Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a lot of good talk about the P99C AS but can't find one locally to handle or shoot. I'm interested in buying one and can find them out of state online. I do have a HK VP9 SK and was wondering if someone could compare them for me? The VP9 shoots and feels good I just want another Walther. Just looking at it, it looks like I'd love it. Just wondering if anyone has both and what their opinions are? Thanks for any input on the subject.

Jim D

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I see your avatar shows Texas. If you wanna come to the Eagle Gun Range in Farmers Branch, I'll let you shoot mine. Or if you wanna buy me a membership in one of the fancy whiskey and cigar gun clubs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I appreciate that if I ever get that way. I can't afford those fancy clubs myself. My buddy is a rice farmer so I go shoot there for just the cost of fuel. Thanks,

Jim D

BTW, how do you like your P99C AS?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
It's the gun I carry most often. Small, light, not too thick or heavy and with a proper belt and holster, or a pocket holster, it's invisible and you won't even feel it's there.

For shooting it, I do need the pinkie extension. But it's accurate a.f. and super pleasant to shoot.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Heyas Bcd!
I've got both, and I've carried both. Tho my sk got a lot more time in the holster than my 99c.
99c is somewhat smaller and noticibly lighter, with a shorter, narrower grip. Feels pretty good in the hand, tho I didn't find the finger grooves right for my particular fingers. I keep wanting to dremel them, lol. Having the decocker and the da/sa and doubles strike is nice too. Sights are a tad smaller than the sk. Shoots 124gr really nice, tho more flippy than the sk.
No ambi slide lever tho. Trigger is really super smooth, and honestly... Just a small tad heavier in da than the sk. Reset is Hella short! Also more options for mags than the sk.

Why it's not my edc then? For my hands, I'd rather have the full sized grip frame. The c just feels too small in hand. To me.
The trigger. I've been shooting my Vp9 and sk a lot longer, and I'm trigger spoiled by where the trigger breaks there in the middle of the trigger guard, where the P99 breaks allll the way to the rear.
The P99 doesn't have ambi slide levers which I prefer ambi. I shoot right or left handed. I've also gotten used to releasing the slide with my right handed trigger finger on the sk.
Paddle release is longer and slimmer on the P99. They are definitely sturdy, but "feel" flimsy compared to the Hk releases.
Also no grip panels like the Hk has. You definitely feel the difference.
The P99 is a great pistol, and I really like it. But after carrying the vp9s for as long as I have, the smaller grip and the different trigger modes puts the P99 on nightstand duty most of the time.
Get one tho, you will definitely like it, it may replace ur sk as edc, it might not.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DarkeWolf, thank you very much. Very informative for me to make my decision. If I find a really good price on a 9mm 99c I'll probably buy it but I like my SK so much I won't be paying an inflated price. Maybe I'll run across a like new P99C AS 9mm for sale. I'm in no hurry. Thanks again.

Jim D

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Both are pretty much the same gun size and function wise. Personally I like the feel of the Walther and also prefer the larger mag release paddles. It helps that at $339 the Walther is a better value.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
We need somebody who has both to compare the trigger action for you. Better yet, hold off buying until you find one to handle and shoot. FWIIW, the P99c is the only striker-fired pistol I own out of a few dozen comprising my current collection, and perhaps double that number of pistols that I have owned over the years. (Disclaimer, I am a hammer-fired pistol guy.)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GeoNole94, I guess I also am a hammer guy, I have 10 hammer fired Sig's & HK's. What intrigues me is the quality of the triggers that are being put on the striker fired firearms. I don't like Glock's even though many have nice triggers but my PPQ's are like shooting my hammer fired guns when cocked.
For safety reasons I prefer a pistol I carry to have a 7-8# trigger pull on 1st shot. IMO, PPQ's just have too light of a trigger for carry unless it had a manual safety. That's just my opinion. My VP9 SK I guess is kind of in the middle with a 6.75# pull but it breaks clean and the same every time. So that brings me to the P99C AS, a carry pull like my hammer guns and a fun range gun with a light pull. We'll see soon I hope.

Jim D

·
Registered
23 Posts
@BCD45 - You and I are thinking alike on this. My main carry gun is a full-size Beretta PX4. I wanted a G26-size gun that was TDA and not a Glock. The P99C fills that role perfectly. The DA is not as nice as on a Beretta or SIG, but it's still pretty good and smooths up with use. I think you'd be happy with it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Like Guinness, the P99 AS trigger system is an acquired taste. You might not like it when you first try it - I didn't.

The DA is on the heavy side at 40 Newton (circa 9 pounds), although quite smooth, and the trigger, as has already been stated, breaks very far back. This can be quite off-putting if you're not used to it.

The SA, on the other hand, is, at 20 Newton/4.5 pounds, even lighter than the PPQ (which is 25 Newton/5.6 pounds). The reset is extremely short.

The Heckler & Koch certainly has the advantage when it comes to adjusting the grip to fit your hand. Note that while the full-size P99 comes with 3 backstraps (S, M and L), the P99c has only two (S and L).

Dryfire practise with the VP9 involves continually re-racking the slide, whereas with the P99/P99c, due to the re-strike capability, you can stay in DA and not take your aim off the target.

I think you would be well-advised to shoot the P99c before deciding to buy one. A BM has very kindly offered to let you shoot his, so I would take advantage of his offer if I were you, or otherwise look for an opportunity to try one in live-fire.

I don't possess a VP9 (called SFP9 where I live), but I have compared it back-to-back with a full-size P99 during a rental session. I preferred the P99 and shot MUCH more accurately with it.

Balor

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.