Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my P99C to the range tonight to "recycle" some of my carry ammo. I shot one magazine with no problem, but on the second one the slide didn't lock open when it was empty. I thought maybe I had my thumb on the slide release. When I tried it by hand (wracking the gun with the empty mag in place) it wouldn't lock. I tried it with two other mags -- same problem. Then I tried it with the first mag (which had worked fine) -- same problem.

I'm assuming that it's something with the spring on the mag release. When I insert an empty mag with the slide removed, I can see the lever lift into place. When the slide is back in place, though, it doesn't seem to be enough to engage the slide lock. It will lock into place if I do it manually (pushing up on the slide release lever with my thumb) but it's not lifting high enough to engage automatically.

Has anyone else run into this problem? I only have about 500 rounds through this particular gun and up until now the operation has been flawless. I'll try stripping it when I get home this weekend to see if anything is obviously out of position.

Any thoughts or incites are appreciated!

Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
is it a 9mm or 40?

I have not had this issue. But, it does sound like the springs. Contact Walther USA and ask for them to send help ya out. If its just the 1 mag, then its definetly at fault. I bet they will send U a new mag or a spring..

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry -- it's a 9mm, 2004 (AE) model.

It is happening with all four magazines, so I was sure it was a problem with the gun. But I just tried an experiment. With the slide removed, I inserted the empty mag and it moved the catch up to the right position. But as soon as I pressed down on the follower, it dropped and the slide catch moved back down. It appears that the magazine spring doesn't have enough force to move it back up. It works when I insert the mag, but now I think that's just the mechanical "push" engaging the slide lock.

Great! Now I just put the same magazine back in and it's locking back every time!! Arrgghh! It's also "working" with my spare carry mag -- although with both of them the slide lock does not go all the way up into the notch on the slide. It's enough to lock the slide back, but I can still push it up another 16th of an inch until it's seated flush against the slide.

Can anyone compare that to their working P99C and tell me if yours does the same thing? Now I'm really puzzled between the gun and the magazines. Two of the four mags I use are loaded all the time for carry and the other two are normally empty. What are the odds that all four would fail at the same time?

It's always so much easier when that "piece" comings springing off or is dangling down inside....

Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
To offer some insight, any standard slide release lever works on the principle of opposing spring forces - the slide release lever spring keep it down while you are shooting. The mag spring (acting with the mag follower) overcomes this force when the mag is empty and the follower can catch the slide release. Therefore, for proper functioning, the mag spring force must be enough to overcome the slide release spring.

So yes, from what you've described, it sounds like the mag isn't overcoming the resistance of the slide release, but since you're getting it happening intermittently with all your mags I'd suggest 1) clean your mags and verify that the followers are freely travelling and that the tab that engages the slide release isn't malformed, then 2) clean around the slide release, check for binding of the lever from grit between it and the frame, and verify that the spring for it is seated correctly.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've had lots of issues with the slide not locking back on an empty mag. Frankly I'm disappointed in Walthers lack of quality there. Something about the design is marginal in that area and it shouldn't be. In my case it can happen with blue and red followers. If anything it appears that temperature has an effect. Cold weather makes the problem more likely. I love my P99 but this part I'm not impressed with. Quite embarassing when you pull the trigger and it goes 'click' instead of 'bang'. My gun is reasonably clean. Cleanliness of the gun doesn't -appear- to affect this but I'm not sure. I will clean my mags and try again. Waiting for my pistol class here in CT so I can take my gun to the range again. They postponed it a month because it was too hot and no AC at the range

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I note I can interject that may help - When I had my SW99 hard chromed - it would not lock back after the last round on my first trip after getting the slide back. I cleaned the slide release with a tothbrush, the extractor, etc. It still did it with every mag.

Finally, I took the slide off again, and oiled that small "button" that U can push that's on the bottom/inside of the slide. Put it back together - and it has worked fine every since - for over 6 months now.

Maybe try that... I don't know how that affects the functioning of the slide release, but it fixed it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts