Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree, the SW99 is a great piece. I bought one as a companion piece to my P99 and P99c.

A call to Walther USA or S&W will get you a new backstrap. Mine split and fell apart into 5 or 6 pieces one day... I still have no idea why. There were no cracks evident beforehand, it just fell apart... bummer.

I made calls to both Walther and S&W and to my surprise, they both sent me a new backstrap at no charge.

I had put those calls off for a while, expecting long hold times and a snotty CS rep... but I was wrong. Both had GREAT CS with great reps and had my part(s) in my mailbox within a few days.

BTW, nice collection of '99s. I EDC my P99c in the winter... it's the best platform for carry ever devised, IMO. Funny how just a little nip and tuck at the muzzle end of the slide makes the Walther so much more attractive (again, imo).

·
Registered
736 Posts
I was surprised that S&W still had parts in stock for the SW99's I called them when I got my 45 from Gun Broker it was missing the rear sight and plunger and only had one magazine.
I assumed they would tell me they didn't have these parts anymore, but they had everything in stock.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
does any else find the tolerances for the slide-barrel machining a little loose on the sw99 as compared to the p99? (or is MR9 just that good at machining?) i dont own a p99 to compare, but it may just have something to do with the flare/taper of the sw99 barrel. i have a used sw99c

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was surprised that S&W still had parts in stock for the SW99's I called them when I got my 45 from Gun Broker it was missing the rear sight and plunger and only had one magazine.
I assumed they would tell me they didn't have these parts anymore, but they had everything in stock.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
How long ago was this?
Do they have magazines & backstraps still? For the SW99 45.
Or backstraps for the SW99c? I wonder...

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
If not, in the long run, am I better off getting the S&W instead of the Walther?
The S&W had a stainless slide and barrel with a melonite treatment. The Walther has a carbon steel slide and barrel with a tenifer treatment. Other than this, they are pretty similar.

I'd go with the P99 since it is still in production. I doubt S&W has spare frames for the SW99 for example, and who knows how long they will stock parts? The P99 is still in production and has been sold to police and military agencies all over the world. Parts for the P99 should be available as long as the pistols are still in use. The SW99 didn't sell that well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If not, in the long run, am I better off getting the S&W instead of the Walther?
The S&W had a stainless slide and barrel with a melonite treatment. The Walther has a carbon steel slide and barrel with a tenifer treatment. Other than this, they are pretty similar.
-
This is great news, never knew the SW had a stainless side and barrel!
Interesting.
--
I'd go with the P99 since it is still in production.
-
I wanna get a P99, but the SW99c was cheaper at the time... $300
& It's feels like history in your hands.
--
I doubt S&W has spare frames for the SW99 for example,
-
You're probably right.
I bet they made an upper for every single lower Walther sent them, just like Magnum Research did.
However, I can swap my slides back and forth between frames with no issues and they all function.
--
and who knows how long they will stock parts?
-
prolly till nos/nib is gone...
--
Parts for the P99 should be available as long as the pistols are still in use. The SW99 didn't sell that well.
I have swapped frames. 😁

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Are you saying that they still have replacement frames available for a pistol that was discontinued 12 years ago?

That's interesting to hear. It may not have been a good example, but I'd still go with the Walther for the same reasons that I posted above.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Are you saying that they still have replacement frames available for a pistol that was discontinued 12 years ago?

That's interesting to hear. It may not have been a good example, but I'd still go with the Walther for the same reasons that I posted above.
I know for a fact there are no frames left at MR...I asked. SW, IDK, but I doubt it.

No, I'm not saying there are new frames available.
I'm saying my slide will fit on your frame and work, and vice versa. Lol

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
I'm saying my slide will fit on your frame and work, and vice versa.
True, but the OP was asking about things such as factory warranties on the first post.

I'm not sure if S&W could honor that with a pistol that has been out of production for over a decade.

·
Registered
96 Posts
the OP was asking about things such as factory warranties on the first post.

I'm not sure if S&W could honor that with a pistol that has been out of production for over a decade.
I follow. Yes, Walther for warranty. (Not something that I'm terribly worried about considering the quality of the firearms in question, but i smell what you're stepping in...)

·
Registered
96 Posts
The S&W had a stainless slide and barrel with a melonite treatment.
Does this mean I can remove the bluing and mirror polish the slide and barrel?

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Does this mean I can remove the bluing and mirror polish the slide and barrel?
As far as corrosion is concerned, I'd say that it depends.

The "blueing" is practically useless in regards to corrosion resistance on these pistols. I'd say that it does absolutely nothing to prevent corrosion, as I've had corrosion on my PPQ on top of the blueing. What prevents corrosion and allows Walther to put one of the worst finishes I've ever encountered on these pistols, is the fact that the slide and barrel are nitrocarburized, which means that there is a very thin outer layer of treated metal that is very hard, and resistant to corrosion.

If you want to polish the outer layer of metal on the pistol, you always risk taking this outer layer of metal off, which would destroy the corrosion resistance of the pistol. I don't know how thick that layer of metal is, if it is that thick on all sections of the slide and barrel, or how much metal is taken off during polishing. I've also never polished the slide and/or barrel of a Walther.

Because of this, I'd advise against it until you have more information.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.