Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new P2000 LEM 9mm arrived today.
Initial impressions are very favorable.
Second best feeling pistol I own (P99 is #1) very ergonomic, and has 4 backstraps for adjustment.
While very close in size (the P2000 is 1/2" shorter in the slide than a P99) the P2000 has a more compact feel to it.
The P2000 definately has more mass up high than a P99, but the unique H&K recoil spring system may balance out the muzzle flip that usually accompanies a higher bore axis.
The LEM is very nice, not as good as the std. trigger P99, but far nicer than a P99QA especially in the reset. It feels like a cross between a P99QA and a Glock. It has the QA's longer initial pull, but a reset similar to the Glocks. Like a Glock NY1 trigger with more take-up.
I haven't been to the range yet so a side by side firing comparison will have to wait until tomorrow. I have 1000 rounds of Winchester just waiting to get shot.
I'll post more after getting to the range.

·
Registered
144 Posts
NM .... Finally, I've been waiting for days for your report, thought you picked it up right before last weekend. Please share your firing experience as well.

I handled the P2000 a couple times, agreed that it's overall slightly smaller than P99 and fits the hand quite well. It's a DAO model, without the decocker tab at the back.

I'm puzzled by the published specs: (mm)
P99 ....... 180L x 135H x 29W
P2000 .... 178L x 128H x 34W

I thought it's somewhat misleading just go by the numbers without actually handling it, especially the width.

Let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
8 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (NM_P99 @ Mar. 16 2004,10:36)]My new P2000 LEM 9mm arrived today.
Initial impressions are very favorable.
Second best feeling pistol I own (P99 is #1) very ergonomic, and has 4 backstraps for adjustment.
While very close in size (the P2000 is 1/2" shorter in the slide than a P99) the P2000 has a more compact feel to it.
The P2000 definately has more mass up high than a P99, but the unique H&K recoil spring system may balance out the muzzle flip that usually accompanies a higher bore axis.
The LEM is very nice, not as good as the std. trigger P99, but far nicer than a P99QA especially in the reset. It feels like a cross between a P99QA and a Glock. It has the QA's longer initial pull, but a reset similar to the Glocks. Like a Glock NY1 trigger with more take-up.
I haven't been to the range yet so a side by side firing comparison will have to wait until tomorrow. I have 1000 rounds of Winchester just waiting to get shot.
I'll post more after getting to the range.
I handled both the QA and a P2000 this weekend, and the reset was nearly identical on both. Both were new, although the QA was NOT the 2004 model, meaning it's not the one shown at SHOT.

One was not appreciably longer than the other.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually own both a P99QA and a P2000 LEM.
The P99QA trigger must go all the way forward which is around .30" in order to reset, the LEM will reset at right around .25".
While it does not seem like a lot of difference in travel, the positive click reset on the LEM is MUCH nicer than the somewhat vague reset on the QA. If you shoot both side by side, you can definately feel the difference (and the H&K wins the comparison easily). The std. P99 has a far shorter reset though, and is a much nicer trigger IMO.
My P2000 spec sheet gives an OAL of 173mm vs. the P99 at 180mm.
I managed to get off around 150 rounds thru the P2000 and 50 thru my std. P99, in a side by side comparison.
Recoil on the P2000 was very mild, especially considering the short length and higher bore axis.
I did have some trouble with going left initially, I was getting too much finger on the trigger. A switch to larger backstrap would solve that problem. Once I placed only the pad of my finger on the trigger I was easily making one ragged hole at 7 yards.
When I shot the P99 and P2000 side by side, I was faster and more consistantly accurate with the P99 (but I also have 30k rounds experience with this particular P99) but the H&K definately held it own. My only problem was under rapid fire, I'd tend to start getting more and more finger on the trigger and start pushing left. But like I said, a larger backstrap would take care of that.
In the 150 rounds the P2000 performed flawlessly.
The magazines load to 10 easily, and positively lock into place and eject smoothly.
Fit and finish are typical H&K, ie: as good as it gets. No machine marks, and the inside is as polished as the outside.
While the P2000 isn't nice enough to replace my P99 Military as my carry gun, it is superior to my wifes P99QA. My wife hasn't shot it yet, but after dry-firing she has just about decided the P2000 will replace her P99QA as long as it doesn't do anything funky at the range. She is planning to run 300-500 rounds thru it this weekend, and another 300 next weekend. I'll post the details of her range session later this coming weekend.
The P2000 is a very slick pistol, not good enough to de-throne my P99, but definately better than a P99QA.
IMHO of course.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Airfix @ Mar. 17 2004,12:36)]NM .... Finally, I've been waiting for days for your report, thought you picked it up right before last weekend.
Unfortunately, the guy I bought it from was out of town on business for a few days last week and wasn't able to ship it to me until Friday. I was expecting it last Thursday or so.
It was a long weekend waiting on my new toy.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's official.
The P99QA now resides in the safe.
My wife has over 500 rounds thru the P2k now, and she has determined that it's her new primary pistol.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After I get a P99 compact.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Same here. My range/dealer ordered the P99c in both DA/SA and QA versions. Different S&W/Walther reps gave slightly different stories, but they all indicated a poor coordination between Walther Germany and S&W, hence the release date cannot be confirmed. So far the earliest version would be in early May. Perhaps we'll hear more in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
NM_P99,

I know that you compared the P2000 and P99 in shooting drills and mentioned that the P99 still shoots better for you.

But, how did the P2000's accuracy compare to the P99 in deliberate slow fire?

Tim

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At 25 yards offhand I was able to keep all rounds in a 6" group easily.
That is about as good as I can do with any pistol.
But for fast work, the trigger still gets me, my wife loves it though, and thats all that matters since it's now her pistol.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The P2000 is a very slick pistol.
I think that with some trigger time I would really like it.
But I have so much time and ammo invested in my P99, and it works so well for me, that I don't have any compelling reason to switch to the H&K.
My wife on the other hand, had fairly minimal trigger time with her P99QA, and a lot with her Glock 19. And she chose the P2K over both of them.
It's a personal thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts