Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird thing today at the range with my Walther P99C. Using Blazer aluminum 115gr, my pistol did a 2-shot full-auto burst on two occasions.

As you all know the trigger reset is *very* short and that makes it a pleasure to shoot - but I wonder if under muzzle whip I managed to fire twice in a split second? I kept firing and finished the mag and a couple mags later it did it again. Over 600 rounds since new and this has not happened before...

Any ideas on this? Should I send it to S&W?

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Well, I wonder if U fired it 2x by accident w/ a trigger pull, or if it really went fully auto.

If U think it went auto on its own. definetly send it in. It is not safe - what if it goes fully auto...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, I wonder if U fired it 2x by accident w/ a trigger pull, or if it really went fully auto.
It sure felt like full auto. Like I wrote, over 600 trouble-free rounds, then twice in one day I get the quick burst.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm thinking it was probably an unintentional double tap caused by recoil. If the gun was broken and going full auto. I would have went full auto every time you pulled the trigger.

Unintentional double taps are more common with light triggers.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Now I have seen more than one Glock go full auto and they did need repairs. I cann't remember if some one here said they had a 99 go full auto or not but I am pretty sure that the innards on the Walther AS and the Glock are quite different. Don't know if the 99 is capable of this glitch?

But from personal experience I have had this "full auto" double tap happen to me with all 3 of my 99's. Turned out is was me not the gun. Too quick on the trigger or in the heat of competition shooting...

Boy I do love the AS trigger

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That trigger reset can really sneak up on you
True. With over 600 rounds through the pistol I'm really getting comfy with it and starting 'ride' the reset which may have caused the quick double shot...

So what's the solution?

1) Keep rearward pressure on the trigger so it doesn't reset.

2) Upon firing, remove finger from trigger since it won't fire again if your finger isn't touching the trigger.

#1 makes more sense - #2 seems like too much to think about in that split second.

·
Registered
525 Posts
To me #1 is the "right" way to shot. Squeeze off a shot, hold the trigger back, when the sights realign with the target, release until it clicks, and squeeze again.

·
Registered
821 Posts
There's a guy on XDtalk.com that claims to have seen a 40 P99 fire multiple times by itself upon dropping on concrete.

I don't know if I believe it, but I have had VERY fast double taps with the P99 AS's great reset and light trigger.

-stunks

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Soybomb @ Sep. 30 2006,10:18)]To me #1 is the "right" way to shot.  Squeeze off a shot, hold the trigger back, when the sights realign with the target, release until it clicks, and squeeze again.
Thats what I do - I don't do rapid fire very often

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2) Upon firing, remove finger from trigger since it won't fire again if your finger isn't touching the trigger.
Well I think I am guilty of the number 2 style. Growing up I had a nice O/U 20 ga. that I used for pheasant and grouse but it had a blowback trigger reset. I had to train myself to release the trigger before I could get the next shot off...I still do the same today...oh, well.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Can someone link me to the XD?  That is either a broken walther, or someone is blowing smoke up peoples asses.

Also when I first got my P99 I had the same issue, however if you practice with it it will allow you to drop several rounds into a badguy really fast and pretty accurately. I had them no more then fist width apart.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There's a guy on XDtalk.com that claims to have seen a 40 P99 fire multiple times by itself upon dropping on concrete

I doubt that.....
the P99 is tested for "drop safty" or it would have not ever been allowed for police work in Germany....

·
Registered
821 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (uncut @ Oct. 02 2006,1:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There's a guy on XDtalk.com that claims to have seen a 40 P99 fire multiple times by itself upon dropping on concrete

I doubt that.....
the P99 is tested for "drop safty" or it would have not ever been allowed for police work in Germany....
Exactly the reason I doubt it too!

It would require failure of muliple safeties at the same time for such a thing to happen.

-stunks

·
Registered
821 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The ONLY time I've ever seen or even heard of a problem, was with my walther P99. where I had a AD after slaming the slide. This particular gun had a high round cound and I also had mulitple discharges from a single trigger pull.
Just found this by that same poster on XDtalk.com.  He's serious...  Won't give his alias/name here, though.

-stunks

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
had a high roundcount

ever heard of wear and tear.... for gods sake if you drive 200.000 miles with your car and not service it, it's bound to loose oil..... don't just complain and complain... send it in and have it looked at.........
the original poster had posted the same on glocktalk under a different name than here.... not that it matters... but it bugs me when same people have different names on every board...

·
Registered
821 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've never seen a KB before, but have seen the after effects. I've also witness a gun go off after it was dropped. the particular gun was a walther P99 that not only went off once after it was dropped but twice!
Here's another I found, just for fun.  I seem to find one instance every couple of days, hehe.

-stunks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts