Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a carry gun and I'm trying to decide between these excellent guns in 9mm , but I don't see many diferencies between them, they fit nice in my hand (i'm right handed), are almost the same size and weight, the Steyr and the HK being the smaller ones. I like of the HK USP-C that it seems to be more popular and there are more accesories for it. I have a Walther P-5 C and it is excellent but I want a gun that carry more rounds and that could sustain more abuse and shooting practice. Wich one would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
HK USPc is a fine pistol...but it is really no compact when compared to a p99. P99 has better ergonomics and holds more rounds...P99c is not a compact as much as it is a subcompact.... out of your list I would say it is a toss up between the USPc and the P99...I own 2 P99's so what does that tell you. ZERO problems with either gun. I have had some minor problems with my P22's and if I was to choose between the HK or Walther, I'd go with Walther...their customer service is the best around.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Okay, what follows in my own personal opinion.

USPc: Costs too much (when compared to P99). Feels top heavy. Bore axis is higher than P99. Only has a 13 round magazine, but is the same size as the P99. Looks real sharp in stainless. Also, the stainless + polymer doesn't show ANY wear.

Sig Pro: I have never shot one, but all the sig fans I know swear by the alloy guns (not the new polymer ones).

MA1: I am not sure how closely this resembles the M9 I shot, but the M9 was a fine gun. However, I prefer to carry a traditional DA/SA with no external safeties.

FN P-9: no ideas

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mmm, I'm beginning to make up my mind, I find the P99 full size an excellent choice but rather a little long (P99c would have been a good choice but don't support well my pinkie finger), I'm still considering the USP-C as several friends have it and say it is excellent, besides in internet it says it has meet rigorous torture tests, The HK 2000 looks fine but seems like a USP remake...The FN P-9 is the same Browning PRO-9 some comments on this gun? It looks really good. I'm already forgeting the Steyr (no traditional DA/SA) and the Sig-Pro. Keep giving me ideas, Thanks!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I own both the Walther , the Steyr M and the MA1.
The MA1 has a lower bore axis, the felt recoil is less than the P99. I can make follow up shots a lot faster with the Steyr than I can with my P99

Grip, slight edge to the P99, not by much

accuracy, It's a toss up
Ease of take down, Steyr

Trigger, AS trigger is better, Steyr is a great trigger for a "Glock" style trigger. Six of one half dozen of the other. Depends on the style of trigger you want. If you want a non Da/Sa trigger Steyr is the one to get. very short re set, almost no take up and crisp like a 1911 (just heavier)

Construction, I would say the Steyr is a bit more robust, everything is mounted to a steel sub frame. No pins going through polymer . It is also way more modular so service is going to be easier. Steyr has a built in lock I don't use mine at all.

Steyr in 40 has a fully supported chamber. I think Walther does also. Barrel is conventinal rifling so lead is OK, don't know about the walther on this.

Steyr has a standard magazine release, this may not mean anything to some. For me as a Police Officer it has a "standard" manual of arms in the event I need to switch duty weapons.

Both are tennifer, the Walther blued slide is nicer than the Steyr phosphate.

Current MA1 has standard tac light mount as does the newest Walther.

Walther, more choices and easier to find holsters for. The MA1 only has 3 current makers and none of them are "gun show" types. This is changing. night sites are going to rare for the Steyr. The trapazoid sights are really great and are pretty accurate also once you get used to them.

Steyr is lower priced than a Walther by around $100.00 or more.

Take your pick. Both are excellent weapons.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Excellent comparison madecov! It almost made me consider the Styer again! If it wouldn't had that "Glock" style trigger... but I am used to the trigger of the Walther P-5c (wich by the way is excellent) so I'm still deciding between P99, USP-C, Browning PRO-9. Thank you for you comments.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Man, this guy has me wanting to buy a Steyr. I do like the sights- thought they looked overly fancy till I held one, but I really felt like I could aquire that front sight quickly. I will have to look at those again next time im at the gun shop.

·
Registered
88 Posts
All great choices, and no matter which one you get you'll be happy.

Substitute a CZ for the HK and I was facing pretty much the same decision you were when I chose my P99.

The HK is sweet, but costs at least $150 more than the next cheapest option (P99). It's bore axis is going to give more felt recoil, and it holds 3 fewer rounds in the mag.

The FN P9 sure feels nice in the hand, but I haven't shot one. It has all the classic controls in the classic places, but I can't stand that. I prefer lever style mag releases, the pushbutton style decocker, and simply can't stand manual safeties.

The Steyr is sweet. The only reason I went with the P99 over the Steyr is the trigger. The grip is angled more than I tend to prefer, but man the recoil virtually disappears in the 9mm version. The trapezoid sights are cool, fast, and seemed plenty accurate. The manual safety is a non issue for me since it can't engage on accident, so that's cool.

The P99....wow....what can I say. This is what I ended up choosing and I couldn't be happier. The grip is just outstanding. Draw and fire, Draw and fire...every time 9 ring or better. Scary accuracy, miniscule trigger reset, 16+1 capacity, vitually maintenance free design. This has my vote all the way, but this IS a Walther forum :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nice review madecov.

All I can say is that I have shot the USP-C and it wasn't comfortable compared to the P99.  I also don't like the extra step needed to release manual safeties.  HK is top of the line equipment and for a couple hundred bucks more its still a good gun to buy but you get less interchangibility, less capacity and less money for practice ammo.  Practicing with your gun is more important than the gun itself.

Nice choice of firearms though...shows you research and don't pick your guns because they are popular or featured in a flashy magazine or other moronic reasons.

·
Registered
72 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (onebigcubano @ Oct. 13 2005,20:03)]I also don't like the extra step needed to release manual safeties.
Just for the record, you can get the USPc in decock only trim.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
one last question... Glock owners say their guns are guaranteed for 40,000 rounds, HK site says the USP-C is guaranteed for +20,000 +P rounds but i have seen no Walther site talk about they durability, I am sure that Walther won't sell a gun without been sure that is of good quality and can sustain a lot of rounds. Here is the question... How many rounds would you say you can fire from a P99 before some part get broken?

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
That is a loaded question. Quite often a spring will break here or there. Lifetime, you probably could fire over 200k in a glock. But you will have parts changed along the way. A part could break tomorrow, or 5 years from now. That number isn't very accurate. You can go to various websites and read complaints abouts omething breaking quickly, and the next guy will say "mine is great, no problems."

·
Registered
328 Posts
The NEW MA1

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The M1A1 is a step up from Glock but a step down from a Walther...reminds me of the water pistols at amusement parks used to blow up balloons...IMHO

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if only the Steyr didn't have that "glock style trigger"...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As I already have a P-5c and it is great...I think i'll be buying the P99 at the end...

·
Registered
328 Posts
The trigger may be "Glock" style. But it's in a different class.

Much crisper. Almost no take up. Uber fast re set.

I love both my Walther P99 A/s and my Steyr's. It's very difficult to pick one over the other.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have several Steyr M and S series pistols and two Walthers: a pre-2004 P99AS Military 9mm and 2004 P99QA Titanium .40 S&W.

In 9mm I prefer my Steyr M9 over my P99 for three reasons: the M9 has a manual safety...I gravitate towards guns with manual safeties; the trapezoid triangle sights which are very easy to line up and the low bore axis which translates to minimal muzzle rise leading to quicker shots on targets. That's not to say that I don't like my P99....it's a fantastic gun....I manage to get mine NIB with 2 extra mags and Trijicon night sights for $500. I also LOVE the AS trigger. I shoot both guns well.

In full-size .40 S&W I prefer my P99 because my M40 is not as reliable as my P99. However, my compact S40 is the winner in my book since it has all of the attribute I mentioned, above, in a smaller package firing a bigger bullet. I also prefer the Steyr trigger to the QA trigger.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts