Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing more on the P990 lately in advertisements from Walther America and a recent article from Masaad Ayoob in On Target magazine. I wonder if the 990 is gaining in popularity or if its just a push to get rid of inventory?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe the P990 "never left" so a "comeback" is not required, unlike Mike Vick of the Atlanta Falcons.

It has the same basic,simple type trigger action so favored by officials at law enforcement organizations and other organizations who have to train beginners in shooting technique. Note that H&K brought out their LEM trigger and the new (overpriced?) H&K 2000 has an simple pull trigger too. Sig makes the DAO SigPro line which happens to also be a polymer frame pistol.
It takes away the "advantage" of the Glock trigger, when selling the competiing product to organizations. Smith and Wesson and Beretta have long been making DAO pistols for governmental and other organizational sales. Remember Smith and Wesson still makes the patent infringing (and in my opinion, inferior) Sigma line of polymer pistols. I must hand it to Glock for setting a standard to meet or beat.

Note to self: Walther flat beats the Glock in everyway I can think of except for the unique accessory rail and the availability of .45ACP and 10MM calibers, and compac versions. The S&W versions solve the rail question and the .45ACP issue and has the compac versions.

I attach a vision of the future.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
General Sherman,

The reason why I asked is because the P990 disappeared from the Walther catalog for a while and rumor was that they were not importing any more because of low sales. Now I'm starting to see more around. Thus my question as to if it was somehow becoming popular.

In the future, instead of the compact, I wish they'd come out with a .45 P99 or revitalize their "Big Bore" project.

Ni3Frontier,

The rounded trigger guard is nothing more than to supposedly "appeal" to the American customer. Like the SW99 is more "rounded" than the P99. Personally I like the squared look of the P99. I wish they'd do that with the compact. However it looks like all they are doing is using the SW99 compact mold and swapping the S&W logo for the Walther logo. And making the slide "squared" like the P99.

·
Registered
162 Posts
N13Frontier I remember seeing the above photo before. Think it is a mock up of a future compact. They used a S&W frame since the Walther frame is not yet available. My guess is the final product wilo more resemble the standard P99.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The P990 is not listed in RSRs catalog. It is not listed in Davidson's catalog. So I don't know how you are supposed to get one, unless it is straight from Walther, which is usually not an option. Walther American only sells through distributors.

Earl's no longer has any P990s either.

I don't know how they can be making a comeback, if you cannot order them from distributors. I also saw the On Target issue with Massad Ayoob's article and the Walther USA ad. It looks like it is an old article and old ad.

If anyone finds a distributor that the P990 can be ordered from, please let me know.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
263 Posts
The comment about the pic having a SW99 frame with the Walther logo on it piqued my interest. If a P99 slide can be fitted on a SW99 frame, can the reverse be done? What i'm really thinking about is...can the SW99 .45 slide and barrel be made to fit a P99 frame? If this is so, then the .45 which is unavailable to P99 owners might become a possibility,even though it would be an incestuous blend.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The frame for the SW99 in .45 is different and probably wouldn't accept any 9mm or .40 slides from either the SW99 or the P99.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could swap 9mm and .40 slides and barrels back and forth from SW99 to P99. Maybe I'll have to try it at the local gun store who has both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts