Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been all set to buy the Walter p99 next week. It is a sweet looking gun... I rented one at a range yesterday to try out. I was excited about it and hoped I would like it. But, I was very disappointed in the gun.

Overall, it was pretty accurate. I will admit that. I had read about the trigger and was prepared for it, but I just didn't care for it. There was also more muzzle flip than I cared for.

I actually rented 3 guns. The Walter p99 (actually the Smith and Wesson version, but pretty much the same gun), a Glock 34 and a Beretta 92.

-------------------
As for the Glock 34. I liked the OD color of the frames. And, this thing has a nice long barrel and some extra features that make it a bit of a target gun. I liked the sights, and I also liked the longer magazine release (It's longer than the standard Glocks). Shot it decently. But, more muzzle flip than I preferred. Not as much muzzle flip as the P99, but still more than I wanted. I guess this is inherent to the plastic frame guns, I don't know... I have shot a Glock 19 before, but it has been a long time...

(This pic is a G17, but I was gonna get 1 the same color and put the Hogue sleeve on it)

------------------
And, stupid me - my Beretta 92FS is at Beretta getting refinished, and I won't get it back for 2 more weeks. But, since I was at the range and had the other 2 guns rented, I wanted to shoot another Beretta at the same time. I rented a stainless Inox 92 with rubber grips. I love this gun. It's been so long since I shot my 92FS that I had forgotten. The standard stainless Beretta has orange dots on the sights, and it was a bit hard to see them in an indoor range, but it still shot great. And, my regular black Beretta has bright white dots.

Here is a pic of what I shot...

-------------------
So, I've decided to get a Beretta. I'm going to get a stainless model, only I am going to get one with Night sights, so I don't have to deal with those little orange dots that are the standard sights on the stainless model...

While I didn't shoot the Vertec 92 model (they didn't have 1 to rent), I think I am gonna get the Vertec 92. The grip is a little thinner, and it has a rail to mount lasers or flashlights. Plus, the front site isn't built into the frame like the regular 92 is...

So, I'm gonna get me one of these with night sites...

·
Registered
88 Posts
ah... i hear alot of bad things bout beretta. i think they look cool and have the nicest feel with a overmold on the grip. but id never get one
personally when i have to rely on a weapon of choice. ill take a double stack 1911 any day

·
Registered
471 Posts
Try a Sig P226 before you spend your bucks. You might be very suprised...

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had a black Beretta 92FS for years, and have never had a problem with it. Out of all the guns I have had in the past, it is my fav 9mm. So, I do have experience with them. I think I got mine in 1998.

I just wanted to get something a little different instead of the same gun I already have, but I didnt care for the other 2 possible choices I was thinking about, after I shot them. I'm gonna get a stainless Vertec so it will at least be a littl;e different from my black 92FS. Plus, I want a gun with the picany rails on it.

As for hearing bad things, I guess it all depends on who you talk to. Obviously, on the Beretta forum, everyone loves them. On the Glock forum, everyone loves Glocks, and some people hate Berettas. The Walther P99 is held in fairly decent regard there, though.

Anyway, that's why they make all the different brands of guns. Everyone has their personal fan. Me, I've never been interested by Sigs.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Isn’t it nice that we have such wonderful choices at hand? There are several brands that I would love to own, but just can’t afford them all… Dang it!

Enjoy your Beretta!  

·
Registered
310 Posts
Beretta was on my "short list" of weapons to buy next. I was looking at the 92G-SD -- the decocker only version with the rail. I don't (personally) like the Vertec-style grip -- too slim for me. I like the Inox finish, but they don't make a 92G in Inox (only two-tone, which I can't stand). But the 92G comes with an $800 price tag -- and for that price I was able to buy the P99 and a Steyr M9. So the Beretta will go to my list for somewhere down the road...when I strike it rich or CDNN gets some 92G trade-ins again!

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a reply all typed out a couple of hours ago but then the site stopped repsonding...

I like the 92G as well. But, I want an Inox model, since I already have a Bruniton finished 92. Plus, the price is a bit higher than I'd like to spend....

I'm almost tempted to get a S&W 1911, but that too is another hundred or more dollars, and it has no rails on the frame...

·
Registered
310 Posts
My ideal Beretta would be a 92G Inox -- decocker-only, Brigadier slide, Hogue finger-grooves, accessory rail, standard grip (not the reduced Vetec). I can get some but not all -- at least not without buying different parts and assembling my own gun!

I thought about a 1911 also -- but I decided I liked staying with 9mm. It gets expensive in a hurry to shoot .45 ACP (unless you reload -- which has expenses of its own!) In the end, I opted for the Walther (next week), a Steyr M9 and probably a CDNN Ruger P93 trade-in for my wife.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think my ideal Beretta is the same as yours :p

As for the 1911, I have one and love it. It is comped, however, and it is loud as hell. If you shot it indoors w/o hearing protection, I think you'd suffer some permanent hearing loss. I used to be on the 1911 bandwagon. But, I sold 1 years ago to buy a telescope, and now I just have the comped Springfield. I thought I wanted a Kimber. But by the time I get the one I want, I'd be looking at $800-$900 easy. And, sometimes out the box reliability can be spotty on 1911s w/o a lot of work. I was fortunate with the ones I had/have, but that may not always be the case.

And, to get one with the rails, like the Springfield operator, it would be outta my range

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I almost got a Browning HP years ago. But I prefer the 1911 design for single action guns. I ended up passing. If I was gonna buy one now, I'd probably just get another 1911 I think... You can get 1 on 9mm if you don't wanna go with a .45

As for the Browning Pro 9, I can't say that I know anything about it. I think for the price, there are many other guns I would prefer...

·
Registered
31 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JDog @ Feb. 28 2005,11:41)]what do you guys think about brownings pistols? Pro 9?
The Pro 9 looks a bit like a p99 clone to me. I'd kill for a Five seveN though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts