Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im new here and i have just purchased the p99c in 40 with the qa trigger. the thing is my god does this thing have some muzle flip! Anyone else have on n the same configuraton? Dont get me wrong i love the gun but im not going to lie i get scared of it and after about 5 rounds im all over the target! I have a glock 27 and am dead on balls accurate with that. I also have many more guns that i can shoot fine, even a 44 eagle. I have had friends shot this monster of a lil gun and they all have the same response OWE! I like the gun i want to carry i as my off duty but im afraid to try to qualify with it, any one got any good sugestons on what to do? i am strongly thinking aobut Mag-na-port. let me know what you all think

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Yes, I would not have gotten the P99c in anything but 9mm. Generally, I see responses such as yours when talking about the compact 40. The P99c does have more muzzle flip than a Glock. I carried a G26 for eight years. But in 9mm, it really isn't that bad. I like it a lot.

I too would be scared to shoot it in 40. I am sorry you are just now finging this out.

The XD's are having a lot of issues with the slides breaking on the ported guns. I personally wouldn't do that to your P99c. And, U would probably voide the warranty.

1 other factor to consider before magnaporting. When U post a semi auto, U need a weaker recoil spring in order for the gun to function. I do not believe U will be finding weaker sprinks for the P99c, being that it is a 2 piece assembly. U will end up porting it and then it will not work.

If U really are unhappy w/ it, I would advise selling it and getting a 9mm version after. U will loose some $, but not as much as if U magnaported it. Sell it on the various gun websites. That is what I do when I sell a gun (only, I list "face to face sales only")

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
It is known that the P99c.40S&W is snappy.... well some say it's ok I guess.....anyhow
While I don't know a thing about Magnaporting...the P99/c 9mm and .40S&W use the same recoild spring..... so with the higher pressure of the .40S&W I would think even when magnaported it still would/should work... but that is just my guess... don't come nocking on my door in the event it should not work......
That said you can always contact Waltheramerica's customer service and see if they offer any other recoil assemblies or what they have to say... I remember at some point when they offeres recoil assemblies with metal guidrods instead the polymer ones ... so I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask away, maybe they offer something from the SW99c that will work in the P99c... so you might want to call S&W customer service too instead of just Waltheramerica which I am sure you know is run by S&W.....

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Well, the problem w/ porting is that the factory can come up w/ a gun that works when its factory porting. But for you and I to do it, its hard.

I had a Glock 17 in the 1990's that had a swuib and blew the barrel. Well, I bought a comped 6" barrel to replace it. Never could get that thing to run. Bought a lot of extra recoil springs, and a metal guidrod. Tried cutting them to various lengths. Never would work right no matter what.

Prev has a comped 1911 - it used a lower poundage spring - 13lbs. On Handgunforum, a guy bought his own comp and experimented with various springs. He finally got one to work at 8 or 9lbs. I was very amawed that he had to go that low. But, remember, those stock springs are still the original length. I think when ya start cutting coils, it doesn't always work the same.

I wouldn't do it, if it were me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i alreeady contacted walther america and they said a longas it didnet interfer with the workings of the gun it wouldnet void the waranty. I have talked to many peopel about this and the ones that have had guns magnaported in the past all seem to say go for it but the ones that havent had them done say its a bad idea. Anyone got any cure alls for the monstor kick this thing has. Im kind of kicking my self in the ass for buying the 40 but it is fun to watch other peopel shot it and get the bagemus scared out of them

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Well, good luck. I gotta say that I'd have to say I'd think that cutting holes in the slide and barrel would affect your warranty. I've contacted Walther USA a few times in the past, and I knew more about the P99 than they did. So, I'd caution U to verify that again.

Good luck... I still think U will have recoil spring issues. Once U port the gun, the timing changes. U need a weaker spring or it won't cycle right and U will get jams. Instead of spending all that cash on the magna porting, sell the gun and buy a 9mm version. It would cost U less in the long run, and U need not worry if it will work or not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it seems your the man around here, so ill head your warnings, im oging to call magnaport and see if they will make good if anything happens but they prob wount, i got to try to qualify with it see how i do and go from there but thanks for all the help

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i wrote mag-na-port and here is what they said First let me say we have been Magnaporting Semi-Auto pistols of all types for over 30 years and have never had a "slide break"! Also, they only time we have had customers replace their recoil spring is when they have request a double port job on the pistol.

The standard auto-porting will not require replacement of the recoil spring. Keep in mind there are alot of companies offering different types of "porting" services and we cannot speak for their service.

We guarantee reasonable care in processing your order, but do not assume any responsibility for the manufacturer of the firearm.

.......... i went to the range tonight and i put the bigger back strap in, put on some metro night sights and swiched from 165 to 180 grain bullets, i still cant shoot tight groups with it but it should be enought to qualify with it

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I would get it done....
like said before the .40S&W uses the same recoil spring than the 9mm.... so even with porting I would think you still have enough preasure to make the 9mm spring cycle right with the .40S&W ported....

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Well I can't be of much help since I don't have any ported guns but if my memory serves me well, I think Sniper350 had a ported .40 and also had some cycling problems. I would have to agree with Shipwreck. Sell the .40 and get a 9mm. I have a compact in 9mm and I would have to say that it is my favorite pistol. I don't leave home without it.

Best of luck. Keep us informed.:)

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Jakestarr.....
you are right about sniper350's P99 with the ported .40S&W barrel......but keep in mind that his was not a factory barrel... I think his problems were with fitting problems of the barrel and not the porting itself......

http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3857&highlight=ported

http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3687&highlight=ported

this isn't about porting... but there is some good info anyways
http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3295&highlight=ported

and here some pics of Sniper350's P99 with the .40S&W extended ported barrel
http://www.pbase.com/blackbeard350/walther_p-99

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Well, good luck if ya do it. I'm not trying to be a naysayer - I'm just giving U my experience with ported guns. And they have always required less powerful springs. Granted, the ports were generally bigger than the small magnaported holes.

But, despite what they say, I would be suspect.

Also, if the compact will be your carry gun, assuming U have no timing issues with the ports, the ports can possibly be a danger. I wouldn't want a ported gun as a carry gun.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sell the .40 and get a 9mm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
And I bet the muzzle flash from a ported compact would be a sight to see...:eek:
Can't say for sure in an Auto, but there is little to no difference in flash between my ported 4" Taurus Tracker, and my non-ported 2 1/2" Taurus 651 snubbie, and if anything the non ported snubbie has more flash then the ported Tracker.
I've found that the amount of flash is more a function of ammo choice (more correctly the powder used in the ammo) the the porting of the barrel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so what is your oppinoin on porting is it worth it or is it just a bunch of hopla/? does it reduce the muzzle jump alot to take the risk of doing this??

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a SIG and a Glock in .40 and they both exhibit a lot more muzzle flip than the equivalent 9mm. I'm wondering if it's more a characteristic of the more powerful .40 round than the gun itself... I guess I would differ from previous advice only in that I would keep the .40 and then buy a 9mm in addition... figure out over time which one you like the best.

Did you choose the .40 because you prefer it for SD? Or just because it was available?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Muzzle flip and flash two different issues. A .40 will have more flip due to the bullet weight...to cut down of flip shot a lighter bullet...if you handload it could also be from the crimp that you place on the cartridge....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i ordered the 40 because my glock is a 40 and i love the way it shoots, and i dont reload my own but i have swiched to 180 grain and between that the laser i put on the front which makes it a ounce more it seems to be more controlable, i put a vid up on antoher post (laserlyte laser) that shows how hard the thing kicks

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well I might as well throw in my 2 cents into the pot :)

As stated by Uncut, the problem with my ported barrel was more of a fitment problem because it was an "Extended" barrel......... and did not rotate properly at the front of the slide. As we all know Walther uses a drop down barrel method to cycle and load the new round. The barrel must be free to angle down during cycling.

Now as to porting a compact "Carry handgun" ......... never........is my advice.
Just to many situations that could occur that would potentially blast powder residue into your face at super-sonic speeds. It is fine [ ported barrels ] as long as you tell me you will ALWAYS have the gun held out at arms length when firing. But in self defense situations, sometimes you have to fire with the gun held closer to your body. Bar-Sto does not recommend the use of any of their ported barrels for self defense - period - no exceptions !

You talked to us about a "flinch" problem maybe developing .......... well if you port that compact.....prepare yourself for a whole lot of NOISE. All of the blast wave that use to be sent down range .........is now going to be re-directed up -- near to your head. Again, as long as you are holding that handgun straight out at arms length --- it is not that big of a problem. But hold that same weapon in tight to your belt buckle .......... and man what a blast you will have -- literally :mad:

If it were me ........ I would buy the 9 mm for carry and keep the 40 for practice or maybe re-sell.

JF.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts