Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gentlemen,
I am interested in gettin my self some new plastic.:) I am in love with the way the p99 looks and feels in hand. (Never shot one). I am also hearing allot about the xd tactical. Both guns feel great. I am planning on using one of these firearms for a home defense weapons system. IE in house with an attached ligh/laser system.

If any one has fired both of these firearms or has insight on both, feel free to give me your advice!

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, I haven't shot the tactical version, but I do own the service model XD in .40..............as well as the P99 in .40. I will say that both are fine pistols, but I believe the P99 is a bit more accurate. The grip is MUCH more comfortable on the Walther, and you have the only striker fired pistol with a double strike capability. With the Walther's combination of features and quality of materials and manufacture I think the P99 is one of the best polymer pistols on the market.

You can get lots of rail mounted accessories as well. However, I've always thought that the best home defense weapon was a 12 gauge shotgun with some 00 buck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't have the specific models you mention, but I have a P99 in  9mm and an XD subcompact in 9mm. I like both of these pistols, but would have to give the edge to the P99. The best thing (to me) about the XD is the trigger - it's really smooth. I like the decocker on the P99. The finish on the P99 is better. There's a lot of complaints about XD's rusting easily. I had my slide hard chromed to take away that problem. Both are accurate, easy to break down for cleaning, and reliable. The XD was quite a bit cheaper.

I'd be happy to own either of these if I was forced to choose only one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i no someone in the same situation exactly. Comparing the .40 cals and he is leaning more towards the XD because it is cheapier and he has had problems with walther's customer service. The XD tactical is larger than the P99 and there is no bi tone tactical model, making as has been said, rust easily wher as a P99 won't. Both brands have quite impressive backgrounds and produce top quality pistols. The XD COMES with 2 standard capacity mags (12 rounds in .40) maybe you should check out the 4 inch sevice pistol instead of the tactical? If it is gonna be rugged and $ is an issue than i would say the XD because they have a better warenty service. if you want classy and comfort with more $ then P99 is might be what you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gentlemen for your input.
I see by the middle of 2005 I shall probably own both!!
I already own a Glock 23 C and a CZ-100 in .40. I pretty much swear by .40! I have read that the XD has problems with its finish and that it rusts... I guess when I get it I have to treat it like my M-2!! Consistently oiled. As for the 99, it feels beautiful in my hand, as does the XD. I will end up owning both.:)

Thanks again Gentlemen! By the way, any one knows of and good companies that chrome pistols? (Dirty Vicar) If so let me know, I bet a Chrome on Black XD Tactical would look wicked!
Heck, it reminds me of all the Iraqis running around over in Baghdad with totally chromed out AK-47's with Marble inlays in the hand guard and pistol grip.. Very Heavy:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I own the P99 and have shot the XDT. I find the P99 to be more accurate and relaible, though they're both excellent. The XD is also cheaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts