Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I managed to install the Walther phosphorescent sights a friend gave me (he had given up trying to install the rear sight, and I can see why!), I would like to tweak something that is mildly annoying about my new P99c.

The two sides of the magazine release paddle aren’t aligned the same. It’s not a cosmetic issue, the right side sticks up a little which is causing a rub on my trigger finger. The left side is in the correct position.

Before I start carving on the lever to remove the portion that is above the trigger guard bottom, is there a way to adjust the position of the paddles?

Photo attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I've had mine for over three and a half years. It looks like that too. Never had an issue here.

Reactions: AnthonyC

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine's the same. Stop staring at it and it won't bother you, LOL.
I couldn’t care less what it looks like - the issue is that it’s rubbing the side of my trigger finger.

Ok, I guess it’s time to take it apart and see if it can be adjusted.

·
Premium Member
13,882 Posts
HD....woooooo....slow down. This is simple...they're ALL like that. Why? I'll show you that in a second. Better question is why hasn't this been fixed already....it'd be sooooo easy.

The problem is a positive 'stop' for the right side lever. The left side has a stop, but the right side does not. If you look closely, you'll see a little 'nub' on the frame on the left side that provides a positive stop for correct lever alignment. They assumed that'd be good enough, but there's enough 'flex' in the lever that the right side is forced a little farther UP.

You just need to fabricate a stop (maybe a little dot of JB-Weld) or something on the frame on the right side.

Here's a few pictures. After looking at these, go fiddle with your pistol and you'll see what I mean.

This is my most recently acquired P99.

A little blurry, but you can see the left side is just fine.

I put 2 business cards in the crack between frame and the lever body to act as a spacer/stop. You can see a nub about the thickness of 2 business cards will do the trick.

Closeup of lever and area that needs attention.

Same area with the lever pressed down.

Drive the pin out, remove the lever and put a tiny drop of something either on the frame or the lever.

·
Premium Member
13,882 Posts
Soon: "Halp, I epoxied my magazine release shut!"
Oh nooooo, you missed the instructions at the bottom of post 5. :eek:

Ya know, I think I tried this once before and the tiny dab of JB Weld came off when I was trying to gently sand it/shape it.

We'll see what happens.....I'll know tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great! I was thinking heating and slightly bending the right side lever would do the trick, but I’ll wait and see how yours works first.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
... I was thinking heating and slightly bending the right side lever would...
Quit thinking that right away. Your pistol and its parts are not made from the same kind of plastic as your tupper box with its rotting leftovers inside.
Different melting/flaming points, also fiberglass re-enforced and such.

·
Premium Member
13,882 Posts
Sometimes I'm good. :D Other times I'm just lucky.:eek:

Got er' done. A little careful application of JB Weld and some REALLY delicate sanding....just a tiny bit. Put er' in, and its jussssssst right. Question is, will it last? only time will tell.

I apologize for the blurry picture, got a new phone, trying to learn how to use/focus it.

Compare the above to the 'before' picture, below.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow, this forum is a wealth of info.
I literally just noticed this on my P99C mag release this past weekend while cleaning it after a range trip. I ignorantly tried to gently bend the piece on the right side to make it flush with the trigger. It wasn't because it was malfunctioning. I just did not like the way it looked.
I probably won't disassemble the mag release to try the JB Weld trip because as the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I was just impressed that something I noticed was then written about this week. Glad I found this forum.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I know the '99c is like this, but does the big brother (P99) have this as well? :D

I need to fix mine too. IAOF, want to do it for me? LOL

·
Premium Member
13,882 Posts
^^^^^Ha, that IS my P99. The frames on both P99 and P99C are just a like, with a factory nub 'stop' on the left side and nothing on the right side. Just took a look at my newly acquired P99C, yep, its almost as bad as the P99. Guess I'll have to fix it too. :D

Here ya go. This is the nub on the left side.

And here's the right side ... no nub. And this allows the spring pressure to actually twist or push the right side lever a little higher. This would be so easy to fix....well, it would require modifying the mold for the pistol frames. Or, even cheaper, they could modify the paddle, much like I did.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
This has come up in here before a few years ago. That’s how I know it’s really a non-issue (cosmetic) for most anyway.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Funny, when I bought my 99c a year ago, I noticed that, so I asked for another one fresh from the stockroom. It too was the same, so I figured they were all like that. Now a year later, every gun show I do, I look over all the 99's we have. I've seen hundred's, & they are all the same. Doesn't bother me now. GARY

·
Premium Member
13,882 Posts
You're right....they've been like this for years.....some worse than others. It is cosmetic and does not affect the operation of the pistol. It just looks like $hit, so I fixed it. :D I've got my P99C on the workbench, paddle mag release removed and some epoxy drying as we speak.

Easy Peazy..................

1 - 20 of 44 Posts