Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided I have to get a P99 in .40. I'm not sure which model to get. I had decided on the single action, but I've heard the DAO has a very nice consistant trigger pull, I'm not familiar with the QA. Unfortunately my range does not have any of these for rentals so I will not have a chance to compare first hand. What are some opinions?

·
Registered
76 Posts
QA is DAO. I have handled a regular P99 and a QA and went with the QA cause the trigger out of the box was smoother nevermind how it is once it got broken in.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The P99 QA does have a slightly shorter trigger pull than the P99's single action pull. However, the QA has a slightly higher pull weight.

If I were you, I'd reconsider the double action/single action model. The trigger pulls of the P99 and P99 QA are very similar. However, I feel that as a carry weapon, the P99 DA/SA is much safer. A decocked P99 will fire in DA mode, but a decocked P99 QA will not. So to keep the QA ready, you have to have it chambered and half-cocked. Also, it is just as easy to cock a P99 as it is a P99 QA.

The P99 has second-strike capability should a round ever misfire. Although the P99 QA is a DAO pistol, I am not sure if it has second-strike capability since it fires from a half-cocked position. I'm sure somebody on this board can provide this useful information.

If the QA it not able to restrike a misfired round, I would think that reason is enough to go for a P99 DA/SA instead.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The QA does not have second strike capability (ala the Glock/Steyr M/S). The P990 if you can find one, is DAO with 11-13lb pull and second strike capability. The one I have has a very nice smooth trigger pull.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
122 Posts
I recommend the DA/SA version over the QA version for the same reasons as Ni3 Frontier.  I have owned both versions.  Both are excellent pistols.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Go with the trigger system you like best. I've had both and like the QA better.

Don't get hung up on second strike capabilities. Ask yourself, "do I really want to trust a potentially dud round to a second strike, or do I want to train myself properly in the defensive use of a handgun and learn to rack that slide and chamber a fresh new round in a faster time than it would take to try a 'second strike', thus insuring myself that I have a fresh round in the tube while I'm in a life threatening situation?"

·
Registered
124 Posts
Devon is absolutely right. Second strike is a waste of time. If I have a round that fails to fire the first time it will likely fail to fire the second time. I don't even mess around at the range trying to fire duds or light strikes.

If you get in a bad situation you will not rise to the occassion, you will default to your level of training. -About twenty years ago this meant two LAPD were killed with their hands in their pockets holding spent casings because the police range used to make them police their own brass as they shot. It doesn't do that anymore.

For me, the QA was perfect. I prefer not to switch between DA/SA. Learning one trigger pull is easier than getting accustomed to two.

As for safety, since the striker is only partially cocked, I don't see any safety advantage between one system vs. the other. It's not cocked far enough back in its pre-set position to cause the weapon to discharge if it somehow went forward.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recommend that you do a bit of checking around and see if you can find a range that rents either the P-99 or the S&W with the different actions.

FYI - I have shot a lot of rounds thru a Glock, a 92FS and a S&W 3913. My wife got a P-99 with the SA/DA trigger. During the course of shopping we shot this variant and the QA along with a number of other firearms.

For me the Glock trigger feels right for that gun. However, when I got my P-99, I also got the DA/SA. My take is that the trigger preference comes down to how you exactly cycle the trigger on the particular gun.

Good luck with your decision.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts