Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the idea of the continuous trigger pull. What I have found is that the P990 and the P99 QA both have the continuous trigger pull. But the P990 has a larger decock button but longer trigger pull, and the P99 QA has a small decock button but a short trigger pull.

I currently have a Glock 30 and I really like its trigger pull, the same from first shot to last. From what I understand both the P990 and the P99 QA feature this kind of trigger pull. However, I really want a P99 that is closest in trigger pull to the Glock (and I plan on getting the 9mm in OD Green).

Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'd get the QA model. The P990 is more like shooting a revolver. The QA has proven to be more accurate also. And the QA will match the Glock's trigger a little more closely also.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I second that- In the Walther P99 line, the QA is the closest you're going to get to the action of a Glock. -However, you should know that the trigger pull is heavier than the Glock's- 7 /12 lbs. vs 5 1/2 lbs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Since you have a Glock, I would imagine that you will enjoy the QA more than the 990 in the long run. The trigger pull of QA will become lighter over time, mine has over 9K rounds, it feels lighter than the listed 7.5 lbs for sure plus I'm so used to it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The P99QA is far closer to a Glock than the 990 would be. I've handled both a 99QA (mine) and a friend's Glock (friend's). Triggers were similar.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But the P990 has a larger decock button but longer trigger pull
Adam, the P990 does not have a decock button. As everyone has pretty much chimed in here, the P99QA is the closest to a "Glock-like" trigger pull, but in my opinion, it is much nicer since it is a crisper break and not as "mushy" as the Glocks that I have owned (19 and 23).

The P990 has a longer DA pull all of the time, and samples vary I'm sure, but my P990 has a very nice, though heavier than P99QA trigger pull.

Incidentally, you will have a much easier time finding a P99QA over a P990, as they are apparently not imported nor stocked by any major distributers in the USA. You can find P990s that pop up occasionally on Gunsamerica and GunBroker, but they are difficult to find.

Now when the 2004 P99s hit the stores, there is a new DAO variant that has all of the characteristics of the previous P990.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I am going with the QA. But now for another questions. What is the deal where it says the QA is partially cocked? Isn't that like being partially pregnant? You are either pregnant or not, you are either cocked or not, correct?

Again, thanks for all your help,
Adam

·
Registered
124 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (adamb29 @ Mar. 19 2004,12:04)]Thanks for the input. I am going with the QA. But now for another questions. What is the deal where it says the QA is partially cocked? Isn't that like being partially pregnant? You are either pregnant or not, you are either cocked or not, correct?

Again, thanks for all your help,
Adam
No, a gun can be partially cocked.  For example, some guns can be at half-cock.  The Glocks and Walther P99 QA's employ an action where the striker is partially cocked when you rack the slide.  The trigger pull brings the gun to full cock and releases the striker.  Aside from your finger on the trigger, there is no mechanism to hold the striker at full cock.

Don't worry they are safe, very safe.  If a partially cocked striker suddenly traveled forward, it does not have enough force to ignite the primer charge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oops! my previous rant was on partially cocked. I just looked over the website and it says pre cocked. However, isn't pre cocked just the same as not cocked (pre cocked would come before cocked)? Anyway, just wondering what is meant by this term.
Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, as I do more research I have found that the P99 QA is only available in black. Is this correct? I think the OD Green looks so much better, but I do not want a 2004 model. So, do any of you know if the P99 QA can be had in Green?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have 2 P99 QA Military's (.40cal) that I had to have specially made. I had 4 made and I kept 2 of them, the other 2 went to friends that ordered with me. To my knowledge these 4 are the only ones in existance. There may be some in Europe somewhere, because they did show pictures of them in previous catalogs, but they were never imported into the States.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, there was a gun show today here in Nashville, TN and I purchased my P99. When I got there and compared the green and the black, I was torn. But the guy had the black for $50 less so... I now have a Black 9mm! In addition to this, I ended up getting the standard P99 and not the QA. Hopefully the standard will do the job. I think it will. Besides, this was a 2nd pistol for me as my current carry is a Glock 30 .45cal.
Thanks again for all your help,
Adam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts