Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I pulled out the test fire target that came with my P99c 9mm and it has a 25 meter group of less than 2 and 1/4 inches! I am really pleasantly surprised. I was expecting the group to be over 3 inches. In fact the little P99c target is tighter than the one for my P99 .40. I can not wait to go shoot this thing but have to wait until Sunday.

What size grouping did other P99c owners get from the factory test fire target?

Also does anyone know what that factory uses when they do the test firing?

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
My P99c AS in 9mm came with a similar test target.

I competed it with it in an IDPA match last weekend, and on one stage I crossed a berm and dropped a small pepper popper with one shot at about 20 meters no problem. Pretty cool for a sub compact firearm - several guys noticed it as well and asked about it afterwards.

Great piece. Highly recommend it as a supplement/backup to a full-size P99.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Found these last two posts to be interesting as I have a P99 in 9mm and seriously considering purchase of the P99C. Was wondering if there are any variations / differences out there in the realm of compact models like there are for the full size P99, would like to get one with the AS trigger same as my full size, also wondering if there is any difference in quality and accuracy between any of them, for example, are there all German made vs locally made at S&W factory and if there are these diffent manufacture sites, is there any difference in quality?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stevehf48,

I got my P99c for what I feel was a very good price from CDNN. The gun with an extra finger grip mag, a 16 round mag and shipping was under $500.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

I have often heard that the SW99's are not as accurate as the P99’s but who knows. I would think with the level of technology at the S&W factory they should be able to make a good barrel and slide. I know the revolvers I have from S&W are great. All my semi-auto pistols say Walther on them.

Some of my favorite S&W Revolvers

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
As far as I can tell, my P99c is the same level of quality, fit and finish as my full-size P99, only differences being the year of manufacture and the normal differences between the two as my full-size is dated 1999 and the compact 2004.

Not familiar with the S&W compacts, but I do own a S&W full-size SW99 in .45 ACP only because Walther won't make one in that caliber. It's fine, but something about the fit and finish just doesn't do it for me relative to the Walthers. That and the fact that every so often, the slide locks back with 3 rounds left in the magazine. Doesn't matter which magazine or what ammo, it just does it, albeit infrequently. Sent it S&W twice, and both times they replaced the slide stop lever and spring, but it still does it. I have many, many thousands of rounds through my Walther P99 full-size in 9mm and have had 0 problems, so who knows?

Really a great pistol. Couldn't be more happy with it my compact. And CDNN is the place to get them, at least the AS models as I couldn't find them anywhere else.

·
Registered
821 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ylide @ Sep. 08 2005,12:27)]Last night I pulled out the test fire target that came with my P99c 9mm and it has a 25 meter group of less than 2 and 1/4 inches!
Out of curiosity, I pulled out my test target that came with my .40 P99 and measured it.  JUST under 2.5 inches.  Maybe like 2.40 inches, or something.  That IS quite impressive for the little P99c.  I think the difference is probably in the caliber.  The P99 was designed around the 9 x 19 mm cartridge.  I guess it'll never be quite as good with the .40 chambering.  

Nonetheless, a 2.4" group is still nothing to shake one's head at.  There's a site somewhere on the internet that has pictures of magazine articles that show the P99's accuracy compared to other quality firearms.  I can't find it right now, but I would suspect the 9mm P99s do better than the .40s.  At least the bullet is bigger, right?

-stunks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2004 P99 AS and a 2004 P99c AS, both 9 mm. The test target for the P99c is actually a little better than the P99, 2.25" versus 2.5" IIRC. Last time I shot them both side by side there was no difference in real world accuracy. Very impressive.

I started out with Sig 9mm's, but I am so impressed by these Walthers that I got rid of my P226R (traded it for a P220 since Walther doesn't make a .45). I got the P99 when I found out the AS wasn't going to be available anymore and a couple months later got the P99c. I was going to go with CDNN, but my local dealer got one for me at $489, which is close to what the CDNN deal + shipping + FFL fee would have been.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Lefty Sig,
That is incredible how accurate the compact model is. Looked around a little today, but local shops did not have any P99C models in 9mm, only 40 cals, so will keep looking around, may end up having a dealer order one for me through CDNN or Davidson.
$489 sounds like an excellent price, was that in the Northeast by any chance? He have any more?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Indianapolis - Albro Guns.

They didn't stock any but they ordered it from a distributor who had them on clearance. Albro charges a flat rate of 10% over their cost on all new guns. I still spent a little more than CDNN's price of $429 - with shipping and FFL it would have been $464. For the extra $25 I decided to stick with my local store. I also bought my P99 from them in June for $550, which is their every day price.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lefty Sig,

I have never met a Sig owner who switched. I am glad you said you liked the Walther better because I keep eyeing a sig.

Also, I agree that when I can find a gun localy I prefer to do so.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Lefty Sig, thanks for the info and certainly agree with you on dealing through a local shop is always well worth it. Like you, I started out with Sig 9mm also, had a P225 then a 226; few years ago had an opportunity to take a tour of the Sig factory in Exeter, NH.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update,

I was able to go to the range today, and the little pistol functioned perfectly. I only got in 135 rounds before I ran out of time.

With the pinky rest magazine I shoot it very well. But with the flat magazine my groups grew vertically. I am sure a little practice will help that out.

On a very cool note, it was the first time I went to this indoor range and the owner got out his H&K to show me how well made they are and how accurate they are compared to other Polymer pistols. Well, after a few minutes he joined me in the range and put a target at the same distance as mine for. I rolled out a new target to match and I can proudly say to my fellow Walther fans that I out shot him and his full sized H&K with my little P99c! I mentioned afterward that it just has a 3 inch barrel. (I know it’s really 3.5 but I rounded down.) His tune changed and then said “I have always liked Walthers, they fit my hand like a glove.”

Hope to get a few hundred out of it next weekend. Thanks to those who recommended it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just got back from the range with new Meprolight nightsights on my P99C AS, and I was again stunned by the accuracy of the little guy. I brought along my Beretta 92FS Compact Type M, and the groups from them were indistinguishable. 2- to 2.5-inch groups at point-of-aim at 15 yards, rapid fire with hot Winchester Ranger ammo. Simply amazing for so small a pistol. There's a little more muzzle rise than the heavier Beretta, but the grip and magazine with the floorplate extension do a great job enabling me to keep control of the pistol for the next shot. I do have to say that someone on Beretta Forum recommended forcing one's left wrist as downward as possible, with the thumbs-up approach--and that seems to help quite a lot. It's really more a thumbs-forward approach to a two-handed grip that I really like.

Why give up two rounds (single-stack, 8-rounder) and carry around that much extra weight with the Beretta. I don't know. It just 'feels right' in my hands. Well balanced and a somewhat unusual variation of the 92-series. I don't think I'll ever part with it. Right now, it happily shares the CCW duty with my P99C.

ciadst

·
Registered
112 Posts
After reading all the great reports about the compact model, started thinking that maybe it was time to replace my CS9 as the everday small carry pistol and ordered a P99C with the AS trigger configuration in 9mm. Picked it up this afternoon. Squeezed out a quick hour after work today to get to the range and try it out. I have to agree with all the other reports on the P99C, absolutely terrific compact pistol. The test target that came with it showed three of the 5 rounds touching. I ran a few clips of WWB through it and also some Fiocchi range ammo and my experience was close to the test target results. Very comfortable to shoot, much like the full size P99. Just incredibly accurate for a compact pistol, really seemed as accurate as the full size, I wonder how Walther accomplished that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do not own a P99C, but I do have a P99 AS. I can report that the last time I went to the range I shot 100 rounds of white box at 10 meters and the group was under 1 1/2 - 2 inches.

Can not beat that....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts