Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P99C QA SW .40 - Had the gun for about six months. Ive put somewhere around 500 rounds through it with not one problem (Ive kept it clean and in great shape). A week ago I took it to range, loaded it with the usual Winchester 165 gr FMJ target practice ammo and for the first time the gun jammed, the bullet in the chamber gets stuck in front of the one that is trying to go into the chamber. The more I fired it the more it began to jam consistantly. It appears to only happen with this type of ammo. But it didnt use to. I went back today and tested it with Hornady 180 gr JHP/XTP and Wichester Ranger SXT (also hp) didnt have any problems at all.

Anyone know what this could be. Im a little reluctant to pass it off as just the ammo since I have fired the target practice ammon before with no problems. I even tried another box of the same stuff. It jammed more.
But today it was like my old reliable and accurate p99c was back, just dont know if I can afford target practice only being able to shoot expensive ammo!!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Let us check the most obvious things first........

Check your Extractor: This is the claw like object on the outside of the bolt. Make sure the claw is clear of built up debris. Use a small [ very ] screwdriver to get in behind the claw to clean it out. Use a wire brush [ bronze ] if needed. Make sure no parts of the extractor has broken off.

Check the ejector: This will be on the inside of the bolt [ left side as the gun faces away from you ] The ejector should look like a metal rod protruding through a hole on the side of the bolt. It will only become visible when you pull the slide back. Check to make sure it has not broken off.

Many times if these parts are damaged.......the gun will still function with using powerful ammo.......as the recoil is violent enough to move the spent shell casing out of the way.

Check these items and get back to us.......

JF.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Wanted to say thanks for the info and reply.

1) The box of Winchester is the White Box Target/ Range 165 gr FMJ 40 S&W. Again I have been able to fire it before but recently with two seperate boxes the gun began to jam (at one point every other time). But when tested with the Hornady and Win. Ranger, not one problem.

2) Also just checked the extractor and the ejector, both are clean and appaer to be fiine.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Next thing to examine are your "Magazines"

Sometimes you will have a magazine failure.......so if you haven't checked for this problem.....do so.

Make sure the jams are not occurring with just one magazine?

Again, these are obvious things to check. I doubt your weapon is old enough for the recoil spring to become weakened.............but I would order a new one and try it if all other things fail. It doesn't hurt to have an extra one on hand anyway. S&W customer service can help you with that purchase. After that it will take a S&W gunsmith to figure out the problem..........or your local gunsmith.

JF.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts