Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a choice for christmas
I have to pick between a Walther P99QA or a Springfield XD service model.
Has anyone compared the 2 pistols?
I know it is a Walther forum and most here are prob partial to the Walther.
What I want to know is why is one better that the other?
thanks

·
Registered
910 Posts
I am not familiar with the P99 QA - my P99's (2) are both AS but I did own an XD40 Service, XD357 Service and currently an XD45 compact, and all I can say is that all are excellent guns. I never had a problem with any of them but needed two for trade bait on something bigger and better so I bid them farewell. What did I like about them? Excellent ergonomics, the growing availability of after-market gizmos, the ability to use the Don Guide Rod with various weight recoil springs in the .40 and .357 SIG (go to XDTalk.com - Don has his own room over there) to adjust for different power loads, but more importantly; there are two guys that do incredible trigger jobs on the XD for not a lot of money: Springer Precision and Canyon Creek.

·
Registered
186 Posts
a choice for christmas
I have to pick between a Walther P99QA or a Springfield XD service model.
Has anyone compared the 2 pistols?
I know it is a Walther forum and most here are prob partial to the Walther.
What I want to know is why is one better that the other?
thanks
I have a 9mm P99 and I had an XD40 4". Both are really good guns, The trigger on the P99 is a bit better than the XD, but I have a AS model. I have only dry fired the QA model, but I really like it. It's not too long and not too heavy. The draw backs of the older model XD's is the finish, so make sure it was made after 2007. For carry purposes, I guess I like the XD better for the grip safty, but the P99QA is a very safe design too with lots of internal safties built in. Obviously I like the P99 better, but you need to get the one that you are more comfortable with. The XD40 is a really great gun and you won't be disappointed in either choice.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have a 9mm P99 and I had an XD40 4". Both are really good guns, The trigger on the P99 is a bit better than the XD, but I have a AS model. I have only dry fired the QA model, but I really like it. It's not too long and not too heavy. The draw backs of the older model XD's is the finish, so make sure it was made after 2007. For carry purposes, I guess I like the XD better for the grip safty, but the P99QA is a very safe design too with lots of internal safties built in. Obviously I like the P99 better, but you need to get the one that you are more comfortable with. The XD40 is a really great gun and you won't be disappointed in either choice.
I believe the start of all Melonite models pre-dates 2007, more like 2006. Further info can be had at XDTalk.com or by simply calling Springfield. The XD45 had Melonite impregnated into the slide's base metal from inception. Keep in mind Melonite is not a "finish" but is chemistry embedded into the metal and it extends fairly deep - it is a trade name and basically the same chemistry as Glock Tenifer. The XD's exterior slide finish is nothing more than that, a blackened finish. Bottom line if you buy a new XD today, it has Melonite. If you see one used that you're interested in, provide the s/n to Springfield and they'll let you know. I strongly advise against buying a pre-Melonite XD. They were more prone to rust.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What did I like about them? Excellent ergonomics, the growing availability of after-market gizmos, there are two guys that do incredible trigger jobs on the XD for not a lot of money:
you won't have to bother with trigger jobs and after-market gizmos with the Walther ;) though i might be biased

·
Registered
910 Posts
you won't have to bother with trigger jobs and after-market gizmos with the Walther ;) though i might be biased
I like my Walther P99 too (it's one of my favorite guns) but until you fire an XD with a Springer Precision 4# carry trigger, I'd hold off on that assumption. I hold no loyalty to any brand, variety is the spice of life. :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have to ask, and please don't take any disrespect but why does everyone want to throw junk on there gun. First off 98% of civilian people who buy a light either don't use it or don't train for it. Lights can get you killed faster then fumbling in the dark if your not careful. Lastly what the hell else are you going screw with? Recoil spring guide rods are a poor choice to mess with unless your race gunning. If your doing that then you probably are tweaking everything.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I agree with Inferno... i have no light for my Walther, nor do i feel any need to have one. Nor a laser. My house has lights. ;) I'm planning on night sights, but dont feel disadvantaged with not having 1200 doodads available for my gun (ala Glock).

At most, I've a bit of interest in clipping the recoil spring to see how it affects the muzzle flip... and replacing it, if it doesn't work out. Beyond that, I'm leaving it nearly stock.

thorn

·
Registered
910 Posts
"Recoil spring guide rods are a poor choice to mess with unless your race gunning. If your doing that then you probably are tweaking everything."

I think in the case of the XD you need to do some research as different guns lend themselves to certain upgrades, please don't take offense. The Don Guide Rod system allows the use of a non-captured recoil spring in the XD and while I have no serious complaint with the XD OEM captured recoil spring assembly, the ability to change recoil springs - in the case of the XD40/357 Service, you have the option of using a 22, 24 pound spring does a make a noticeable difference in felt recoil and your ability to get back on target, and all things being equal, non-captured recoil spring assemblies are less prone to breakage. In short, the Don Guide Rod system in the XD provides an edge for the competitor/target shooter. But you would not know this unless you actually owned an XD and experienced it first-hand. Be careful with blanket, across the board statements. And to imply that if you after-market one thing you're after-marketing everything is simply not true. Most shooter choose their parts carefully.

Having said all that, when carrying an XD40, XD9 or XD357 SIG Service,, I would still opt to keep the OEM part in but many XD owners have no qualms about using the Don Guide Rod for carry/home defense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts