Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out approximately what year my P99 was made from the serial number.

I've read through the forum and could not find a clear answer.

Mine is a:
=========
9mm P99

Long mag release lever but short slide lock
Serial is FALxxxx

All I can find is it could be from 2004-2020.

But maybe someone here has one they bought new say in 2012 that starts with FAL or FAXxxxx Or maybe the year they made the slide lock from short to longer.

Then I would be able to narrow down the manufacturer date a little closer.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
From a Sticky in the PP/PPK section:

Also of note is the Walther method for marking the date of pistols with two letters. Here are the corresponding numbers:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A B C D E F G H I K

or ...

A = 0
B = 1
C = 2
D = 3
E = 4
F = 5
G = 6
H = 7
I = 8
K = 9

A gun marked AE, for example, would have a born-on date of 2004; a gun with a GF stamp would have been made in 1965. (Note that the J is not used.)

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
A gun marked AE, for example, would have a born-on date of 2004; a gun with a GF stamp would have been made in 1965. (Note that the J is not used.)
A GF date coded Walther gun doesn't exist until now. Maybe such a gun will be manufactured and proofed in 2065. The date code for a 1965 Walther gun is 65.

The use of "I" and "J" depends on the proof house. Walther guns proofed in Cologne in 2018 for example show BJ while Walther guns proofed in Ulm show BI as date code.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From a Sticky in the PP/PPK section:

Also of note is the Walther method for marking the date of pistols with two letters. Here are the corresponding numbers:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A B C D E F G H I K

or ...

A = 0
B = 1
C = 2
D = 3
E = 4
F = 5
G = 6
H = 7
I = 8
K = 9

Are you saying in addition to the 3 letters in the serial number there are a two letter date code somewhere? Take a look at this pistol. I don't see any 2 letter data code.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are you saying in addition to the 3 letters in the serial number there are a two letter date code somewhere? Take a look at this pistol. I don't see any 2 letter data code.

Not in the date code but in the proofs.

Here you see “DE” proofs then “BE”. The BE code will indicate ‘14 for the year of manufacture.

“BC” which I think yours has, would indicate ‘12 as year of manufacture.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
The date code of your P99 is BC thus 2012.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not in the date code but in the proofs.

Here you see “DE” proofs then “BE”. The BE code will indicate ‘14 for the year of manufacture.

“BC” which I think yours has, would indicate ‘12 as year of manufacture.

thanks for clearing that up, yes its much fainter than the photo you provided but it has to be 2012 as they did not make it in 2002 at least not that style of P99.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
You're still not on track. BC means '12. i.e. 2012. Since a, Walther didn't use letter codes like that in 1912 and b, they didn't make the P99 in 1912.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're still not on track. BC means '12. i.e. 2012. Since a, Walther didn't use letter codes like that in 1912 and b, they didn't make the P99 in 1912.

Balogh has it right, take a look at the previous posts. Was just hard to see it in the photo I provided.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No Proof marks

I just picked up and finished cleaning my used LEO (Spanish Guard) trade-in P99. Wanted to figure out when it was made. Looking at this thread and others is helpful, except mine doesn't have any proof marks as far as I can tell.
Any ideas on finding out?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,509 Posts
Check the frame forward of the trigger guard on the right (I believe) side beneath the rail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts