Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 nights ago I was in my Tactical Pistol class and we were working on speed reloads- I emptied my clip into the target, pulled a fresh one from the pouch- edjected the empty and slid the new one into place- as I did this (with some force because I was moving quickly)- the fingerrest and buttplate busted off the mag- the spring and all the bullets poured out into my hand and on the floor.

This was a real Walther magazine that came with the gun when I bought it new fewer than 2 months ago. The rangemaster and I looked for the spring but could not find it- I have all the other pieces of the magazine but would not dare try and fix it and use it again.

You can imagine how bad that would be in a real gunfight!!!! These mags are $45.00! Has anyone else had a similar experience?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
What caliber?

This has been happening on the full sized .40 magazines lately. It seems to be a bad batch of floorplates and just happened within the last 6 months or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep if its a .40 S&W, Walther will be the first to tell you there was a problen with them, Just tell them and they will send you out 2 new ones fast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry- didnt think to mention- This is a 9mm p99c AS. Do you think Walther would still exchange them? Dumb question... would I email or call walther america or someone else (SW for example).

Thanks,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Call 800-372-6454 (the Walther America #), I found it to be faster and less of a pain in the ass phone system than S&W (who will transfer you to them anyway).

When I dealt with them they were very friendly helpful prompt and professional on the phone and in their actions

·
Registered
539 Posts
Man o man that sucks. Unbelievable that Mecgar is unable to deliver a decent mag for Walther. After that debacle with the .40 full size mags you'd think they would know better and build an absolutely bullet proof (hehe) mag for the P99c. Guess we should revisit the attempts at making an aluminum replacement.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is there any way to evaluate your mag?

I mean, is there something I can look for or something I can try (lateral pressure on the baseplate) that will let me know if I've got bum mags?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Keep an eye on the floorplates for cracks starting at the front. I went through 4 of them. Do a search here. You'll find lots of info.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Well, this is the first 9mm that I've heard of.

Did the floor plate actually break off, or did it slip off somehow? Your description is a little vague.

Can you post a picture?

Walther will be good to you and help you out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know I dont think it broke- it seems to be in one piece (or 2 pieces, as the fingerrest is a separate piece. Now the mag is ruined because the spring shot out and we couldnt find it - plus I wouldnt trust the mag again.

I guess you are suggesting the the plate just slid off when I pushed on it from the bottom- I think you may be right- seems like it should be fixed a little tighter than it was because I dont think I did anything THAT rough with it. Our instructer DID have us release half full mags and let them drop to the floor several times to practice reloading- maybe it took a good hit to the right spot which loosened it, and then when I pushed on it it just popped or slid off.

I will definately give them a call- thanks again for everyone's input- this is a great resource!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I didn't notice that it was a 9mm.  That's the first I've heard of a 9mm floorplate breaking.  

Mine started this way:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts