Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my P99C to the range with me tonight. I've shot it several times before, and it's pretty accurate. Not quiet as accurate (for me) as my full size P99, but still very decent. All of my other range sessions have been at 7-10 yds...my "standard" practice distance. Tonight I decided to shoot a few magazines closer in, so I put the target at 3 yds. I took aim, fired....and was amazed to see I had missed the square I was aiming at! The shot hit about 5-6 inches low. I proceeded to empty the magazine and all the shots were low. If I moved my point of aim up considerably (so that the spot on the target was hidden by the frame of the pistol) then the shots started falling on target.

Has anyone else experienced this at close range? I haven't seen this with any of my other guns. At 7-15 yds, the gun is accurate and on target. It was only close in that it happened. It's a bit disconcerting, since this is my carry piece. I'd like to think that at 3 yds I'd be dead on (no pun intended) accurate.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks!

Jim

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I will head to the range and try this with my compact. However I have Big Dots and the POA is a bit different anyway...I would think, if anything, that it would be shooting high rather than low at close range...any difference in your ammo? Grip? Take it back out on a different day and try it again.

I too am curious?

·
Registered
333 Posts
This action that you are seeing is related to the "sight radius" of your pistol...........

The easiest way for me to describe it to you is with a visual this way:

Take a piece of paper and place a 1/2 inch black dot on it.

Now hold the paper 2 inches in front of your barrel with the dot directly in front of the bore.

Now look down the sights of the gun and you will see that the dot is NOT visible to you, but low and hidden by the gun"s barrel.

In order for you to see the black dot -- what do you have to do ?? Drop the front of the gun's slide...........thus causing the barrel to point lower......making the gun hit lower if you were to fire the gun.

I hope this helps you to understand what is happening ??

JF.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It makes sense. This is the first compact pistol I've had and I've never encountered this with any of my full-size pistols. Normally at 3 yds I can cut the center out of the target! It makes sense that the shorter sight radius changes the point of impact, particularly at these shorter distances. I guess I need to practice at the closer ranges more often...since that's where I'd be most likely to have to use it.

Thanks again!

Jim

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Usually, sights are set for either 15 or 25 yards. I will admit that some guns are spot on at closer ranges, and some are not. 3 yards sometimes is too close on some guns. It is too close on my USP, yet my Glock 34 still shoots at the right spot at 3 yards. Just depends I guess.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Actually I used the wrong "terminology" to describe what I thinks is happening with the guns shooting low --at close range.

Sight radius refers to the distance between the front sight and the rear sight -- not what I wanted to describe.

I meant to refer to is the distance the sight system is off the mid-line of the bore of the weapon. Depending on the shape of the slide and the design of the front blade & rear sight --this distance can vary.

I am thinking the closer your sight system is to the barrel's mid-line.....the less problems you will have at shooting closer distances. We need some folks to take some measurments to prove this theory.

JF.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts