Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not a persistent problem, but every once in a while I will have some kind of malfunction loading or unloading my P99C where I can't move the slide far back enough to engage the slide stop. I think it may be an issue with the spring not collapsing all the way. The four or so times it's happened, I've taken the pistol apart, seen nothing wrong, put it back together, and it worked again.

In over 1000 rounds, I've never had a malfunction when actually firing the pistol that wasn't ammo-related.

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
9,924 Posts
I hope someone can give you some advice, but I'm stumped on that one. Especially as the gun never malfunctions during firing.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Two questions:

1) Is the recoil spring the original?

2) When this happens, is a round being held by the extractor? (I'm puzzled as to why you would engage the slide holdopen while loading.)

M

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the original spring. The whole gun is stock aside from sights.

I should rephrase. What happens first is I am not able to chamber a round (inserting a fresh mag and attempting to rack the slide), and on removing the mag and clearing the gun I find that the slide is not coming back far enough. So there is no round being held by the extractor, the gun is entirely clear aside from the loaded magazine.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Then I would suspect one of two things. Either

the spring is not right (for whatever reason; there could be several) and the coils are not compressing in a straight line but having to stack eccentrically, which causes a lot of resistance when one reaches the point of deformation, or

the rear flange on the recoil spring guide is not seating securely and centrally where it should be in the frame. Or the rod might be bent.

M

·
Registered
772 Posts
If it is the recoil spring, there might be signs on either the underside of the barrel, on the guide rod or where they seat in the frame.

But I would not be surprised if it had something to do with the moving parts in the striker, decocker, FPB or the trigger bar/fire control. Lots of little parts that need to be in the right place to not interfere with each other.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark the extreme rearward slide travel with a pencil. Then remove the recoil spring assembly and do it again.
I'll keep that in mind for whenever, and if, it happens again. I tried today and haven't been able to replicate it, and it hadn't happened for months. I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing to induce it. I'm paying extra attention when manipulating the weapon in case (not that I don't normally pay attention to what I'm doing when loading firearms).

Helpful advice all around. I was wondering if this was a noted P99C problem, but it seems not. I'll be sure to post back if I learn anything new.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'll keep that in mind for whenever, and if, it happens again. I tried today and haven't been able to replicate it, and it hadn't happened for months. I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing to induce it. I'm paying extra attention when manipulating the weapon in case (not that I don't normally pay attention to what I'm doing when loading firearms).

Helpful advice all around. I was wondering if this was a noted P99C problem, but it seems not. I'll be sure to post back if I learn anything new.
This is just a thought, and I'm only mentioning it because I was having the same problem with my brand new P99C. Mind you I had never fired it, but during all the handling, fondling, assembling, disassembling a guy does with a new handgun, I found that the one way I could consistently make this happen was by inserting an empty magazine into the frame, without the slide and barrel in place. I think this simple, seemingly harmless thing was pushing something mechanical in the frame too far, causing the pistol to malfunction. No matter what I did, I couldn't pull the slide back far enough to engage the slide lock, magazine in or out. I would then disassemble the pistol, and holding the grip frame alone with no magazine, there would be an audible "click". Not sure what it was, but if I put the pistol back together, it worked fine.

I thought I had a defective pistol. It concerned me so much that I almost didn't take it to the range, but my buddy and me popped off quite a few rounds with absolutely no problems today. Fine pistol... glad I got one!

Don

1 - 12 of 12 Posts