Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my p99c qa this weekend and have not had a chance to fire it. Long story as to why it wasn't an AS, but I'm sure I will enjoy it. Trigger pull sure isn't as short as my 1911, but I think the weight may bother me more than anything. Now to the point, has anyone considered cutting the striker spring down a hair. I'm sure this would void a warranty, but do not see how it could lead to any damage to the pistol over any period of time. I am not LE, nor do I see myself concealed carrying. Has anyone considered this at all?

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I think some people have messed w/ it w/ various success. That's the downside of the QA, though. I hate to say it, but you probably should not have bought it if ya thought it was too heavy. I've dry fired the QAs a few times, and everytime I can tell it is too heavy.

U can play with the striker spring I suppose, but I wouldn't unless its gonna ONLY be a range gun.

And, the A/S makes a better range gun. I personally thing that the QA trigger is too heavy to have fun and bullseye shoot on paper, trying to get small groups.

I think it may be good for carry, though. As the trigger is a bit heavier.

I like the HK LEM triggers as well - but only on a carry gun. At the range, I thinks a bit harder to shoot very small groups/bullseyes with the LEM trigger - at least compared to a regular trigger (one could do it, I suppose, but it would take a lot of practice).

Basically, each trigger has its place.

As I love to go pop holes in paper, and am not satisfied if I just hit the target anywhere but the bullseye, I like the A/S.

But, IF U want the QA to eventually be a carry gun, don't mess w/ the spring...

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Yes... there has been a few who done this.. with more success than using Glock replacement springs....
though I would give it some good dryfiring session before taking any actions since the spring will compress alone pretty fast....
500 rounds is been said to help on the P99/AS.... I don't know if it will do anything on the P99/QA
here is a post that might be a interesting read for you....
http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2131&highlight=striker+spring

enjoy, it is kinda long but worthwhile reading all of it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That thread took an hour to read, but was worth it. I have not decided what I will do. I am glad someone tried it first though. If anyone has done this and is still around, let me know how it worked out in the long run.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've tried it and I am still around and so is the gun.

I didn't like the Wolf replacement nor Glock springs. Neither would dependably pop a primer, sometimes it would, sometimes it would not. I opted to order a spare striker spring from Walter and snip off about 5 coils. Now this was done on an AS model and it is on a gun that I use ONLY for practical pistol shooting. IT IS NOT MY CARRY GUN. The reasons for this are for legal purposes.

Now would I do it again? Maybe. Why maybe? Well after comparing my gun with the cut coils compared to another full size, one that is broken in rather well without cut coils, I can?t tell the difference between the two. I don?t have a gauge to measure so my results are purely subjective but hey, who cares if one actually measures lighter or not if I can?t tell the difference when I am firing the gun?

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I thought about messing w/ my A/S's initially. But ya know what - I like the triggers exactly the way they are now. I see no point to doing that.

Interesting to hear that they are nearly the same now...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts