Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! First time poster. I've searched around in the forums, but can't really seem to find answers.

I'll be turning 21 next week, and thus, I'll be purchasing my first handgun. I've been shooting .22's and .38 revolvers since I was 13, and have a great deal of range time. However, it was only a little while back I got to try out some 9mm's, .40's and .45 ACP's. I tried a Ruger P89, a Glock 19, and a CZ 75 in 9mm. This is definitely the cartridge for me, as I'm a smaller guy, and I love how cheap 9mm is.

I recently bought (just for the heck of it), an airsoft replica of the P99. This sparked my interest in the gun, and I went down to a few gun shops to find a real model, however, I was only presented with the Smith and Wesson SW99. Even so, I fell in love with the grip. Most guns seemed pretty awkward in my hands, and I'm picky about everything.

After reading a lot, and asking a lot of opinions, I hear some drastic comments between the SW99 and the P99. I know of their build differences and all, but here are my questions:

1.) I've heard about the "gritty" trigger up to 500 rounds. How many experience this?

2.) I've heard some complain about reliability with both the P99 as well as the SW99 in terms of stovepiping and other jamming problems.

3.) I've heard others complain that they don't fully trust the new P99's, as they are the joint venture with Smith and Wesson. Others say to find a used one which is 100% German made. (This is a problem, as I want my first handgun purchase to be brand new. I'm a stickler for new items.)

4.) What is everyone's honest opinion about the new (year 2005+) P99's?

5.) The majority seems to say that the P99 is superior in build than the SW99. Why is it that the SW99 is always more expensive than the P99? (at least at the three shops I visited.)

6.) Why doesn't Walther of America list the AS variant on their website? Any reason why they show the QA only? I assume the SA is still widely avaliable for purchase?

My other choices for a gun are the CZ P01 and the Springfield XD. But my mind keeps coming back to the unique Walther and the fantastic grip I can get on it. If I do indeed go with Walther, I'll be going for the AS version over the QA.

Any help with this would be great! I hope I can make my mind up by next week  

P.S.- It also made me a bit sad that they only offer the Titanium coating in the QA model. No fair!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
WOW
alot of questions......
since I never shot the S&W99 I won't comment on it... but let me tell you that the only model shown on S&W webpage is the S&W990L anymore (double action only) I assume this is due to the new S&W M&P lineup...... so you won't be getting a NIB S&W99 anymore unless you find one sitting at a dealer...

I never had one reliablity problem with my P99 ...... none.. nothing at all....
There is not many P99 that S&W made slide and barrel for... if you find a P99/AS and it has the German proofs on it.... it is 100% German.... though some might argue about this... but that's how it is... the only difference from the S&W imported P99 and the "EURO" P99  .... sights..... (Euro has metal sights and the rear sight is not 2 dots, but rather like a square U ) and well yea the Import markings on the S&W import....

the Titanium coated P99 is not in production anymore.... only black , OD green and the Dessert Sand (last one in .40SW only)

the trigger will work itself in easily with some dryfiring using Snapcaps....

The new P99's 05 and later have no changes but the mag release... at least not that is has been reported otherwise...
some say the short mag release was harder to manipulate... though I don't agree with that....but I guess that is just personal preference....

As to Waltheramerica webpage..... it is in need of a good update... both P99 pics are incorrect..... black is the old style frame... and the Dessert Sand is shown with a 9mm slide...
there was a time (last 6 months) were the P99 was not readily available ... and I belive it was due to Walthers filling government contracts in Europe ..... it is back and the Website just hasn't been updated,,,, and most likely it will take some time again... and lots of complaining.....
S&W however makes up in their customer service department what they lack in the webpage part of the company.......

hope all this helps... what I missed I know others will address....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link, I've already read through that many times

So how was the magazine release changed in design from the old to the new models?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
linky to pic
another linky
here are 2 links to a few pics that were posted here.....
it is just longer about 2 times longer than before.......
oh and I forgot.....since you read through the FAQ page many times......just so you don't go looking on the P99 if you get a 2005 and newer one..... the date code and staghorn are no longer on the frame.... all is on the slide and barrelhood now and all is laseredged......
the "eagle over N' is still on the frame though it is by the triggerguard.....
follow the pages on the first link and you will see a pic of the "newer" slide too

·
Registered
232 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (holycrikey @ May 16 2006,8:45)]Hello everyone! First time poster. I've searched around in the forums, but can't really seem to find answers.

I'll be turning 21 next week, and thus, I'll be purchasing my first handgun. I've been shooting .22's and .38 revolvers since I was 13, and have a great deal of range time. However, it was only a little while back I got to try out some 9mm's, .40's and .45 ACP's. I tried a Ruger P89, a Glock 19, and a CZ 75 in 9mm. This is definitely the cartridge for me, as I'm a smaller guy, and I love how cheap 9mm is.

I recently bought (just for the heck of it), an airsoft replica of the P99. This sparked my interest in the gun, and I went down to a few gun shops to find a real model, however, I was only presented with the Smith and Wesson SW99. Even so, I fell in love with the grip. Most guns seemed pretty awkward in my hands, and I'm picky about everything.

After reading a lot, and asking a lot of opinions, I hear some drastic comments between the SW99 and the P99. I know of their build differences and all, but here are my questions:

1.) I've heard about the "gritty" trigger up to 500 rounds. How many experience this?

2.) I've heard some complain about reliability with both the P99 as well as the SW99 in terms of stovepiping and other jamming problems.

3.) I've heard others complain that they don't fully trust the new P99's, as they are the joint venture with Smith and Wesson. Others say to find a used one which is 100% German made. (This is a problem, as I want my first handgun purchase to be brand new. I'm a stickler for new items.)

5.) The majority seems to say that the P99 is superior in build than the SW99. Why is it that the SW99 is always more expensive than the P99? (at least at the three shops I visited.)

6.) Why doesn't Walther of America list the AS variant on their website? Any reason why they show the QA only? I assume the SA is still widely avaliable for purchase?

My other choices for a gun are the CZ P01 and the Springfield XD. But my mind keeps coming back to the unique Walther and the fantastic grip I can get on it. If I do indeed go with Walther, I'll be going for the AS version over the QA.

P.S.- It also made me a bit sad that they only offer the Titanium coating in the QA model. No fair!
Welcome

1.) Yes the new trigger is a bit gritty though not too bad, once you get a few hundred rounds through it it gets very nice.

2.) I've got over 3500 rounds through mine with not a single FTF or FTE with a factory mag. I've had issues with a crappy ProMag but there's no suprise there.

3.) Nope. The new P99's are 100% German made. The only thing S&W have to do with them is import.

4.) The new P99 is really nice. I wouldn't mind upgrading to an 05+ P99 AS 9mm. I'm kinda partial to the short mag drop since it sits exactly in the right spot. I can't upgrade cost effectivley and if I buy another new handgun I'm thinking about a full size .45 ACP.

5.) It depends on if you're talking about the older or newer SW99's. Check out the P99 FAQ for the scoop on the older ones.

6.) I don't know exaclty why but Walther has been heavily pushing the QA's. I have one and have no real complaints, but the AS trigger is very nice.

Those are also nice guns, but I like the P99 better for a carry gun because it's equally durable and reliable to a Glock with far better ergonomics. The AS also has a better trigger than any other striker fired handgun I can think of.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I really can't add anything to what Toeball and Uncut have said. I have three P99's. An older style frame and newer style in full size and a compact, all 9mm, all AS. No problems with any. Triggers smooth out nicely. I would search this site for a guy by the name of Shipwreck. He has a SW99 that he really likes.

I have fired all of the guns you mentioned and I shoot competition too...I only own Walther's...nuff said?

PS. As per the Airsoft...that was and is a great idea. I have two...I use to practice drawing and "live" fire in my basement. Better to drop $20 and find out that you may or may not like a pistol than drop a few bills and regret your decision. Whatever you get I trust you will enjoy your pistol and feel free to visit this site often. But you did visit a Walther site so you can expect most of us here to be a bit biased...

·
Registered
83 Posts
i'll toss in my $.02 since i've owned all three.

the only one i currently still have is the P-01 and it's what i carry 95% of the time. i owned a .40 P99 AS and had a long-term loaner 9mm P99 AS. although i'm not a .40S&W fan, i wish i still had the .40 and i didn't want to give the 9mm back to my dad
. i also owned an XD9 subcompact, great gun, just too small for my tastes. and i don't need a subcompact-size to CCW due to my build and normal attire. i wasn't carrying it anymore and it isn't exactly a range gun, so i gave it to my dad, who sometimes carries it.

to be brutally honest, not a one of those is a bad choice. they are all quality pistols from qualiity manufacturers (note: springfield armory does not make XD's, they import them only). you just have to figure out which one is best for you. what do you plan to do with it? carry? range/plinking only? home defense? all of the above?

ergonomically, the CZ and walther are superior than the XD for my hands. the XD is a bit 'blocky'. it is also wider than the CZ or walther, which may matter if you are going to CCW it.

i carry a CZ P-01 and also shoot a full-size CZ in matches (where you been, jakestarr? i shot at silver creek this past sunday for the first time
). CZ's seem tailor-made for my hands, and both mine have shot dead-center on POA out of the box and do so very consistently and easily.

i'm a DA/SA kinda guy, so i like the operating systems of the CZ and walther AS triggers more than the XD's SA trigger. i really like the concept of a DA/SA striker-fired pistol with no exposed hammer and another 9mm P99 AS is probably my next pistol purchase. the P99 is a very comfortable CCW carry, so it will spend time on my hip, but i think i'll stick with the big, heavy CZ75 for competitive shooting.

i probably muddied the waters more than i cleared them, but you didn't pay much for my opinion
. have fun with your new pistol. you'll probably like either

frye

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, thanks for the replies! For the question about what my intended purpose for it is, welp, probably a bit of "all of the above." Mainly just target shooting at the range and at rural locations here in NC. Mainly just a good hobby. I plan to get a CCW license down the line, but it isn't a top priority now. I'm also getting a 9mm to train myself, as after I finish up college, I intend to either hit up graduate school, or jump right into the criminal justice field in probation work, thus requiring firearms training. So obviously, a 9mm is a perfect place to start.

I must admit, I'm moving closer and closer to ordering a P99. I just can't get past how great it fits in my hands. Given that the XD and Glock share quite a resemblence, I'm now moving past them. The Glock is just too bulky in my hands, and the XD is just a bit more comfortable.

Final question: I know of the MSRP of a new P99, but what does everyone think a reasonable and fair price is for one (remember, new.) I plan to just order through my local gun shop, and they are flexible with pricing. What should I aim for ideally?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (holycrikey @ May 16 2006,6:45)]1.) I've heard about the "gritty" trigger up to 500 rounds. How many experience this?

1) I've only experienced "gritty" trigger on SW99's

2) Never had a jam of any kind in my P99's that was related to the gun. I've had a couple that were ammo related, mainly my reloads, but I figured out what I was doing wrong and fixed the problem. I've never had a problem with manufactured ammo.

3) I still don't know wether I believe that the P99 is a S&W made gun. (except for the 5000 .40's that were indeed S&W made) I wouldn't worry too much about this, I think its just a rumor.

4) Seem fine to me. I don't own one, but have handled a few and they all seem to be quality guns.

5) That's a switch. I've usually seen the P99 for up to $50 more than the SW99.

6) Because S&W runs it and they don't give a hoot about Walther. They'd rather sell their SW99's or new M&P's

·
Registered
7 Posts
P99 Vs. CZ P01 and Springfield XD

I'll add my 2-centworth as well. Like fryeg7, I've got access or own 2-Walther P-99, 9mm amd 40 S&W, a CZ 85, like the 75, and a compact SA XD compact. (I'm fryeg7 Dad). The P-99 is a great gun and I carry it, some on the waist and mostly in an ankle holster. The SA XD it carry on the waist. I've not carried a full size CZ75/85 but based on fryeg7 comments and a bit on hands-on; the P-01 would be a go carry either on waist or inside the waist band with certain clothes for me at least. A full size CZ is thin but larger frame than the P-99 but could be a carry with right holster and build, clothing style.
The SA XD is a great weapon. I like the grip safety. It is a little more clunky than a P-99 or CZ. What I mean is wider, "squarer". But with a belt holster it conceals very well and it's short size all but elminates the barrel peek-a-boo some longer barrel guns have with shorter shirt tails.
I feel that any of the 3 you've meaned are a fine investiment, reliable, good carry waepon (after you get your CCW). Will give you years of service w/o more than normal maintenance.
I'm a German gun fan-Mauser and Walther especially. If your budget will handle, I'd lean toward the P-99. Great gun, many good features. And I you notice in many different gun forums besides ones dedicated to Walther or P-99; the P-99 is mentioned alot. To me it seems many compare guns against the Walther and especially the P-99.
Happy Birthday when it comes around. Have fun with your decision making and BE SAFE!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welp, I'm now fully confident in my purchase. P99 definitely seems to be the right gun.

Again though, what should I expect in the way of pricing a new P99? I definitely want to argue my way down to the lowest price, but being that this is my first handgun purchase, I'm not sure what is reasonable. Any help?

·
Registered
153 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (holycrikey @ May 16 2006,8:45)]Hello everyone! First time poster. I've searched around in the forums, but can't really seem to find answers.

I have 3 P99s, 9mm and .40sw full sized, old style, and 9mm compact, newer style bought in January. All traditional or AS trigger.

1) Don't worry about the grittiness. My latest P99c didin't have as much and it went away faster than the earilier ones. 500 rnds isn't much...figure at least 100rnds a range trip, once a week...about a month.

2) My first P99 9mm was my first gun. It stovepiped a couple times in the first 300 rnds, but it could've been due to my limp wristing. My P99c has been absolutely perfert and I use it for CCW. Never had problems with .40 P99 either.

3)proof marks...

4) My P99c is the new style, with "classic" mag release. I like the feel, but preferred the old look. For me it wouldn't matter. I haven't handled the ones with the long mag release; not sure I want it. I have long fingers and use the jumbo backstrap and don't have any issue with the classic mag release.

5) I like my Walthers! Don't have the experience to knock the SW99s.

6)Walther's web site sucks. They need to do better in the PR dept to let the public know they sell such a nice gun.

I also own a CZ75B, 9mm and .22 kadet adapter. I mainly use it as a .22. I love my P99 triggers so much more than the CZ.

My $0.02.

Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts