?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Isn't it
18800 for the P99
18801 for the P99c

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is 12801 for the S&W compact model. I am really confused now...and I want to order a set for my Walther P99 Compact. Why must things be so difficult!!!:D

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I would not hesitate to get the ones for the SW99c ......

·
Registered
335 Posts
FWIW:

Over the years some of the information I have picked up (rightly or wrongly) was that "American" firearms were designed so that when you were shooting for accuracy (as opposed to what?) the correct "sight picture" was having the "bottom of the X ring" sitting on the top of the front sight.. The "European" sight picture was suppose to be where you would place the CENTER of thebullseye ring (or right on the X) on the front sight.

That's probably all "bs", but I took it for granted that one or the other was the way to go, and when I bought, or just shot, a new firearm I would run a few rounds thru it to see where the rounds impacted, then figured out "which" sight picture it preferred and then adjusted my windage/elevation accordingly..

When I got my P99c/AS I took it "out back" and ran a first magazine of rounds thru it just to see what adjustments were necessary, and where the poi vs poa was, and the photo above shows the results.

I was shooting with a sight picture of the bottom of the X ring sitting on top of my front sight, from (I think) 5 yards, standing, two hands. The first (D/A) round impacted high as pictured, and the remaining SA rounds were mostly in the black, and slightly high..

I didn't make any adjustments as I had no problem with the slightly high group from that distance.. If I wanted to "plink" further out (say, 15 yards) the rounds should generally fall into a more accurate group.

My P99c/AS is my "middle" cc pistol.. When I can I prefer my fullsize P99/AS.. Then the P99c/AS, then my Seecamp LWS32.

I've found my P99c/AS to be the absolute most accurate pistol I've ever owned. I have small hands, I use the small backstrap.. When I tried the middle size backstrap just for fun, and my accuracy dropped off.. So, small backstrap works perfectly for me.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd be really curious about the results of the switch. I have two of the P99c with the MeProLights for the P99 on them, both shoot the same. Mine are in 40 S&W though so I'm not sure the experience generalizes to your case with the 9mm. It's put the white dot on the front sight over top of the point you want to hit, level the dots on the back with it, and it'll hit right where the center of the front dot is. I am not a big fan of that though since having the front post over the area I am aiming at means I can't actually see the target which hurts my accuracy. OTOH, it does make sense for shooting in low light conditions.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not too long ago somebody had this problem with a full size P99.... they called and g

Uncut that would be me bud.. I had the right set for my compact. The problem was that for some reason the sights were making my P99c 40 cal. shoot inches low even at a 12 0 clock hold on the target, I ended up getting the full size P99 sight sent to me and tried that out. It worked great. With a 6 o clock hold it drove every round into the center of target. The full size front sight is taller and the P99c is shorter so this was the fix for my little dilema.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Kevin....
thanks for reposting and correcting me.....
needless to say.... you got taken care of, which is the most important part

·
Registered
68 Posts
Great...I just ordered a set of Meprosights for my compact. Arizona Gun Runners for 68 bucks plus 10 shipping. Not too bad a price.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The right sights

I'm going to run by my local gun peddlers and see if they have a detailed catalog of the Meprolight sights, if not the sights themselves. I called Mepro and left a message, then spoke to someone at Cheaperthandirt who said that the SW99 and Walther sights could be the same: they carry the SW99 Compact sights, of course. If the compact front sight is shorter than the full size, than I don't think that will help me. Maybe I just have to get used to the 6 o'clock hold with this particular pistol.

ciadst

1 - 20 of 20 Posts