Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I missed out on the great deal on the 9mm so I am considering the 40s&w. But I am concerned about the recoil on such a small grip. Can someone give me any feedback from their experience? Thanks. Also, is this gun small enough for pocket carry?

·
Registered
160 Posts
The P99C is just barely doable for pocket carry. Fits fine in a Sticky MD-4 I think. I had one then sold it and now carry the PPQ SC. Its the same size but some pockets work better than others.

IF you want a true pocket carry, I would go with the PPS.

Recoil was stout but certainly manageable. For a true concealed carry, the recoil is fine. As a range pistol you might get tired after 50 rounds.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a ppq m1 and with the p99c 9mm they could share mags. That was a big plus for me. I love my m1. Do they make other compacts or subcompacts that can use m1 mags. Being able to have a compact that could also be full size by sharing mags I already have was the goal.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Recoil is fine. Shot one last weekend and it was a non-issue.

But too big for pocket carry. Far too big actually, and you'd want a holster too to protect against an AD/ND.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Recoil is fine. Shot one last weekend and it was a non-issue.

But too big for pocket carry. Far too big actually, and you'd want a holster too to protect against an AD/ND.
I would imagine that the PPS and CCP would be too large for pocket carry as well.

The only thing I can think of in the Walther line up would be the PPK.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But would most on here agree that the p99c AS 9mm is a good and well proven carry gun? Maybe not pocket carry, but easy concealed carry?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
But would most on here agree that the p99c AS 9mm is a good and well proven carry gun? Maybe not pocket carry, but easy concealed carry?
It is great for me. I've been carrying mine for over four years. I have a PPS M2 too and it only gets very limited carry time compared to my P99c which is my workhorse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The P99C .40 isn’t a gun I’d want to spend all day at the range with, but the recoil is not overwhelming and the little beast is certainly controllable, especially with the pinky extension. A sweet gun, good when you want that .40 caliber bark. It’s in my concealed carry rotation, along with the PPS M2.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will stick with my Walther PPQA.
This pistol has only a 4.5# trigger.
That is wonderful for quick action service.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm gonna dispute the posts saying the P99c is too big for pocket carry. Sure, it's a little large, and admittedly, I may be a bit biased, being a long-time pocket-carrier, but I haven't found it uncomfortably large or heavy. But, I often wear relatively baggy cargo shorts or jeans, not tighter fitting work slacks or khakis, which obviously makes a difference.
As to the OP's question, while the .40 round isn't a mammoth round, me and many others find it unpleasant to shoot in a smaller-lighter pistol. And IMO, the ballistic superiority of the .40 over the 9mm, isn't worth the increase in cost and recoil.
Top quality 9mm rounds ( HST, Gold Dot, Hornady, etc.etc) are more than capable these days, and blasting grade FMJ's are cheap as dirt right now.
Another plus for the 9mm version over the .40 is that it's significantly easier to trade or sell, something I've long since learned is wise to factor in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
P99c AS 40 cal

This is my carry pistol I have carried it for 5 years now. Love it I shoot just as well with this as I do with my 9mm. I also own P99 AS 40 cal, most people who shoot mine find it hard to believe it is a 40 cal. So buy it you will love it.:)

Reactions: muckaleewarrior71

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd say it's a bit big for pocket carry. As for recoil, it is more than 9 but not unbearable. I'd have to say if you shot range ammo, you could be fine. It's not that bad. Plus, you could buy a conversion barrel and run both.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
J ppks, that is a very intriguing idea. Except for barrel and mag, are the 2 guns identical? Does walther support barrel swaps on that gun? What does a second barrel from walther cost? Has anyone here done it with success? Would you guys be comfortable using as a carry gun after a barrel and mag swap?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts