Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For any of you out there who understand the P99 QA trigger, I want to ask a question. What good is the QA trigger exactly?
My buddy just bought a P99C QA, and in fact he did not want the QA but forgot to specify when he ordered it and the company that the gunshop ordered it from sent a QA. He is taking it back tomorrow and asking if he can exchange for a traditional double/single action trigger set up with the decocker.

The QA trigger functions as follows: You insert a loaded magazine in the gun and drop the slide thus chambering a round. The trigger is now in a double action mode, long heavy trigger pull but the striker is cocked. You can push the decocker and drop the striker without fireing the gun but now the trigger will not fire the gun without racking the slide first. In other words, the QA trigger is a DAO trigger with a decocker. What possible use is that? What the heck was Walther thinking when they came up with that?

My buddy loves the feel of the gun, the grip and the natural pointability of it but, he hates the QA trigger. I don't blame hime at all.

Do any of you have any idea why the QA trigger was designed?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think the QA trigger is lighter than the true DAO Walther had for a while (the 990). In fact, information on their site confirms this:

http://www.waltheramerica.com/p99_specs.htm (check the chart).

So the idea was to have a trigger with a consistent, somewhat heavy, pull. The heavy trigger is needed to make it safe to carry with a chambered round. Not sure why the decocker is needed except take down perhaps. I doubt many people carry a decocked QA. If I carried my AS I'd have it in decocked/DA mode.

Your buddy is welcome to do with the gun as he pleases but the QA is a very popular trigger (ala Glock) so it seems Walther has not designed a dud. I certainly see the value in a consistent heavy pull for a carry weapon. I have on occasion shot my AS before I intended to and this was at the range. I can only imagine how that would be under stress.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Everyone is different, I also wanted a SA but ended up with a QA and love it. I shoot more accurately with it because of the consistent trigger pull (didn't think I would at first). I think the QA is the best compromise between the single action and the double action.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm not sure what you define as a "heavier" trigger pull....6.5 lbs is less than the Walther DA and way less than something like the 15-lb Beretta! It's only slightly heavier than the factory Glock pull (5.5 lbs) and even less than the DA pull on a P99 (8 lbs).

Having said all that, I personally don't like the idea of a loaded gun that may not go "BANG" when I pull the trigger. The decocker is supposedly there for maintenance...but the fact that it can disable the gun is a big problem in my book. The consistent trigger pull is an okay feature, but it's not that big a deal to me. I have a Glock 17 (with a 3.5 lb trigger) so I know how a Glock-like action can feel. Given all that, I still prefer my P99 AS.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Echotech @ Mar. 29 2005,5:26)]In other words, the QA trigger is a DAO trigger with a decocker. What possible use is that? What the heck was Walther thinking when they came up with that?
It's not really a DAO, since the striker is half-cocked to begin with.  As others have mentioned, the QA is comparable to the Glock trigger.

The reason for the decocker is for safety reasons.  How many people forget Safety Rule #1 that a gun is always loaded?  Many!!!  How many stories have we heard of people going to clean their gun, they take the magazine out and the all to familiar words "I'm sure it was unloaded, I took the magazine out"  The decocker is there for mainly that reason, to ensure a safe way to decock your pistol before you dissasemble it.  On a Glock, you have to pull the trigger. The decock button is smaller than the one on the AS model and takes more effort to press it, because of its size.

I've been carrying a P99QA and using it in competition, since 1998 and never once had it decock on me.  I had 3 of the tradition trigger P99's (AS models), but found they weren't as accurate as the QA's, so they all got traded for QA's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've been carrying a P99QA and using it in competition, since 1998 and never once had it decock on me. I had 3 of the tradition trigger P99's (AS models), but found they weren't as accurate as the QA's, so they all got traded for QA's.

Are you serious? QA is more accurate

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I agree with P88, the QA is more accurate than the SA for me as well. I do not know if it is because it locks up tighter or if it is the length of the trigger reach, all I know is that the end result is very tight groups. It is the first gun of many that I have had that I can get impressive groups at 25 yrds.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stoping Power @ Mar. 30 2005,7:53)]Are you serious? QA is more accurate
Very serious. Did a lot of testing. I had three traditional triggered P99's at the time and had one QA. All were .40's. Results may vary per person, but for me, the QA is more accurate. As a result, I traded all the traditional P99's for QA's. I've also got a 9mm QA that has been exceptional also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got the QA intentionally due to the consistent trigger pull. I can shoot well enough with it for my liking.

I would never carry it decocked. In a shoulder holster, I know I'm not going to accidently pull the trigger.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: shooting tighter groups, I'm positive consistency in pull would make grouping better, this is what I found on 1911 SA guns. I'm guessing slide/frame fit is probably the same within all P99 family, excluding manufacturing variance. One thing to test for is if you gently pull the P99 AS trigger after you charge slide, you can make it rest at the regular SA position. Once there, your pull would be the exact same for the entire mag. Has anyone tested grouping this way, vs. QA trigger? It would supprise me if the grouping difference is significant.

Also wondering if someone can post an actual photo of QA trigger. Where does the trigger tip rest? Does it sit closer to the grip, compared to AS (SA/DA) system? Here is a photo of my 2003 AS, it's tip is forward of the trigger guard hump, but I remember seeing some P99 that has the trigger tip just above the hump.

·
Registered
141 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (P88 @ April 03 2005,12:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stoping Power @ Mar. 30 2005,7:53)]Are you serious? QA is more accurate
Very serious.  Did a lot of testing.  I had three traditional triggered P99's at the time and had one QA.  All were .40's.  Results may vary per person, but for me, the QA is more accurate.  As a result, I traded all the traditional P99's for QA's.  I've also got a 9mm QA that has been exceptional also.
this convinces to me to go with QA

·
Registered
13 Posts
after shooting my friends glock 22, the trigger pull on my qa seems very similar. I like it. very fast trigger action if you ask me, not as mushy as the glocks either. Decocker is a plus. cocking is really easy only have to rack the slide like 1/2 inch or so..

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hey, WaltherP99,

I have been out of the loop for a while, just saw your picture.  I pulled my QA out and yes, the tip of the trigger is over the hump on the trigger guard.  Not in front of it like an AS.  So, initial trigger reach is about 1 or 2 mm less.  I also measured the take-up on my QA and it is 5 mm before you meet resistance.  I cannot remember if there is much take-up on an SA in double action mode, but I agree with some of the previous posters that a shorter trigger reach does help accuracy.
Sorry I cannot post a picture due to lack of knowledge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts