Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to see a new P99 with the extended mag release lever today. It was a .40 cal, AF date code, AS model.

The levers were very stout and I actually liked them a lot. It was a little easier on my trigger finger to reach the lever. They didn't appear to be reinforced at all. There was very slight flexing if I pressed hard enough, but I don't think these things will break, unless you really tried hard to do so. They were nice and flush against the frame also.

I wonder if this change has come about as a result of the patent law suit that H&K filed?

Of curious note, the guy behind the counter told me that S&W imports the P99's into the country in parts and then assembles them here in the States. Don't know if that is true or not, but he said they did that to save on some 17% importation tax on firearms.

Anyone else hear this?

·
Registered
471 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I wonder if this change has come about as a result of the patent law suit that H&K filed?
I've been wondering what that law suit was about.... It would sure be interesting to know for sure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]to save on some 17% importation tax on firearms.
Anyone else hear this?
No, but I don't doubt that one little bit. Seems as though "they" look for any little reason to tax us more, so we have to look for any little loop hole to stay ahead of the tax curve. I hope that information is bogus however, because if it's true, it won't be long until the loop hole is closed, and the 17% still gets shoved up our mag well!

·
Registered
310 Posts
You know, the only reported sightings of the AF model with the extended mag release have been in .40 (This one and the one DTQ has on lay away). I wonder if they are making them in 9mm also....

Likewise, the two sighted were AS models. DTQ saw a QA model of the AF but it had the standard mag releases. Hmmm....

·
Registered
141 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (P88 @ Mar. 29 2005,9:39)]I got to see a new P99 with the extended mag release lever today.  It was a .40 cal, AF date code, AS model.

The levers were very stout and I actually liked them a lot.  It was a little easier on my trigger finger to reach the lever.  They didn't appear to be reinforced at all.  There was very slight flexing if I pressed hard enough, but I don't think these things will break, unless you really tried hard to do so.  They were nice and flush against the frame also.  

I wonder if this change has come about as a result of the patent law suit that H&K filed?

Of curious note, the guy behind the counter told me that S&W imports the P99's into the country in parts and then assembles them here in the States.  Don't know if that is true or not, but he said they did that to save on some 17% importation tax on firearms.

Anyone else hear this?
i guess your going to buy the AF Walther p99

your a walther nuts lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
So is the lever made of plastic or metal?

If it's made in .40, I'm sure 9mm will come out soon or later. I personally like this design from what I've seen, but I am rather dismayed that S&W has been influencing the Walther German design and putting more and more featurs of S&W99 into the P99. This lever seems to be a good idea though, but I hope they have a metal re-bar inside the polymer.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lever was plastic (polymer).  It appeared to be very robust and not easily breakable.  Although, we've all seen the magazine baseplate issue.  

I probably won't get one with the new lever anytime soon.  I'm too interested in long range rifles right now.  When I see a tan colored P99, I may just break that interest though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 05 (AF date stamp) P99 AS in .40 S&W has the extended magazine release levers, and they are polymer.

I don't notice any flex in them under the normal pressure required to release the magazines, but I guess if I wanted to reef on them I could probably get them to bend or break. It might take using something as a pry bar to break them though...

·
Registered
356 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (P88 @ Mar. 29 2005,6:39)]I wonder if this change has come about as a result of the patent law suit that H&K filed?
P88,

Walther actually holds the patent for the magazine release: 5,628,134. Look it up. The magazine was changed in order to make it easier to manipulate. In other words, to satisfy a larger number of users.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts