Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all just saw p99 with smith &wesson on it was able to talk down from 500 to 350 thinkin of wantin it any info would help thanks all

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Walther Germany made the grips and all internals, S and W made the barrels and slides on the US. Available in 9mm, .40 S&W and also in .45.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Good evening all just saw p99 with smith &wesson on it was able to talk down from 500 to 350 thinkin of wantin it any info would help thanks all

Is it a P99, or an SW99? The one is Walther, through and through, the SW99 has a Walther frame, but S&W did the slide and barrel. Mags are still the MecGar units and will interchange, with regards to caliber.

Interesting to note, as Kar mentions below, the SW99 was also available in .45, a caliber which Walther has thus far only offered in the PPQ, and that's only fairly recently. The newest SW99 at this point is well over a decade old, now...

Walther Germany made the grips and all internals, S and W made the barrels and slides on the US. Available in 9mm, .40 S&W and also in .45.
This. :)

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Wow, you are one confused puppy. The PPX/Creed is yet another gun unrelated to either the P99 or SW99.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
The PPX is an entry level gun, while not any less reliable, it's also not the same quality as the P99/SW99, or even the PPQ and PPS lines.

You can't go wrong with the P99/SW99, if that's what you're asking. Also, that's a good price, assuming the gun hasn't had the holy hell shot out of it, and it works reliably.

I think you misunderstand where Kar and I were coming from....it wasn't criticism. :)

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Oh hell yeah, I'd totally jump on a local SW99 in either 9mm or 45 for $350. If I hadn't exceeded my gun buying budget for this year like four guns ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kar 98 thanks for the info on p99. I have a ppx and it is a wonderful pistol. Was lookin for another and came across p99 s/w. I will muck around p99 forum for more info

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
If you can post a photo of your pistol.

It will end all doubt about what it is, as I for one am still confused as to what you actually have.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As a former LEO and Bodyguard, I have carried everything,Glocks,Sigs,Berettas,revolvers etc(and still have multiples of each in my collection) but the one that I now pick to carry is a Walther P99 Military 9mm. Simply the best I have found.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Essentially, the p99's were way ahead of their time. Two other companies, Smith n Wesson, and Magnum Research (read desert eagle!) bought in, and had rights to use the Walther system in a product line of their own, rather than try to develop their own decocker da/sa strikers.
They're considered to be clones.
I'd say the original asking prices was definitely too high tho, if it's used. Tho it would also depend on condition.
If you are interested, there is a guy selling new mr9 in 4 and 4.5 models, for what u were looking at, at the sw99 used on gunbroker.
Some of these other guys would have validate it, but I believe they've said on here that the mr9 is slightly better than the sw99 in quality and accuracy.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Indeed, both the SW and MR grips and internals are/were made by Walther in Germany, and the slide and barrel in the US. There are some minor differences (trigger guard shape, length of mag paddles, design of serrations and such) between the Walther P99 and the SW 99 and MR 9. I haven't gotten to play with a SW 99 yet, but it is absolutely not just my imagination that the MR 9 somehow manages to be both smoother and more accurate than the P99. Also, hey! Stainless slide! Well satin stainless.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Essentially, the p99's were way ahead of their time. Two other companies, Smith n Wesson, and Magnum Research (read desert eagle!) bought in, and had rights to use the Walther system in a product line of their own, rather than try to develop their own decocker da/sa strikers.
The Desert Eagle has nothing to do with anything related to the P99/SW99/MR9-40 pistols...

They're considered to be clones.

I'd say the original asking prices was definitely too high tho, if it's used. Tho it would also depend on condition.

#1, they are NOT clones, neither the SW99 OR the MR line. They're licensed from Walther, and indeed, both the SW and the MR guns used Walther-made frames. If you want to talk about a mere clone, let's talk about the Canik TP series..THOSE are clones, and fairly damned good ones, at that..

What's too high? The original "asking" price? Used? In the op, there's a price listed, and that's a VERY good price for a used P99. Unless of course, as I stated earlier, it's a beaten up hunk of crap.

If you are interested, there is a guy selling new mr9 in 4 and 4.5 models, for what u were looking at, at the sw99 used on gunbroker.
Some of these other guys would have validate it, but I believe they've said on here that the mr9 is slightly better than the sw99 in quality and accuracy.
The MR9-40 uses, I believe, a chromoly barrel. They may be slightly more accurate, but unless you're a competition level shooter, you won't see much, if any difference.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I mentioned the Desert Eagle because it's synonymous with Magnum Research, the company who was manufacturing them at the time of the production of the MR9. It's name recognition to help the OP know who the company is.

Ok, "variant". There, happy now?

In the OP it's Not stated if the pistol is new or used. MY statement was that if it was used, 500 is too high. You can buy them brand new for that right now. Now, this is not me making an excuse...YES I DID FORGET that SW was the distributor, and I was going under the assumption that it was a SW99. Hence the whole reason why I brought up the SW99 and MR9 in the first place. Which is ALSO why I menioned that the MR9's are going for around that lowered 350 price, New, on GB.

I'm pretty sure that it was IAOF that was making the statement about the MR's being better. I'm not gonna hunt thru all of his posts tho to confirm it. Or you can argue it with Kar, who posted right above my quote that you posted of my comment, since he seems to think so too. Since I said that "I believe they've said around here".

·
Registered
689 Posts

When the Walther P99 is in stock $350 for a used P99 or SW99 is a tad high. The Walther's were selling for $339.
That being said, they aren't available right now so if it's in good condition $350 is reasonable.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When the Walther P99 is in stock $350 for a used P99 or SW99 is a tad high. The Walther's were selling for $339.
That being said, they aren't available right now so if it's in good condition $350 is reasonable.
I really wish the seller that had them for $339 still had the fullsized models in stock for that steal of a price. Sadly, the fullsized that I know of, in stock regularly, is in .40 that is anywhere close to that price.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/787807452

Not my auction. But I bought my p99c 9mm from them, RIGHT before the 339 stock was announced here on the forums. The transaction was great, it went really smooth, shipping was really, really fast, and as luck would have it, the NIC actually DID NOT delay. So I literally had the pistol in hand 3 days after the purchase.

Right at about 520 after all said and done, but the guy didn't mention his FFL transfer fees, so that's clearly gonna effect the total end price.
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p99/112428-p99as-sale-primary-arms-489-99-a.html

https://grabagun.com/walther-p99as-9mm-4-bl-2-15rd.html $510 shipped. I've done biz with these guys too. Another really great, no complaint transaction, and they do layaway. Edit- Grabagun's prices just went up. They're not at the $500 pricepoint any longer. End edit.

I'm sure there may be some others around as well, those are just a couple that I happened to know of, from people that I've dealt with, or that had been mentioned Here.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
I have a 99c and constantly have the 15 round mags in it. All said and done...I think I would just as soon have the P99 with the slightly longer barrel and the grip I essentially have with the compact and extended mags with fillers. But, I'm happy enough not to change.. 1917

·
Registered
160 Posts
So, is $400 OTD a good price for a LNIB P99AS 9mm with three mags?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My opinion is that it's very doable. That's about 100-150 less than what I can find on them online, NEW, right now. Plus, you're getting an extra mag thrown in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts