Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm cross-posting the "background" and "problem" info in both the PPS and P99 forums because I have both platforms, and the same question relates to both, but the answers will be different based on the pistol in question. (Which is why I'm cross-posting.) Please keep your responses to the appropriate discussion. Thanks!

My background
I've been shooting for over 30 years. (Competitive rifle in high school, then the Marine Corps, then bullseye pistol in addition to recreational pistol and rifle.) Once learning the fundamentals as a teen, I've never had a problem with grip, trigger pull, technique, muzzle flip, et cetera. I've also instructed many people in proper technique and watched them progress from novice into very skilled and competent shooters. So please, hold your "learn how to shoot" responses. The problem I have is a physical one that I'm trying to overcome, not one that can be solved by technique.

The problem
Recently I've been having wrist pain, and not just when shooting. Saw an ortho doc and he did x-rays and turns out the cartilage between two of the bones in my wrist is almost gone. At some point it will require surgery. Doc said that particular joint wears out from exercises like pushups. I asked about the effect of shooting high-caliber pistols, and he said, "yeah, that would wear it out too." The pain is severe enough that some of my pistols I simply cannot shoot. The problem isn't the recoil per se, but rather when the slide hits the frame, the impulse of that impact travels through my hand, into my wrist, and then it's bone-on-bone pain, which is, well, highly unpleasant.

MY QUESTION

I own a Gen1 P99AS 40 that I purchased used. No idea how many rounds have been through it, but it has functioned flawlessly with all the ammo I've given it. While it's my preferred carry piece since I shoot it best (carry load is 180gr Hydra-Shoks), it hurts the worst of my collection so I've been carrying my PPS instead. Since Walther uses the same spring in the 40 as the 9 and just puts a heavier slide on, the high mass of the slide ramming into the frame sends a high impulse into my wrist. The result is right now my P99 is, for all intents and purposes, unshootable for me.

I'm looking at different recoil springs, and I've looked through the dozens and dozens of posts, some 10 years old, and I'd like some current recommendations and "I've owned such-and-such for five years now and..." feedback on:
  1. DPM Recoil Reduction System: reliability; break-in; recoil impulse reduction; optimum spring weight
  2. Sprinco Model 19166: reliability; break-in; recoil impulse reduction; red or yellow spring for 180gr 40?
  3. Different carry ammo recommendations

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm cross-posting the "background" and "problem" info in both the PPS and P99 forums because I have both platforms, and the same question relates to both, but the answers will be different based on the pistol in question. (Which is why I'm cross-posting.) Please keep your responses to the appropriate discussion. Thanks!

My background
I've been shooting for over 30 years. (Competitive rifle in high school, then the Marine Corps, then bullseye pistol in addition to recreational pistol and rifle.) Once learning the fundamentals as a teen, I've never had a problem with grip, trigger pull, technique, muzzle flip, et cetera. I've also instructed many people in proper technique and watched them progress from novice into very skilled and competent shooters. So please, hold your "learn how to shoot" responses. The problem I have is a physical one that I'm trying to overcome, not one that can be solved by technique.

The problem
Recently I've been having wrist pain, and not just when shooting. Saw an ortho doc and he did x-rays and turns out the cartilage between two of the bones in my wrist is almost gone. At some point it will require surgery. Doc said that particular joint wears out from exercises like pushups. I asked about the effect of shooting high-caliber pistols, and he said, "yeah, that would wear it out too." The pain is severe enough that some of my pistols I simply cannot shoot. The problem isn't the recoil per se, but rather when the slide hits the frame, the impulse of that impact travels through my hand, into my wrist, and then it's bone-on-bone pain, which is, well, highly unpleasant.

MY QUESTION

I own a Gen1 P99AS 40 that I purchased used. No idea how many rounds have been through it, but it has functioned flawlessly with all the ammo I've given it. While it's my preferred carry piece since I shoot it best (carry load is 180gr Hydra-Shoks), it hurts the worst of my collection so I've been carrying my PPS instead. Since Walther uses the same spring in the 40 as the 9 and just puts a heavier slide on, the high mass of the slide ramming into the frame sends a high impulse into my wrist. The result is right now my P99 is, for all intents and purposes, unshootable for me.

I'm looking at different recoil springs, and I've looked through the dozens and dozens of posts, some 10 years old, and I'd like some current recommendations and "I've owned such-and-such for five years now and..." feedback on:
  1. DPM Recoil Reduction System: reliability; break-in; recoil impulse reduction; optimum spring weight
  2. Sprinco Model 19166: reliability; break-in; recoil impulse reduction; red or yellow spring for 180gr 40?
  3. Different carry ammo recommendations
Welcome from Northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I have over 4.5k rounds run with the DPM system (since Nov of 2021) in my P99 9mm. Has performed flawlessly.

No harsh slide to frame impact at all.

I have one in the PPQ45 too.

Hand Gesture Finger Door Thumb

Publication Font Material property Gadget Eyelash

Grille Office supplies Gas Electronic instrument Bumper

Camera lens Digital camera Camera accessory Reflex camera Camera

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you considered changing over from 40 cal to 9mm? I took my P99AS and bought for it a Jarvis barrel and the swapped out the extractor (free with a call to Walther). Never looked back. The snap of the 40 is gone and is much more fun to shoot now...and cheaper too.

Just as reliable as before.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you considered changing over from 40 cal to 9mm? I took my P99AS and bought for it a Jarvis barrel and the swapped out the extractor (free with a call to Walther). Never looked back. The snap of the 40 is gone and is much more fun to shoot now...and cheaper too.

That is a fantastic idea. Wasn't aware it was even possible. They're backordered, but it's definitely on my list of future upgrades. Beats the heck out of having to find a replacement P99AS. I love the AS trigger, and mine has ambi slide stop and the extended paddle mag release.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I own a Gen1 P99AS 40 that I purchased used.
I love the AS trigger, and mine has ambi slide stop and the extended paddle mag release.
Can you put up a picture of this pistol?

The first P99 to have the ambidextrous slide release levers was the P99TA, which was made to win an agency contract against the H&K P2000 back in 2002, and both pistols had ambidextrous controls. Other than a few TA models in private collections, this pistol was never sold to the public and very few were made in total as the H&K was chosen. I've never seen a commercially available Walther P99 made before 2004 that had these controls. The P99 was updated to the Gen 2 model in 2004, but even then, it came with the short mag release levers, and the long mag release levers were updated one year later.

I'm thinking either you are wrong about the generation of the pistol, or you are wrong about the features on this pistol, but a picture should help. Where did you get this pistol? I ask because even Gen 2 and Gen 3 AS pistols with the ambidextrous slide releases were pretty rare, as they were only available either through Earl, or through Walther in a "defense kit" package.

As to the question itself, I'd suggest buying a 9mm and selling the .40 if you want a 9mm P99. The 9mm slide is lighter which should help if you are shooting lower power ammunition and/or with lower grip strength, which I assume you may be after reading the first post. Also, the 9mm and .40 ejectors are different, and the .40 ejector will not be the optimal shape and will not be in the optimal position to eject 9mm rounds. This doesn't mean that a conversion barrel won't be reliable enough for you, but a 9mm model should be more reliable in a wider range of circumstances than a .40 with a conversion barrel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Can you put up a picture of this pistol?

I'm thinking either you are wrong about the generation of the pistol, or you are wrong about the features on this pistol, but a picture should help. Where did you get this pistol?
You’re probably right that I have the generation wrong.

Picked it up on GunBroker about 10 years ago. I had a Gen1 P990 40 that I picked up in 1999 or 2000, and after years of shooting bullseye having a DAO for carry when I put most of my rounds downrange with SA didn’t make any sense. So the P990 is a safe queen, largely retired, and the P99AS became the primary CCW piece.

Then I added a PPS to the collection for summer carry.

As to the question itself, I'd suggest buying a 9mm and selling the .40 if you want a 9mm P99.

This doesn't mean that a conversion barrel won't be reliable enough for you, but a 9mm model should be more reliable in a wider range of circumstances than a .40 with a conversion barrel.
Since it’d be my primary CCW, reliability is a must.

I’m stubborn, I guess. I don’t want to admit that my body isn’t able to do what I want it to anymore, whether it’s P99 in 40, or Buffalo wings in hot sauce after 8pm. Guess that’s why I’m trying to hold on to the 40.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
So the P990 is a safe queen, largely retired, and the P99AS became the primary CCW piece.
If you still have the P990, take the striker assembly out of the slide and look at the color of the spring. Some of the DAO P99 pistols came from the factory with a reduced power striker spring, which lightens the DA pull of the pistol. This spring can be swapped onto the striker assembly of a P99 AS, giving you the same results. It should be red in color. If it is silver, then it is the standard striker spring, and leave it alone. My P99 with a reduced power striker spring fired over 14k rounds without an issue.

Your pictures show a Gen 3 P99, made in 2010. Being that it was imported by S&W, and the fact that it has night sights, which all of the defense kit pistols had, I'm going to assume that this is the defense kit package that was offered off and on years ago. The are pretty rare. Personally, I'd do what I could to keep it and buy another 9mm P99, being a left handed shooter myself, but if you do decide to sell it, it should fetch a premium.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have over 4.5k rounds run with the DPM system (since Nov of 2021) in my P99 9mm. Has performed flawlessly.

No harsh slide to frame impact at all.

I have one in the PPQ45 too.
Sounds like they worked out the kinks from early on.

I'm thinking maybe get the DPM for the P99AS 40 for now, then sell the P990 40 safe queen and replace with a P99 in 9mm.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What really is the difference between a Walther P99 and the S&W99, in .40 cal?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts