Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched old posts, and there's a lot of good info, but I still can't tell: Is the P990 trigger set up just like the DA pull on a P99AS?

I have a P99C AS in 9mm, and after 4000+ rounds, I'd trust my life to it. However, I'm looking for a quality, inexpensive replacement in .40 so I can leave my current (trusted) 9mm with my wife when I travel, and the p990's at CDNN fit the bill. Since I carry in DA, I intentionally spend a lot of time at the range doing double-taps starting decocked in DA mode, transitioning to SA second shot, so I don't mind that a bit. What I want to figure out is if the 990 trigger is going to feel about like my current P99c in DA mode, or if it's like one of the crappy DA's.

I guess that what I'm trying to make sure of is that the trigger is at least as "good" (in the loosest sense of the word) as the other average DA's out there like a Taurus PT140 or S&W M&P, both of which I can tolerate.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
The P990 is like the P99 DAO trigger - so yes, I guess one could say that essentially, it is like every shot is in DA - but, I think the poundage is a tiny bit different on the P990/P99DAO compared to that 1st shot on the A/S.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Being an owner of a P990 and only having dry-fired a P99 A/S, I didn't feel much difference between the two. It felt like home on the P990.

A lot of people seem to not think too highly of the P990...I really enjoy mine! It will be a permanent part of my collection!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input on the trigger, maestro - I'm gonna go ahead and order one today. I love my AS trigger, but for the price difference (double for a new AS with night sights), I'll learn to love the DAO :D

Shipwreck - yep, $339 INCLUDING night sights. I'll let you guys know how it works out, but for less than a used glock 23, I'm going for it. Besides, I trust a glock in a holster, but fumbling around on the nightstand in the dark, I'd rather have a DAO or DA/SA.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Thanks for the input on the trigger, maestro - I'm gonna go ahead and order one today. I love my AS trigger, but for the price difference (double for a new AS with night sights), I'll learn to love the DAO :D

Shipwreck - yep, $339 INCLUDING night sights. I'll let you guys know how it works out, but for less than a used glock 23, I'm going for it. Besides, I trust a glock in a holster, but fumbling around on the nightstand in the dark, I'd rather have a DAO or DA/SA.
Well, I know that A/S trigger so well - I know the breaking point of the trigger.

But, now that I have a Five Seven, I replaced my nightstand gun with that. The 197 rounds are less likely to penetrate a bunch of interior walls. And that trigger is SAO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
P990 first night out review:

Well, I got the P990 (.40 S&W) in. It looks good. No excessive wear, although the previous owner (LE trade-in) didn't believe in lubrication or excessive cleanliness :rolleyes:

I cleaned it, lubed it, and took it to the range last night, and put 150 rounds through it. 100 Blazer Brass, and 50 Ranger SXT 165 grain. The Ranger was a phenomenal deal... it's the Homeland Security over-stock that's been showing up at gun shows for $15 for a box of 50. It comes in a plain, white Winnie box with the Ranger codes stamped. Nice stuff.

The gun functioned flawlessly, with one exception because I didn't put the spring back in one magazine in right, and the follower slipped to the side of the spring.

The trigger is just like my well-broken-in AS trigger in DA mode. The reset is similar to dry-firing the AS in DA mode. I didn't do any really slow, careful aiming... just intermediate speed both-eyes-open single shots and double taps. The effect of the DA trigger on accuracy was enough to make it tough to hit the 10 ring at 10 and 15 yards. But most shots stayed in eight inches, and that's enough for me. It's definitely the trigger, the couple of shots I really took my time with were dead on.

At 7 yards, the gun was perfect. Most shots, even double taps, stayed in six inches. For first time out, I'm quite pleased. I REALLY like the gun. It feels great, feeds great, and the recoil is only marginally more than my P99C in 9mm with +P+ in it.

Actually, I like the old-style frame and slide better! The slide is sexier and smoother. I don't like the shorter mag release as much, though.

I'll add a couple of pic's later.

The night sights aren't as bright as my new mep's, but they are certainly functional.

Overall, for the price, it's a wonderful gun. With night sights included, you get a P990 for the price of a Sigma or a Taurus Mil-Pro. I can tell you which I'd prefer ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

I'm from germany and a new member here in the nice forum - hello @all ;-)

Amongst other manufacturers I own a lot of different Walther models and one of them is a P990. Maybe some of you are interested in seeing pics. Here is what I've bought a couple of weeks ago -> a brandnew P990:

#1:

#2:

regards,
inspiron

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
welcome to the Forum... that is a nice looking P99
where abouts in Germany are you from ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi uncut!

I'm living close to Wiesbaden, this is the capital of the ferderal state Hessen. I guess Wiesbaden is not well known in the US, so let's better say I'm about 25 miles away from Frankfurt.

regards,
inspiron

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Thanks inspiron,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the pictures.

I notice on your P990 that it is not stamped "Made in Germany" on the right side forward of the take down latch, but they still put the "Warning: Read Safety Manual. Quite a nice pistol!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi 153,

the P990 is stamped "made in germany", but it's not too good to see on the photo.

Here is another one:

And the opposite side:

And for my introduction to this forum, here is my current Walther collection:

This includes various models of pre- and post war P1/P38, PPK, PPK-L, PP, PP Lic. Manurhin, P5 and the P990. And, of course, I'm going on the get more models ;-)

regards,
inspiron

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
inspiron,

Thanks for the additional photos!

You have a really impressive collection!!!

Prehaps you could tell us a bit about gun buying in Germany and what kind of laws you have there. Do you have waiting periods before picking up your new pistols, limits on the number of firearms you can own, and so forth. What kind of shooting facilities are near you?

Again, Welcome!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sure, but be warned, my abilities in explainig something in english language are pretty limited ;-)

First of all, we've very restrictive weapon laws here. Our government seems to take fright at legal weapons owner more than at criminals. That's the reason why they periodicly tighten the law. That's attacking the legal owners only as the others don't care about those laws anyway. No hope that they'll ever learn this. Regarding the weapon laws, it must be a paradise in your country.

However, they basically differ three types of guns.

1) Free available guns, for example air pressure, CO2, blank firing guns. You may buy them without a license if you are 18 years or older. They all have a maximum energy of 7,5 joule.

2) Gernerally forbidden guns like machine guns or other war specific guns.

3) Sporting, hunting and collector guns.

To get weapons of type 3 you need specific licenses, according to the usage (sport, hunting collecting). All licenses, however, assume the successful passing of a so called "Waffensachkunde Pr?fung", which means a gun expertise exam. This takes a few weeks of learning and the passing of a state approved test. This one is the easiest of all these obstacles. You also have to prove that you are not previously convicted, but this is ok, I would say.
In addition, you must prove a necessity. More often than not, this turns out to be very complicated and many of the gun interested people are giving up at this stage.

a) For sporting guns:
You need to be in a shooting club and you need to have a continuous trainig for at least one year. Once done this, you can make a friendly application at your local weapon department, hoping that they grant you weapon owner license. If you got one, you may buy two guns. All three years or so, they re-check if you're still shooting in the club. If not, good bye license ...

b) For hunters:
This is the most complicated type of license. I'm not a hunter, so sorry for not being able to tell you about the milllions of premises they must have ...

c) for gun collectors (like me ;-)
Aside from passing the gun expertise exam, you need to have a good knowledge about your collection topic. This means reading, reading and again reading. If you feel good and strong enough, you seek for a smart state approved weapon expert, who is able to support you and helping you in writing an expertise. With the exam and the expertise, you can now begging your local weapon department on knees for a collectors license. The decision of the permission may sometimes take more than a year. Believe me, if you got this, you're the happiest man in the world! This license made me about $2'000 worse off (over 1'500 Euro).

But not enough, if you finally got one of the licenses mentioned above, you need very specific and expensive safes for storing the guns and each gun must be reported and registred in your license - with cost of course.

All in all, you must be crazy to choose this hobby if you're a german - Obviously I am crazy :p

Hope some of you may now understand why most of the german gun owners sadly look in your direction ...

regards,
inspiron

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
inspiron,

Don't worry your English is excellent, much better than what remains of my high school German.

We are very fortunate in the US that our founder's put the Second Amendment into the Constitution, without that we would be looking at the same restrictions as you - or prehaps worse!!!

Most of the US is very fortunate, and the laws are very liberal. Some States like California, are moving in your direction. I only hope that we can muster the strength to reverse it.

Congratulations on overcoming the barriers put in the way of assembling such a nice collection!!!

Thanks, for the first hand rundown of the German laws.

Hope your collecting remains sucessful!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts